It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Amnesia: The Dark Descent 
Minor Diety

Post Amnesia: The Dark Descent
I can't believe I haven't talked about the game on here yet (I have on steam). I played and finished it before I left on holiday, and loved it to bits. It's short, but very good and ridiculously good at evoking a psychological horror. You can't fight the things that are behind you and have to be sparse with light and candles as you're running on oil/using tinder...the more time you spend in the dark, the quicker your sanity will drop. This is clearly only worsened by certain events and the proximity of monsters.

At one time, I was looking in a dungeon for something when I see the Beast/Shadow/God Knows at the end of the hallway, howling. I turn around into one of the cells and throw closed the door behind me, then huddle up in a dark corner of the cell. I don't hear anything for a few moments, then it starts bashing down the door. My (in-game) breathing picks up and my sanity goes on vacation...I know it's gonna peer into the room any second but that gazing upon it will only increase my panic/insanity, so I stay in my corner but against all intuition I face TOWARDS the corner. The door comes crashing down and I hear it in the door opening for seconds that seemed to last for minutes. All the while I'm sitting at home with my hands before my face, looking in between my fingers whether it'll get me or not. Then it walks away and I (in-game) catch my breath.

Moments like that are just sheer brilliance. :) I actually played in short sessions of an hour, hour and a half because the constant idea of there being something there wears you out. The story is good too, balancing somewhere between a classic historic horror story and Lovecraftian. Graphics extremely efficient for the genre, with an intuitive handling system (mouse-operated) that it borrowed from the Penumbra series.

If you like horror games, a must-buy.

- Coach

Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:14 pm
Minor Diety

Post Re: Amnesia: The Dark Descent
I played the demo of this, it was I think 2 levels long and it was the best 30 minutes of horror gaming I've experienced for a long time.

Looks like I might make my first steam purchase soon :)

Rock Band [35%]
http://www.cafepress.com/SmeepProducts

Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:38 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

It gets a glowing recommendation from me, it's an amazing game. The psychological horror eating away at you works great. Played it in 'short' bursts of 1-1.5 hour at a time to cope (and to not get numb to the horror, to an extent) at night. With the lights off and headphones. :D

Amnesia was one of my favorite games in years, probably. DO IT. ;)

- Coach

Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:53 am
Minor Diety

Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:57 am
Minor Diety

Haha, I love that entire scene with the waitress. 'Do it. Do it.'

- Coach

Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:06 am
Minor Diety

The makers of Amnesia have released a free DLC of about an hour. It's called 'Justine' and it's slightly related to the original game, although it's really a seperate story. I really, really enjoyed it and got a few massive scares out of it again. :) Another cheap indie game releasing more - good - content for free. If this were an EA game, it'd have cost at least 5 €. :/

To give you an idea of what it's like

- Coach

Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:25 am
Felix Rex

couldn't deal with the idiot talking

Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:08 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Here it is sans idiot voice over

- Coach

Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:12 pm
Minor Diety

Well, I started playing this game the other day.

Holy. Shit.

I'm probably about 3 hours in (Maybe 2 hours if I'd been quicker at solving the puzzles.) I've only just gotten to the part where you get the elevator back on-line. Damn, this game is ace. There are some proper heart in hand moments where you're really drawn in to the characters emotional state. Losing your footing whilst trying to run with whats left of your sanity, or hiding in a corner waiting for the evil to go away - then poking your head around dreading what you might see.

So far, so good!

Rock Band [35%]

Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:41 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

haha, awesome, finally someone else who actually has the balls to play the game :D (yeah ok, I know you just didn't like it Derf :P )

Where you at now Mole?

Amnesia scared the fuck out of me a few times. The great thing is that it doesn't really throw any opening wallpanels with imps behind them at you (Doom 3 lame jump scares), but plays on your nerves with sound, visual effects and music. Some of the chases are. OMGWTFBBQNOOOO scary.

For Mole

The 'water monster' wasn't too bad either eh? ;)

Don't forget to play the free DLC 'Justine' when you're done. It's really good too.

- Coach

Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:55 am
Minor Diety

I haven't had chance to play it since last time; but I will be tomorrow!

Yeah man, did you ever fail at that section? I was showing it to my brother and his friend - they got to the bit where the wheel needs to be turned in order to raise the door to escape. They kept dying, after the third try I stepping in to save the day, but the monster wasn't there. Sweet I thought, must have glitched. I open the door and head toward the next room - and the damn things bursts through the door in front!!!!

EDIT: Played it some more tonight, just (about) made it through the prison... I've come to the theory that if I'm gonna make it through this game in one piece, I need to man up when exploring. I as in me, Mole, not my character - gotta face the fact that this game is gonna creep me out. Especially at 1am. In the dark. With the volume up.

Rock Band [35%]

Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:25 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

lol @ monster bursting through the door :twisted: I don't think i died in that section, but I do remember the FRANTIC PANIC of turning the wheel to open the door (after throwing body parts into the water to keep it busy) and running over the debris, closing doors behind me and throwing stuff. Nearly shit myself. :o Other great moments are hiding in a dark corner, face to the wall, while I can HEAR the monster standing less than a meter away from me (it based in the door). or hiding in a closet. :) The mechanic of having to hide from the monsters/not being able to look straight at them without going insane is really cool. :)

And playing the game in the dark with the sound up (headphones preferably), alone, is the only way to do it man. :)

- Coach

Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:42 am
Minor Diety

Just got to the bit where there is an electrical field in the way, there are several locked doors about a rather large chamber that looks like one of the ruins in Oblivion. I'm stuck! But so far, this game is epic.

Rock Band [35%]

Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:21 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I know the place you mean, but I can't remember the specifics enough to tell you what to do. Hope you figured it out by now. The maze around that part of the game is fucking scary. Still creeps me out thinking about it.

- Coach

Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:30 am
Minor Diety

I haven't been on it for a while again, but the last thing that scared the crap out of me was...

In the sewers, after you get the 'vacine' for the fungi spores by drilling a whole in the side of a dead persons head, and injecting the blood directly in to yours. Just after the whole section, you come to a big square water-way. I walked around happily, turned a corner and there was some dude just standing there. I was like... oook... and he saw me and started to give chase. He was slow enough that I could out run him, I circled back around and eventually got back to the point where I could not pass because he was in the way.

I turned down there, to see some stairs and a door at the top - and still I was being chased. I ran up the stairs and fumbled at the door, pushing it the wrong way, I heard a noise and decided to check how close 'he' was and BOOM. He was RIGHT in my face. God DAMN did I scream like a bitch. It was that classic supernatural horror film moment, where there is no way he could have caught up yet. So I didn't expect him to be right in my face... christ.

Rock Band [35%]

Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:46 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next