It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Day Z 
Minor Diety

Post Day Z
An Arma II zombie apocalyps survival mod. Very interesting. :)

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/05 ... ore-107588

half expected to see derf in the comment thread :lol:

- Coach

Thu May 10, 2012 3:24 pm
Minor Diety

Post Re: Day Z
Enticing. Like a cross between Stalker and Neo Scavenger. I actually have ArmA 2 from ages ago, but furiously dropped it due to performance issues and general clunkiness with the game. I'll admit the mod looks like a great idea. What puts me off is that it's alpha stage.

Added to my "watch / want" list, along with:

mow skirmish pack 2
Team Assault: Baptism Of Fire
takedown
lone survivor
walking dead
age of decadence
dead state
the banner saga
skyrim
diablo 3
heroes and generals
anna
deadly 30
avernum
tactical intervention
jagged alliance BIA
warlock master of the arcane
day z

Fri May 11, 2012 1:52 am
Minor Diety

hehe, the more I read about it the more exciting it sounds to me. The fact that it's set in a persistent world with other players who may or not be friendly only ups the awesome of this mod. But yeah, sucks about it still being in alpha. It requires Arma 2 + Operation Arrowhead btw, so you'd need to get the expansion first anyway. In fact, Arma 2: Combined Operations (Arma 2 + OA) is actually making a surge on the Steam bestseller list years after release purely thanks to this mod. If any developer still doubts the value of providing modding tools for their game...(see screenshot)

Some fun stories and advice I found:

http://desolateshroud.blogspot.ca/
http://digitalpariah.tumblr.com/post/22 ... sters-dayz
http://thurot.com/2012/05/07/day-one-in-day-z/

Also from the RPS comment thread

Quote:
When you’ve spent 10+hours gathering equipment and beans that someone can take away with the pull of a trigger from 500 yards away you get very protective and very paranoid.

I’m currently holed up in some woods at what feels like 30km – 40km north of the spawn points. I have a very nice backpack full of goods and spend my time raiding small towns for food and water. You cant run in towns, you have to crawl and creep your way into them avoiding the zeds. Alert one and you alert many and they are fast. Last night i spent ten minutes just watching a moonlit town from a hill for signs of other people and I ended watching some poor sod get ripped to bits by a Church.

His first mistake was running on concrete. This alerted 20+ zeds and they bore down on him in a pack from the front gate. At first he was running from them fine and I weighed up helping him but then a sniper shot rung out (which made me shit myself) The guy hit the deck bleeding from the legs unable to use them and the zeds caught up with and just ripped him to bits.

Some utter fucking sociopath had shot him in the legs just for the pleasure of watching him get ripped to bits :)

I melted into the woods onto the next town.

It also gets bonus points because you can literally navigate via the stars.

Quote:
Day Z is bloody impressive. It’s only in alpha right now, but it’s one of the most atmospheric survival experiences out there. A roguelike semi-MMO zombie survival sim, like a 3D version of Project Zomboid.

The thing is that each server can only support 50 players. That’s 50 humans at any given time spread across an entire country, as the main Arma 2 map is beyond enormous. You can go for hours without ever seeing another living player.

The other night I joined a server where it was already nighttime. I’d spawned nowhere near a beach, or a road, or any sign of civilization, so I picked a direction and began trudging through the forest. I got lost. Very lost. I ended up panicking and climbing a small hill, throwing my few flares all around in order to try and attract maybe a helping hand.

Well, someone came along. Someone also lost – we teamed up together and started marching off. And then the rain hit. Heaviest rain I’ve ever seen in a game, almost blinding. The fog that was rolling in reduced visibility further. I stopped for a moment to take a drink, and when I looked back up, I couldn’t see my buddy. The weather was just too oppressive.

It took me almost an hour before I found any sign of life. A barn! A barn surrounded by corpses. And a few of the walking kind. I ran in there and quickly scavenged up some supplies, but a couple Z’s started climbing up to the upper level with me, so I shot them. Which alerted more. I’ve now got some supplies, but limited ammo and a mess of angry zombies after me, so I bolt out of the barn and run down the road. I eventually come to a church, where I seek cover and more gear, but I have to fight my way out again.

More zombies. Too many. I take a bad wound and start bleeding out. I clear out the enemies, and bandage myself up. More zombies. I take them out, too. I… realize I have no bandages, my vision is blurring, and I’m going to keel over soon. And then it starts raining again, hard as ever.

I throw my last flare down. Hopefully whoever finds my corpse will do better.

- Coach

Fri May 11, 2012 5:32 am
Minor Diety

I suppose the "every-man-for-himself" element could be relieved by friends doing co-op... but then again, the words "Rinox", "Coop", "Survival" don't go well in the same sentence, much like "Derf", "Autoshottie", "Zombie-Rush".

Fri May 11, 2012 6:47 am
Minor Diety

Haha, yeah I've thought about us playing this together. I would help you out and be all team-playish, but seriously if you get crowded by a bunch of zombies and it looks like I'm gonna get it too, I'll be out of there. :P Maybe come back to loot your corpse a little later.

Then again, I'lm pretty sure you'd be capable of just shooting me in the back if I had some great loot that would allow you to survive much longer. So I don't feel to guilty. :roll:

i'm actually not sure if you can log in together - I think you still may need to find each other after maybe spawning half a map away. And finding your way in unknown territory without a map is gonna be a bitch. I'm sure we'd manage tho. I'm a pretty decent navigator.

- Coach

Fri May 11, 2012 7:04 am
Minor Diety

When i read 'Some utter fucking sociopath had shot him in the legs just for the pleasure of watching him get ripped to bits' i was under the impression Ox was already playing. :P

Sounds very interesting and atmospheric indeed, add it to the (bucket) list.

~King of Thieves~

Fri May 11, 2012 10:59 am
Minor Diety

Rinox wrote:
Then again, I'lm pretty sure you'd be capable of just shooting me in the back if I had some great loot that would allow you to survive much longer. So I don't feel to guilty. :roll:

lol, actually no dude. I HAVE integrity and honour (basic coop sense). If you find and M4 with scope and all I have is a shitty pistol, there is still more chance in us finding that "hidden weapon storage bunker" compared to me trying on my own.

Sat May 12, 2012 4:28 am
Minor Diety

I meant it more in the sense of real-world survival than co-op. ;) Especially when it's me & my 'ethics' you're out and about with.

- Coach

Sat May 12, 2012 4:51 am
Minor Diety

lol ok, thats more like it... But i question the point at which youd fine me 'unsavable'. E.g. If i thought there would be 25% chance of saving u from a zombie rush, id probably try it.... But i suppose for you to do the same it would have to be in the high 90's..

Sat May 12, 2012 12:55 pm
Minor Diety

Back-up plan: if saving/running with Derf fails, shoot him in the leg so that the zombies take him instead of you .. no?

~King of Thieves~

Sat May 12, 2012 1:35 pm
Minor Diety

I see there is some kind of Belgian theme running here.

Sun May 13, 2012 3:15 am
Minor Diety

J wrote:
Back-up plan: if saving/running with Derf fails, shoot him in the leg so that the zombies take him instead of you .. no?

Why wait until he's about to die? Haha!

I seriously had a dream about this game without actually even playing it. I dreamt I was out with a friend (not you Derf, surprisingly) surviving and sneaked into a church to loot something when I heard something in the other room, went back to the wall and shot the poor scavenger in the back without questions. I felt really bad about it in my dream, and afterwards. :P

I've been reading too many of the stories clearly. :/

They did a part 2 on RPS btw, really interesting.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/05 ... -part-two/

- Coach

Tue May 15, 2012 10:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]