It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 5:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Duty Calls - free game 
Felix Rex

Post Duty Calls - free game
This is a free game that mocks the modern realistic pc shooter. Check out the trailer.

Downloading it now. You can get it here: http://www.thedutycalls.com/download.html

Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:07 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Post Re: Duty Calls - free game
Ok, I played it. BTW, this is actually an ad for the game "bulletstorm". It's pretty freaking funny though. It you don't have bandwidth caps :roll: it's worth grabbing just to get a good lol.

Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:18 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

lol @ bashing CoD :D But I'm not sure I'll plahy Bulletstorm...it kind of looks like it's trying a little too hard, but I'll put off judging it until I see some reviews. :P

- Coach

Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:54 pm
Felix Rex

It looks like it's all tongue-in-cheek. I dunno, I'll have to see if it's fun. I hope there's a demo... there should be, I think there's one on Xbox.

Just checked... there are demos for Xbox and PS3. Game's out 2/22, so hopefully they'll have a PC demo shortly.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:00 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Yep!

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/02 ... after-all/

- Coach

Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:08 am
Felix Rex

cool. Definitely be trying that out.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:12 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I'm actually getting Bulletstorm (for my birthday, yay for free game ;)). Unlike me to grab a shooter but the demo is just downright fun! I figure the campaign will still be the regular play it once, never really bother again like all shooters once I'm used to the skill shots but it's the multiplayer co-op that's gonna kick ass.

Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:00 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

There's an article up on Ars Technica about Bulletstorm. To quote a line:
Quote:
Even though the game requires Games for Windows Live, it feels and acts like a console game by default. Let's fix that.

You can probably figure out what the rest of the article is about. :P
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011 ... our-pc.ars

It's not negative about the game, actually, just tells you how to fix some of the silly design mistakes.

Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:39 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I agree with their conclusion - why can't they even bother with such silly and easy adjustments for PC? Clearly, like almost all of CliffyB's games, this game was developed exclusively on the Xbox and then ported to PC as an afterthought. Makes you wonder if anyone at these companies even play on a PC at all anymore.

- Coach

Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:43 am
Felix Rex

Certainly the people making the decisions don't. Bah. The tweaks discussed above take a few minutes. Sticking them into a menu probably would've taken a few hours, at most. Making the menu mouse-driven would've probably taken no more than a few hours. Add donuts and QA time and you're looking at probably a week of extra dev/QA time to make the game more PC friendly. Really? Were they that hard up on the deadline they couldn't do it? Bah. I prefer the old Rockstar's approach of postponing the PC version for 6 months while they tweak their game. Of course, modern Rockstar sucks my balls. :roll:

Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:16 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

What surprises me the most is that making a technical port (which takes longer than what we're asking for) apparently IS worth their time and money, but then optimising it for almost no cost (business process-wise) seems too much to care for.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but it's money grabbing 101. Make the game playable on PC, so that it sells, and fuck it beyond that. I for one will not buy a game that shits in the PC's face like that.

- Coach

Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:07 pm
Felix Rex

Depends if the game is fun. :) I don't know why that extra little dev time didn't happen. It just makes no sense to me.

Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:40 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Myeah, but how can a game that is by any standard a blatant console shooter be fun on PC anyway? There are a lot of direct console ports that are fun on PC, but they're rarely shooters.

- Coach

Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:59 am
Minor Diety

That's why I got it on xbox. It is huge fun! It won't last overly long (campaign is 6-10 hours, standard kind of thing) but it's like Duke Nukem, in the sense of it just tries to let you have fun ripping things apart, instead of be all dramatic about whatever crap is going on. The multiplayer stuff should be fun too (only tried Echoes so far, a high-score situation, but Anarchy looks awesome - team killing to get skill shots). It's just a sit down, relax and take out stress on the bad guys by embarassing them kinda game.

There are a few glitches though. I played for maybe 3 hours yesterday. In that time I nearly got stuck on a ramp (managed to slide free), found a few bodies that died in mid air and just froze there, then got stuck on a bridge handrail (don't even know how I got up there) and upon choosing 'restart checkpoint' to escape, found it had checkpointed with me stuck there so I had to restart the chapter. When it's not glitching however it works beautifully.

Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:26 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Wow:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011 ... -users.ars

Quote:
Bulletstorm is getting great reviews on the consoles, but how does the PC version run? We gave it a download on Steam to check things out, and things are... weird. The game has a number of issues on our favorite platform, but it remains a fun—and violent—way to spend an afternoon.

The first thing I tend to do when playing first-person shooters is to adjust the field of view for my widescreen monitor, but when I tried this on Bulletstorm I noticed that instead of the standard text you'd expect in the configuration files, there are large blocks of... gibberish.
The .ini files are very weakly encrypted—you can already find tools to get to the text itself—and the whole thing was more of a pain in the butt than an impediment to playing the way I wanted to. Once I could edit the files, I found that the framerate was locked to a maximum of 62fps. Apparently those of you with higher end machines don't need to actually use them, right?

The game likewise doesn't give you many options in adjusting the graphics from within the game, but the obfuscated .ini file will give you plenty to work with if you're willing to tinker. Don't worry about learning console commands, since there is no console. Wonderful.

The game requires the use of Games for Windows Live, even if purchased through Steam, which is a pain in the butt. No more needs to be said. Aim assist is turned on by default, so if you don't want training wheels, you'll want to remove that right away. The menus are all navigated with key presses, not your mouse, which is another area of annoyance. The framerate can be a problem, but again, feel free to dig around in the settings to find options that work for you. The various unofficial forums online have great advice for different video card set-ups. Don't look for critical thoughts on the PC version on the official site, however, as those are getting locked.

All this being said, once you get access to the .ini files to edit your graphical settings and get the game running well, it looks and feels great on the PC. EA and Epic tried to keep us from having access to the game's higher level settings, and that's annoying, but it's also easy to get around.

That's fucked up on so many levels.

- Coach

Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next