It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Tactical XCOM in the works. 
Stranger

Post Re: Tactical XCOM in the works.
I didnt download the demo because i plan to feast on the full product for a few days in a row :D.

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:45 pm
Stranger

Its at 90% for the third milestone. So close now.

Be well or Get Help!!

Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:38 am
Minor Diety

Yay for free Civ V :D And tf2 hats of course. Moar hats, MOAR!! :roll:

So, naturally I will be naming squad members after you bitches. :P I'm just not sure who will fill what role, but I have some ideas:

- Myself: heavy weapons
- Satis: sniper
- Peltz: general assault
- Shiny: medic/support
- O'Cram: psionics
- Derf: Recon

Not sure about Pev and J but I'm sure there'll be vacancies in the team soon enough due to...unforeseen circumstances. :P

Will be interesting to see who bites the virtual dust and who, if anyone, survives the game! And don't worry I'm not gonna play favorites with Rinox. Well, maybe if it's a straight up 'you or me' situation. Like all those many times in L4D hahaha. :D

- Coach

Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:51 pm
Felix Rex

Haha, good idea. I'll look to name my squad members as well.

Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:24 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I hope we get to customize soldier's appearances too. Would be cool to see Satis with an American flag on his suit etc. Not sure about the realism of Belgian and Estonian soldiers joining the fight though. :roll:

- Coach

Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:50 am
Felix Rex

No reason not to... X-com is a global unit... you get soldiers from all countries. My base will have all the elite Belgian units assigned to the kitchen for waffles and chocolate processing. The Estonians will be sent to fish and make fish sandwiches (because I have no clue about Estonian cuisine except for that fish sandwich thing Peltz posted a long, long time ago).

Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:36 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

hell yeah. I'm a green waffle beret.

- Coach

Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:39 am
Minor Diety

RPS posted a giant review of Xcom

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10 ... /#comments

Basically, they think it's an incredible game with a distinct Xcom vibe, but not without slight niggles. Most importantly the lack of "free aim", making it hard to *purposefully* destroy things like cover etc. Still, it's fully expected that this will be modded out/changed in the near future. :)

Also, they recommend playing on normal for a while to learn the ropes of the new system, but then to switch to classic and optionally ironman game mode (no saves during missions) to get the real thrill of the game. Y'know, losing veterans and potentially the entire game. :roll: Anyway, check the full review for more detailed info and thoughts of someone who actually played the game. :P

I think it's out in Americaland now?

- Coach

Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:56 pm
Minor Diety

lol Ox, get me in that team. When it comes to guns I like shotguns ;)

Anyway was gonna ask you guys to let me know if this goes cheap on Steam plus your general views on it. Niall is interested but he wants to wait a while (plus he might get it on PS3) but I did say you've all been drooling over it for a while so keep this thread updated and I'll check in on it.

Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:14 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Haha sure you can be in the squad Pev. Even if I don't have room in the initial squad, I'm sure someone will make space before too long. :roll:

I asked a friend who's playing it and this was his response:

Quote:
Well, it's highly overrated--the AI is terrible. My first time through on Iron Man (single save) and Impossible difficulty, I never even lost a single soldier and won easily. Bummer.

Okay, in truth, it's been kicking my ass right, left, and center. I played on Classic Iron Man about 6 times and it was just hopeless, so I switched to Normal Iron Man and lasted about 120 days--lost my entire squad about 3 times. It's too hard! Waaaaah!
It's so fucking awesome--game of the year, no question!
Everything in it is so well done. I could bring up minor quibbles, but really, that would be just looking for something to complain about. It totally lives up to its legacy and its hype. Be sure not to bother making plans when it unlocks for you--you will just end up canceling them anyway for a few days. Then you will emerge ashen, blinking weakly in the sunlight, and wonder why you keep thinking you're seeing scurrying things behind every car and building.

Sounds decent. haha!

- Coach

Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:07 am
Felix Rex

So... i've been playing it. Duh. Totally blew off Star Wars. And exercise. And food. Wanted to blow off work but resisted. It's a great game. I'm going to attempt to narrate my progress a bit so far.

Attachment:
Xcom-first squad.png

My first squad consisted of Rinox (the only survivor of the first tutorial mission), Derf, Pevil and myself.

Attachment:
Xcom-first completion.png

The mission was a success. Derf took some fire, but it's ok, he's a tough guy.

Attachment:
xcom-Shiny joins.png

While Derf is recovering from his plasma burns, Shiny joins the team. Welcome Shiny! Rinox's aggressive tactics with the heavy machinegun don't go unnoticed. With 6 kills, he gets promoted.

Attachment:
xcom-Ox.aka.tectonic.png

After another successful mission, Ox earns his nickname. Welcome, Tectonic! Satis, unfortunately, takes some plasma burns and will be out of commission for a little while.

Attachment:
combo.and.Wednesday.png

Pevil and Shiny come into their own. Pevil becomes the aggressive forward assault troop, while Shiny becomes more of a scout and harasser. Pevil's nickname becomes Wednesday, named after the label on her underwear. Unfortunately, it was Saturday. :? Shiny's nickname: Combo. Because she likes to eat them.

Attachment:
emo...wtf.png

Derf returns to the squad. Satis gets a nickname. Emo? Wtf!? (nicknames are automatically assigned by the game)

Attachment:
Peltz-joins.png

Peltz joins our squad and quickly makes a name for himself. Echo. Echo. Echo. He also makes fish sandwiches.

Attachment:
Darf.aka.slim.png

During a rather hairy raid on a downed UFO, Pevil finds herself in a cloud of poisonous gas. Shiny takes some plasma fire. They both survive, but take some time to recover. Derf earns himself the nickname 'Slim' due to losing 20 lbs on his McDonald's diet.

Attachment:
first-dead.adios.Derf.png

While trying to rescue a VIP from an alien attack, Derf takes a plasma blast to the face and is forcibly retired. Sorry Derf! Ganz joins our group to fill in some vacancies.

Attachment:
Ganz-joins-to-make-6.png

I expand our squad to 6. Welcome Ganz. I'm sure you'll make an excellent addition.

Attachment:
second-kia-by-Ganz.png

Ganz climbed up a ladder to the third floor of a building to provide sniper fire. Unfortunately, there was a thin man there that shot him in the side of the head and knocked him off the roof. By Ganz, we hardly knew you. Ox and Pevil both take fire. Shiny rather aggressively stuns several aliens for interrogation.

Attachment:
Derf dies again. Oops..png

Ganz and Derf rejoin us during a mission to a cemetary. Unfortunately, apparently the aliens were having a big meeting right in front ouf our Skyranger. Derf takes the brunt of it and is burnt to a crisp. Sorry Derf!

Attachment:
Lacessit joins.png

Lacessit joins our ranks to replace Derf. Welcome Lacessit! Don't worry about the burn marks on that armor. I'm sure you'll do fine.

Attachment:
Lacessit torn apart by chrysalid then zombified.png

During our first raid on a large UFO, I moved Lacessit to the roof of the UFO to provide covering fire. Unfortunately, a Chrysalid went up there to say hi. After missing a sniper shot, the Chrysalid ran over and thrashed him. amazingly, he survived the initial attack. With a very low hit chance on his sniper rifle at that range, I switched him to pistol. He unloaded half a clip into the Chrysalid's face, to no avail. The next turn, it tore him to pieces, then deposited a baby Chrysalid into his body. The next round, it hatched. Thankfully, the rest of the squad was able to take care of Lacessit's love child.

That's my progress in a nut shell. There's obviously much more I left unsaid, like how I lost one interceptor and almost a second shooting down that large UFO. Anyway... the game is great.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:38 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Great read!

Next time you send someone up for sniping/covering fire purpose pick Satis, you might be more carefull with him. :wink:

~King of Thieves~

Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:17 am
Minor Diety

Loved the write-up! It sure sounds like Xcom...what with people dying haha. I love that I'm still alive, but shouldn't you maybe have a rookie go backup for heavy in case I bite the dust? I could be wrong but there doesn't seem to be an immediate replacement for me.

How's my will stat? I'm just worried I may go nutso once psionics are introduced. D-:

Keep the pics and story coming...I feel sorry for Derf dying twice though. But joining up as a rookie in a full-fledged team will always be a near-suicide mission. :(

What difficulty are you on btw? And ironman mode or not?

Oh and lol @ emo. Pevil and Peltz have the best nicknames though. :P

- Coach

Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:50 am
Minor Diety

Haha I love the write up, keep it coming! The nicknames make me think of the end of a Worms match, when you'd get the stats like "Best shot" or "Most suicidal". Just call me Wednesday from now on!

Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:44 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

haha, thanks guys. I'm glad it's entertaining.

So, played some more today (though not a ton). Had a major mission
to conquer an alien base
, and it was a bad time for the xcom folk. :? Six people went in, 3 people came out.

So, first, excuse the fact I have both J and Ganz. Yea... they're the same person. But not in Xcom. Oh no. they're different.
Attachment:
XComGame 2012-10-10 12-06-06-28.png

At any rate, we had Pevil, Ganz, Shiny, Satis, Ox and J.

Attachment:
XComGame 2012-10-10 12-07-27-11.png

Initial entry went smoothly. We fanned out, sniper taking the high ground, assault taking lead spots. I broke the team into 2 groups... Shiny and Satis along one side, the other 4 the other way. The 4 breach a door and run into a bunch of aliens. After trading fire, I decide to breach a second door to flank the first group of aliens.

Attachment:
XComGame 2012-10-10 12-13-43-75.png

Unfortunately, more aliens awaited us through the second door. Shiny took close partial cover and used her assault rifle to put the enemy under fire, while Satis moved up to put them down from the doorway. After several rounds of gunfire (and the other group putting a dent into their adversaries), I decide Shiny needs some additional cover. She pops a smoke grenade as I plan to wipe out the rest of the group on that side.

Unfortunately, Shiny's luck runs out. She takes a plasma blast to the face and goes down. Satis and the other group push through and wipe out the two alien groups, but we're now short a soldier.

We continue to breach deeper into the . We make it into an area, jumping cover as we go. Several aliens are blasted in succession, standing no chance against our superior tactics and experience. Unfortunately, things go from great to bad very quickly. I move Ox into a forward position so he can bring his machinegun to bear, but a triplet of Chyrsalids pop up and charge.

The first Chrysalid is down by Satis, but the remaining two are fast and close distance. Though Ox is able to fire on one, it's insufficient to put it down. Things are looking dire for our waffle-eating friend.
Attachment:
XComGame 2012-10-10 12-37-14-26.png

The only person close enough to offer support is nooby-J. Unfortunately, he forgot to reload. He pulls out his pistol and manages to put some pain into one of the Chrysalids. Ox takes some hits, but is able to vanquish the first with J's valiant assistance.

Attachment:
XComGame 2012-10-10 12-39-01-50.png

Unfortunately, it's not enough. The second Chrysalid runs in an puts a quick end to J's very short career as an X-Com soldier.

Attachment:
XComGame 2012-10-10 12-39-04-89.png

Ox blasts the Chrysalid, avenging J. Unfortuantely for Ox, J was already impregnated. J's corpse then puts an end to Ox, who joins him in death.

Attachment:
XComGame 2012-10-10 12-39-52-81.png

Pevil then runs in and blasts zombie J with her shotgun.

The remainder of the mission is tense, with only half the squad to fight and Pevil seriously injured from numerous plasma hits. However, though we were unable to capture
the enemy base commander
alive, we managed to complete the mission successfully.
Attachment:
XComGame 2012-10-10 17-19-27-12.png

In the end, we had 3 die, 1 wounded, and Satis was promoted to Colonel (the highest rank). It was a hard-fought victory, but ultimately worth the price.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:21 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next