Minor Diety

Post Derf's semi-fetish game has a demo
http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/avadon/index.html

It actually looks better than I expected from the screens :P

- Coach

Wed May 04, 2011 7:26 am
Stranger

Post Re: Derf's semi-fetish game has a demo
I remember playing their Exile 3 game, it was awesome. However I've been unable to connect to either geneforge or avernum series.

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed May 04, 2011 11:18 am
Minor Diety

Yeah, i'm pretty sure we've covered this in another thread, I even remember Peltz stating his ambivalence about the game. I think I once gave the demo a whirl but found it too fiddly.

I'll give it another shot.

Wed May 04, 2011 12:29 pm
Minor Diety

No no this is another game. I think you're talking about Eschalon Derf, cause I remember that discussion too. This is a new game.

I didn't know Peltz was such an avid indie RPG gamer. :) Cool.

- Coach

Wed May 04, 2011 2:36 pm
Felix Rex

Zomg, those graphics would make my computer die laughing.

Wed May 04, 2011 4:30 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Played the demo but got bored. Too slow. I think my attention span is diminishing or i'm getting bored of games.

Or both.

:jade:

Thu May 05, 2011 11:15 am
Minor Diety

derf wrote:
Played the demo but got bored. Too slow. I think my attention span is diminishing or i'm getting bored of games.

Or both.

:jade:

I played this last night for about 5 minutes and decided there was too much reading. Later, upon the ivory thinking throne (toilet) I really got pondering on exactly that, 5 years ago I would have sat and read every drop of text on the screen and tried my best to take in what was going on.

I mean, there's a lot of reading in baldurs gate, one of my favourite games, and if I play it now I really can't be bothered reading through it. My attention span has definitely shrunk over time - which kind of sucks!

Rock Band [35%]
http://www.cafepress.com/SmeepProducts

Thu May 05, 2011 1:38 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Y'know, I'm not sure if it's attention span. I think it's because it's the same shit. With Baldur's Gate, it was new. There was a really well thought out story. Having to read a bunch didn't matter because it was worth it and nothing else like it had come before. Now... it's not unusual to have assloads of text, and most of the time, it sucks. The few games that actually have stories and text on par with Baldur's Gate are few and far between and the signal is lost in the noise. We've been conditioned to just click through dialogues because it's not worth the time.

There's also the fact that reading text is no longer the best way to do it. Spoken dialog is so much better, when done right.

Thu May 05, 2011 4:59 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Problem is that indie games can't possible fill a game with that amount of voice acting, of course. :( Even for AAA games like ME it takes up a lot of the budget and time and effort.

- Coach

Thu May 05, 2011 5:57 pm
Minor Diety

That's very true to be fair. Even in games I'm really enjoying, I usually skip past anything that I look at and think "ugh, that's way too long." on the other hand I can sit and read an entire game review - because I know it's giving me information I need. A good game will repeat the information if I missed it, so I can either catch up after months of not playing it, or play it casually if I want.

I guess our brains expect the information we need to be given to us on a platter in games, so I blame the games too :P

Rock Band [35%]
http://www.cafepress.com/SmeepProducts

Mon May 09, 2011 4:15 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]