It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Dead Island 
Minor Diety

Post Dead Island

RPS wrote:
It’s been quite a while since a trailer made me say, “Wow.” And indeed since one made me gasp, “Oh my God.” This CGI teaser for Dead Island – a zombie game originally announced in 2007 – is both stunning and horrendous. Bleak like your puppy dying of tiredness is bleak. The game itself sounds absolutely fascinating. An open-ended sandbox zombie survival game, first-person but with an emphasis on melee combat, where you must try to survive for as long as possible on an infested New Guinea island. We have little more to go on, other than the knowledge that Deep Silver are publishing, and that the people behind it are capable of a trailer as brilliantly morose as the one below.

There’s also word of it containing those infamous“RPG elements”, and oddly for a supposedly open-ended sandbox game, a focus on story. The melee is said to let you pick up almost any object you find, Dead Rising-style. And according to IGN who bring us all this info and lots more, because it’s set on a tourist tropical island, the place isn’t littered with high grade weaponry and ammo caches. Instead it’s about foraging and improvising with what you can find.

There’s to be drop-in four-player co-op should you wish to work together, or it works perfectly well in single player mode for lone survivors. And according to IGN, it’s “disgusting”. They’ve got a ton of screenshots and artwork over there.

It’s set for a 2011 release, but nothing more specific than that. Hopefully we’ll be seeing something from inside the game soon enough. As a concept, it sounds fascinating – just hardcore surviving, improvising, scrabbling to keep going. It’s what zombies were made for.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:59 pm
Minor Diety

Post Re: Dead Island
when did this re-surface? I knew about this a loooooong time ago but suddenly it dropped off the radar. I saw all sorts of tech-demos with regards to various levels flesh rendering, (literally layers of flesh) and a "movie-like" trailer that seemed somewhat similar to the end of 28 days later - but then nothing! *checking video now*

That honestly was the best trailer I have seen in a long time. Really, really well presented.

Rock Band [35%]
http://www.cafepress.com/SmeepProducts

Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:47 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

looks pretty cool. No sound since I'm sitting in my c++ class, but man... any video that starts off with a dead kid can't be too bad. :twisted: I'll watch it again when I can enjoy it fully. Good quality animation too, judging from the small screen and low quality I watched on.

Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:07 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

That's an amazing trailer. Someone went to film school. :P Let's hope the game turns out to be as good as the trailer!

Also keeping an eye on zombie survival RPG Dead State

http://www.deadstate.doublebearproductions.com/

but it seems to be really early in production. :(

- Coach

Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:50 pm
Felix Rex

watch the trailer again in 720p and with sound. Man... that's one of the best game trailers of all time.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:08 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I just did that. I think I may send it to my friend who's into zombie movies but not into games (apart from the usualy female stuff like Sims and Tycoon games). Turn her for good!

- Coach

Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:25 pm
Felix Rex

hey, good idea... I think I'll pass it to a friend of mine that does 3d animation (but doesn't game). If nothing else, he'll appreciate the really nice design.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:51 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/ ... eo/6314158

Some footage.

Be well or Get Help!!

Tue May 17, 2011 10:13 am
Felix Rex

meh, that teaser's nowhere near as good as the first one. "They will be stuck forever.... in death!" Ok... where'd they get the melodramatic writer? Did they hire Ox or something? :wink:

Wed May 18, 2011 5:22 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

No no my pitch was turned down, it featured crying children being chewed on by zombies and survivors killing each other for food. They said it was 'too depressing' or something. :roll:

But yeah, this trailer wasn't really very interesting. Game should be out before too soon, let's hope it delivers on some of its promises.

- Coach

Sat May 21, 2011 5:31 am
Minor Diety

Long gameplay vid, it actually looks like a lot of fun. :) Do check.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/05 ... d-footage/

- Coach

Mon May 23, 2011 10:02 am
Minor Diety

Yeah looks fun. And 4 player coop spells possible insta-win, but the massive icons and possible consolification turn me off. Besides, it's not that gritty.

Mon May 23, 2011 11:35 am
Felix Rex

I think some development houses should think about hiring someone to do their walkthrough voice overs...

Mon May 23, 2011 11:46 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Yeah I never got why they let nerdy designers talk about their game - 95% of them are completely incapable of any sort of decent or charismatic presentation. Not using the same 2 words in every sentence ("like", "really") would also help. :roll:

And yeah Derf, I hear ya. We can only wait and see. I think the end result may be a lot more on-rails than it looks now. (do this, then do that, then fight this horde there instead of actually surviving on a free-to-roam island)

- Coach

Mon May 30, 2011 5:52 am
Felix Rex

a preview of Dead Island is up on Ars and it's quite positive.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011 ... player.ars
Quote:
The game changes depending on how you'd like to play. When I was alone in the single player game I enjoyed the more deliberate pace, and I rejected the few missions available during the demo to simply explore the island and play with the many improvised weapons while killing every zombie I saw. There is a heavy emphasis on melee weapons in this game, which means that the zombies get very close to you, and that's a nerve-wracking experience. It takes practice before you can judge the reach of the many weapons, but soon enough you'll be chopping off heads and legs, or taking out the shambling horrors with thrown weapons.

When you play with more people—up to three other players can drop in and out at will—the number of zombies is increased, and the result is a game that leans more toward action than survival horror. Working together with friends to take down the zombies while sharing items and weapons is a very good time, even if I was playing with someone in PR and another writer.

Sounds great, both SP and multi.

Also another vid:

Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:35 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next