It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Batman: Arkham Asylum 
Felix Rex

Post Batman: Arkham Asylum
As mentioned numerous times in other threads, I've picked this game up because it was on sale and am playing it. It's pretty good so far, actually. The hand-to-hand combat is pretty cool... you feel like a real badass twisting back and forth between 6 guys, blocking attacks and knocking people senseless. I've still got a long way to go in the game. I may fraps some combat footage.

Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:25 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Post Re: Batman: Arkham Asylum
blah... fraps actually kills the game when I try to record a video. Oh well. :(

Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:31 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Why is this in RPG? Blasphemer!! :P

I saw my brother play it on his Xbox when it first came out and it looked like a ton of fun, so I can understand you're digging it. I've actually come close to buying it on an earlier sale, but I have so many games that I still need to play that I'm gonna wait until it's ultracheap (like Mirror's Edge during xmas sales). Besides christmas isn't far way (sales times!) and halloween may bring sales tidings too. :)

Are you playing keyboard+mouse or with a gamepad? just wondering.

- Coach

Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:25 am
Felix Rex

I'm playing keyboard+mouse. I ran into a game-killing crash at one point, when I was about to run into Scarecrow (my favorite!), but a reboot fixed it. It's a fun game. It's also opened up a lot from the cramped, corridor-crawling it started out as. that's a good thing.

Something interesting is that the PhysX settings actually has a 'high' setting with a recommended configuration of a gtx260 and a dedicated 8800gt for phsyx processing. I thought that was kinda neat, and I'm kinda tempted to pop my 8800gt back into my computer.

btw...it is kinda RPG... you level up... you can talk to people.. you choose skills. :roll: It's more a first person sneaker with some RPG trappings though. Guess I'll move the topic. Whiner. :roll:

Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:19 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

It's a fantastic game in every aspect! I completed this throroughly on the xbox 360, getting all the achievements.

I reccomend that you do the combat maps as and when you unlock them, they will make playing the game super easy even on hard mode - because in order to get the high score in the challenge maps, you end up having to hit 50-60 hit combo's perfeclty. It becomes very annoying but OH SO rewarding when you finally pull it off.

What an awesome game, very much looking forward to Arkham City.

Rock Band [35%]
http://www.cafepress.com/SmeepProducts

Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:24 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

oh, is a new game coming out? That'd be cool if you could actually run around the city sandbox style. But yea, I'm enjoying the game. I haven't done any of the challenges or anything yet, though.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:36 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

From what I recall, it's going to be more open than Arkham Asylum but not sandbox. I think they still want it to be primarily a story driven game. They're also nerfind the bat-vision (Or detective mode or whatever it was called) because as you'll probably realise by now, you spend most of your time using it. Not sure how, but I think they're gonna do it more like an augmented reality rather than a seperate vision mode.

Which is good news, because the graphics are lovely and fitting and it frees up a controller button.

Damn PC bastard ;)

Rock Band [35%]

Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:45 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

haha. And yea, I use detective mode all the time. I usually switch out of it for combat.. fighting skeletons is a bit much. But if you don't, you miss a ton of hidden crap.

Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:07 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

I beat the game. Pretty good game, really... for all you peeps that haven't played it, keep an eye out for sales and pick it up when you can. It's worth it.

Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:31 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Did you feel the last boss was to easy? I thought it was.

The bit where "you" are strapped in to the securtiy restraint instead of joker shit me up, I thought my Xbox had broken. How about you?

The Challenge maps are worth the stuggle dude, try 'em out :)

Rock Band [35%]

Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:00 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

I agree, the final battle was a bit easy, but whatever. I still enjoyed it.

Yes, I thought my computer had crashed when it broke to Batman going crazy. Then I thought the game had crashed, since the beginning video of the game started playing. then it was Joker driving Batman to Arkham and I realized it was just a really awesome game scene.

I plan on doing the challenges when I feel like it. :roll:

btw, for the non players, here's a pretty decent video of the Batman combat.

it's impressively varied

Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:38 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I absolutely love how freeflowing it is, you can attack anyone from any angle and accross both short and long ranges. It's really well coded and the animation never seems to skip a beat.

Rock Band [35%]

Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:29 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I played and finished Arkham Asylum last week, and I loved it. There were some minor niggles with the fov/camera work (batman takes up like 3/4th of the screen when you're not in combat or running) and the clumsy console movements, but other than that the game is pretty freaking super polished. The combat (like you guys said) is pretty amazing in its fluidity, the voice acting is top notch, they got the batman vibe down to a T and some stuff like the Scarecrow dreams and the "SHIT PC CRASH" moment you mentioned was orginal as fuck. I almost can't believe I waited so long to get and play it, but thanks to Pev I finally got around to it. :)

Other really tiny points of criticism: gimmick boss fights (can't win until you figure out a more or less random strategy, lot of the time), and not the game's fault but still: games for windows live login. Ugghh. :) But overall, the game is a great fit on PC and has been properly ported. Not like, say GTA IV.

Now I'm really really interested in Arkham City!

- Coach

Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:21 pm
Felix Rex

The Arkham City reviews are amazingly positive. It's supposed to be like Arkham Asylum but much bigger and more sandboxy. One of the largest complaints was that there were too many gadgets. :roll: Really? When you have to complain about too much of something, the game must be good.

Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:26 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Arkham City is pretty damn awesome. I've watched a mate complete it; nothing is worse than the original and the combat has only gotten better, plus the storyline is pretty damn good too. Well worth the buy. Only reason I don't have it yet is I haven't completed the original... oops.

Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:14 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next