It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Tactical XCOM in the works. 
Minor Diety

Post Re: Tactical XCOM in the works.
Enjoy :)

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/08 ... om-remake/

(skip to 5 mins in, vid starts then...kinda weird)

- Coach

Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:40 am
Minor Diety

More RPS interviewing of the lead designer of the new X-com strategy game. It's good stuff.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/09 ... preview-3/
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/09 ... -chatdown/

Also commented gameplay video

Oh I am totally gonna name my squad members after CK people. :P Then send rookie Satis in to suicide stun a nasty enemy. If he survives, he gets a promotion. :P

- Coach

Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:00 am
Felix Rex

Damn. I presume everyone has noticed the preorder on steam and the various bonus tiers depending on how many people preorder.

Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:20 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Oh yes...I got it preordered through O'Cram (he owed me) and Peltz just preorder his copy. :) And today's hands-on article on RPS has only reinforced my feeling that it will be goooood. 8-) Well worth the read.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/09 ... with-xcom/

Quote:
There’s so much more to say. I want to share everything that’s happened, want to talk at length about how critically wounded soldiers can be accidentally killed by a grenade even as a medic is closing in, about the special council missions that offer great rewards at great risk. We’re talking disarming bombs in a power station or rescuing a UN official, pinned down and under fire on a huge concrete bridge that looks like Godzilla just stomped on it.

I’ll finish by saying that my biggest concern has completely evaporated. I wasn’t sure how different the game would feel on each playthrough, whether it would be as replayable as the original. I’ll need to answer that when I’ve got the full game and spent almost two decades with it, but I’ve started from scratch at least ten times in the last week, and it’s felt like a different experience every time.

When I wrote about Crusader Kings II back near the beginning of the year, I said this: “If it doesn’t wind up being among my very favourite games of the year, spectacular things will occur in the next ten months.” Well, CK II will still be up there, but XCOM really is something spectacular. With all the burden of expectation and doubt, it manages to be both a hugely respectful reimagining and, all ties ignored, one of the best turn-based tactical games I’ve played in, well, forever.

- Coach

Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:44 pm
Felix Rex

Either rps has sold out, or this game is going to be amazing.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:03 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Either rps has sold out, or this game is going to be amazing.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:03 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

While I of course do not discard the former option, it does seem like they are genuinely excited...posted a 'discussion' today.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/09 ... versation/

Quote:
Jim: I think I had no real expectations from XCOM, because I felt sure – unfairly – that the time of me being gripped by turn-based tactics was gone. The last time I can really remember it was with Laser Squad Nemesis, which was by the gollops themselves. But this has really knocked me over. I can’t stop playing it.

Adam: I’d already played a little before this preview code came along, but had really only seen the tutorial. I was worried the whole game might be quite directed, no real freedom of choice. And the way that the cutscenes and dialogue build up a narrative does suggest that, but it’s not the case at all. As my words yesterday probably gave away, I’m in the same state as you. I really can’t stop playing. I’m one of those people who installs X-COM on a computer before just about anything else, so I instinctively want to tell everyone who liked the original – ‘hey, be happy, it’s OK, this is a very good thing.’ Of course, it won’t please everyone but I really can’t think of a better turn-based tactical game of recent times. And the strategic side is no slouch either.

Quote:
[...]Adam: I thought the same at first – there seems too much of a gap, but I’m much better at the game than I was four days ago. Classic isn’t just punishing, there are ways to succeed…at least most of the time. Longish story here – I had a mission recently where I hadn’t seen any aliens for about ten turns, which was making me clench my brain in a sort of nervous anxiety. Then I heard noises inside a grocery store. I sent a sniper up a drainpipe and onto the roof opposite, an assault guy with a grenade to the back door and two support troops went through the front door. There were six sectoids inside and they were all dead before they could take a shot. Three down when we entered, then they ran for cover and we finished them off. That is a hell of a good feeling. I love my sniper. And I am done talking about how good I am.

Jim: I am not very good.

Adam: Tell a story about not being very good. They are always good stories.

Jim: I don’t think any of them are very interesting, they all involve me doing completely idiotic things like sending my sniper to take cover behind an burning (and about to explode) car. I’ve done a lot of that sort of thing. I should mention, actually, how much I have enjoyed the general destructibility of everything. Knocking a wall down to make your way inside a structure has a certain robust satisfaction to it.

Adam: The sound design is strong in that aspect as well – when a building is burning it will creak and make shuddering sounds. Have you met mutons?

Jim: Yes, I just encountered them.

Adam: They quite regularly level entire buildings just to get at one half dead XCOM member who is limping back to the Skyranger.

Quote:
Jim: They certainly killed me up. You know, combat aside, actually, the thing that made me coo most sincerely was the base screen. I am a sucker for cut-aways and cross sections of things, ever since I was a small child, so that base screen… Well, it did psychic things to me, ensuring my adoration for all time.

Adam: I used to draw shit like that in my maths books at school, anything with graph paper in that I could get a sense of scale with.

Jim: I got my love of architect from a children’s book in which a mouse created modernist homes for other animals, all illustrated in a cross-section cut-away style.

Adam: This sounds like the greatest book.

Jim: It’s a lost classic. But yeah: in XCOM that base screen is just a marvel.

And so on :P

- Coach

Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:02 pm
Minor Diety

So, I saw Satis preordered too now. :) Welcome to the club haha. At this rate we're very likely to hit the tier 3 reward and get ourselves a free copy of Civ V. 8-)

- Coach

Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:36 pm
Felix Rex

yea, that'd be cool, though I think Peltz is of a differing opinion on the likelihood of that. :roll: It's at 44% now. I have 8 more days of time off left that I need to take by the end of the year... I may drop a couple days during the release of this, so Shiny doesn't feel so ignored.

Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:56 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

That's the first time I ever heard you say you had too much (relatively speaking) time off. ;) It's a good thing you aren't working in commie Europe!

But sounds like a great plan. I'd do the same, if it weren't for the fact that a) I don't have my PC here and b) I've only been working this job for 2 months, so taking a week off to play a videogame on release seems unwise. :roll:

And Peltz, there's almost two weeks left and the preorder rates have been steadily rising. I don't see why we won't hit tier 3...unless you believe that Firaxis will rig it so that they won't have to flood the market with shitloads of Civ V copies haha. ;)

- Coach

Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:35 pm
Minor Diety

Demo online now on Steam! A major release focusing on PC and releasing a demo? I think the sky just fell on my head!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/200510

It's oversaturated atm (at least from where I'm trying to download) so may take a while to get it to work...

- Coach

Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:36 am
Felix Rex

downloading the demo now. I'm going at full speed, so whatever saturation there may have been appears to be gone now. I'll probably play it after work (after I go running).

Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:39 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Okay, so I played the demo. Let me warn you... very very limited.

1. You start off with a tactical mission. This is on rails. You must choose exactly what the computer tells you to. It's meant as a training mission, basically. but it doesn't give you any freedom at all.
2. You then go to base. Like #1, you're told to click on stuff and can't go off the scripted path. A good overview, but again. no freedom at all.
3. Another tactical mission... you get to choose one of two options. Once on the ground, it forces you to make a couple moves ( more instructional stuff ) and then you're free to do what you want. :D Finally! And it's fun. I'm looking forward to this. :D

A few things I noticed from the demo.

Your squads are 4 people large, but with training you can expand it to 6.
I don't know if you can have multiple squads at a single tactical mission. I sure hope so.
Looks like your soldiers are set up to be very personal. You level then, equip them, etc. There was also an option to show a roster of the people that have died. :p Grayed out in the demo of course. :(
Still lots of questions as to how everything else works.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:07 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/ns2k ... alkthrough

Some good laughs in this one.

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:25 am
Minor Diety

That looks pretty awesome. I didn't bother download the demo for obvious crappy laptop reasons, but this looks really good.

RPS actually posted about what the demo showed and didn't show about the game because some people were disappointed by the demo's contents.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/09 ... xcom-demo/

- Coach

Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next