It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
MoW: Assault Squad 
Minor Diety

Post Re: MoW: Assault Squad
I think it's points-based not individual units.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:15 pm
Felix Rex

I try to keep an ear out for "you have received reinforcements" or whatever. If it's only Ox playing, I can usually toss it his way quickly enough. But yea, I totally wasted a bunch of airborne troops that got assigned to me. :roll:

Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:23 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Hehehe, still managed to get 2-3 heavy AT and 88's down with airborne suicide drops tho. ;) Me and Satis started a game yesterday (the American map with the big bunker on the right flank) and we were doing good until he had to go to a father's day dinner. Totally understandable of course, but a shame since we just got the airstrikes, which would have been the turning point in the game. We had the entire first line locked up tight, with AT guns, Maxsons, AT infantry hiding in buildings and two captured Stugs sniping anything come in sight. We would have demolished the enemy positions with the airstrike and then rolled over them. Everything was just coming together tactically. :) I also didn't even try to mount an assault on the elevation with the bunker, just kept it in check with heavy MG fire and mortars. I remember how many men lost their lives there last time. :roll:

I was looking around the web and found a MoW: AS review that concluded as follows:

Quote:
Pros

- The deepest and most tactical RTS game I’ve ever played, and I’ve played more than my share of the genre.
- Veteran strategy gamers who don’t see Command & Conquer as the be all and end all of the genre will find a real challenge here.
- The realism and attention to detail can really suck you in, and results in a very visceral combat experience.
- The game forces you to step up to each new challenge and overcome it using cunning and wits, rather than the usual formulaic way of playing strategy games of massing a big army first and rushing the enemy.
- Concentrating on infantry tactics, with diminished use of tanks and a complete exclusion of naval and air warfare has resulted in much more focused and precise gameplay.
- The best looking strategy game I’ve played in years.
- Will run on most modern computer systems without any issues, thanks to the solid and stable game engine, the culmination of 3 years of constant refinement.
- Online play doesn’t suffer from a lot of lag issues and works pretty smoothly even on my infamously unreliable connection.

Cons

- The difficulty will scare the crap out of most casual players, or those whose only exposure to the genre has been the endless parade of Command & Conquer clones. Though this is a good thing really, and only a con for those it applies to.
- Very occasionally the friendly AI can be a bit stupid, with your units not doing quite what you wanted and getting killed in the process.
- Random matchmaking online is a scary place, thanks to the exclusionary core of dedicated fans of the series, who will annihilate you without pausing to give new players a second thought.
- It can be a bit awkward when games last half the day between evenly matched opponents if one of them only speaks English and the other only speaks German or Russian.
- DRM on the retail release requires you to connect to the internet to activate.

Summary

I honestly think that this game is one of the best strategy games in years. The level of detail, the range of tactical options, and the absolute requirement for players to think intelligently about what they are doing and to constantly adapt to shifting conditions and situations all make it stand out over most other games in the genre.

Casual players or those who see Command & Conquer or Starcraft as deep and challenging examples of the genre will have a massive shock when playing this however, so I’d only recommend the game to people willing to master what is probably the steepest learning curve of any game I’ve played, irrespective of genre. The game does need patience, and you have to be able to sink a lot of time into it too, as occasionally the pace of battle is slowed by supplies running out, and on average each single player skirmish can last up to six or seven hours.

This game can be savagely hard. I played the tutorial mission on the highest difficulty setting to see what would happen, and had my entire platoon wiped out in just under a minute after they landed on the beach. That’s just crazy, for one thing I’m no stranger to these games, but the game makes no apologies for it; rather, it sticks up two fingers and tells you to come on if you’re hard enough, and I fucking respect that. There’s no dumbing down here, you have to meet it on its own terms, and you have to applaud the developers for their integrity in sticking to that.

Men of War: Assault Squad is a very fine game, and will reward those who can take it on and meet its challenges without shying away with a deep and fulfilling strategy experience.

- Coach

Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:49 am
Felix Rex

Rinox wrote:
Quote:
- Online play doesn’t suffer from a lot of lag issues and works pretty smoothly even on my infamously unreliable connection.

Peltz is apparently uber-fail. :roll: Otherwise, yea, I agree with the review. The game is freaking hard.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:36 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

haha, I think Peltz' PC was crashing rather than his connection failing. Most of the time at least.

- Coach

Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:46 am
Stranger

Why thank you for the compliment, lol. Anyway yes, it has something to do with the pc hardware rather than the connection itself. Although i still don't know why i suffer ridiculous pings whenever there's a player hosting the server.

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:16 am
Felix Rex

Ox and I played overlord yesterday on normal. He ended up getting an invulnerable tank, which sped along our inevitable victory, though by the end it was pretty beat up. Still, we would've won eventually regardless... we were dominating.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:22 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Yeah, we were doing pretty well. We kind of got lucky that that Jumbo Satis mentioned bugged out right as the final counter rolled in, but even so we had things covered pretty well. Was kinda funny to see it being pummeled by 3-4 tanks at a time and not losing ever more mobility/firepower (turret damaged, tracks damaged, etc); but never exploding or having its hull breached or engine caught on fire. Hilarious.

Some amazing airborne infantry frag moments again, taking out artillery and AT guns left and right. And of course airstrikes mayhem, and Satis' mortars destroying every house on the map. :P I had me one Stug I captured, destroyed at least 8 tanks, including the Tiger that rolled in at the end. Then it was destroyed by another Stug. :( I got a little careless and after all that fragging of much bigger tanks I figured it'd own another stug no problem. yeah, stupid. :roll:

Note: Yank tanks are so shit compared to the Germans. Not Japan level of shit, but still.

EDIT: oh and I got my mic sorted out for next game we do together. :)

- Coach

Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:28 am
Minor Diety

On that note: who can play this weekend? And if so, when?

I should be free most of the time, unless someone calls me out for a drinkfest.

- Coach

Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:44 am
Minor Diety

Well, yeah in comparison to Soviet and German armour, yank tanks are generally inferior. But not bad i'd say. You just need to use them a bit more carefully. Some of note:

M5 Stuart - Light but cheap and mobile. A decent little infantry / assault tank. Has a 37mm gun to deal with armoured cars or ambush light tanks when things get desperate.
Sherman - Good as an infantry assault tank (and quick) but generally not so good armour and unimpressive main gun against armour. I don't bother engaging enemy medium tanks at all with this. It's top-mounted 50 is dab handy though.
Firefly - Sherman chassis, so weak armour, but it has the infamous Brit 17 pounder AT gun, which is one of the best AT guns of the war. Use as tank destroyer only.
Wolverine - Another weakly armoured tank killer. Its 76mm AT gun is pretty good, but you wanna keep this thing hidden in a bush cos othewise you'll lose it to a medium tank pretty fast.

Seems what they lack is a true ground-holding medium tank. Like the soviet T34 or kraut Pz IV.

I'm up for Sunday most probably.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:49 am
Felix Rex

Great game today Ox... we took Carentan on normal. I'm afraid that the Satis pwnt the Oxinizor, but I'm sure it was only because of Ox's inferior nation. Or something. damn waffle eaters! ;)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:27 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I took a pic of my halftrack that went through the ice during today's game. Apart from a)men falling into freezing water and living and b) some of them being unable to get out of the hole in the ice and not dying from the cold, it actually looks pretty good and/or realistic. :roll: You can see the halftrack lying on the bottom of the 'lake', it didn't just blow up or vanish.

I actually had no idea that heavier units could fall into ice. I mean, I should have known it was possible with this being MoW and everything being freakishly detailed, but still!

- Coach

Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:00 pm
Felix Rex

yea, good game today. Lots of fun. Finally winning was great, though I regret trying to rush the flag with my Stug. I had that tank the whole game, only to have him get pwnt in the last 5 minutes. :roll: Fun stuff though. I think Derf was passing out halfway through.

Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:10 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I truly was exhausted. Damn extra curricular activities. However I was in good spirit throughout. Twas an immense game. We killed it. The only real problem was that Pz VI. That thing was a cunt. I actually saw one of those things in real life at the tank museum and let me tell you, it is by far the largest and most horrifying machine in there.

In the game, I bought a slugger (90mm tank destroyer) to try and snipe it. My plan was to snipe it using ACPR. First attempt, I rolled forward, fired at the turret, but missed. The Pz VI then spotted me and started to turn its gun towards me. I backpedalled that slugger like a sonofabitch. There was no way in hell I would survive 1 single hit from the 88. Luckily it missed the 1st shot, the 2nd two were desperate. My second attempt was to try to attack from the left of the map, since there was more cover. Unfortunately, the same deal happened. I fired once, missed, but this time decided to stay put and gamble. The Tiger missed, I fired again, missed. Tiger fired a second time and killed me. I should have used cover. Damn yank tanks.

I didn't bother manning a single AT gun during that game since you guys were doing so damn well tending steel graveyards.

You may have noticed that I gave up entirely on the centre at one point. I just didn't see the point. It was far too busy and I was taking too many casualties from unknown angles. I figured that by focusing inwards from a flank would both protect me and get some good kills. Seemed to work well. Toward the end, I bough a howizer and proceeded to bomb the fixed positions. I then grabbed some Rangers and started to attack and gain ground.

The final flag grab was really owed to Rinox. His brave soldiers taking it out at super close range. Soon after my Rangers stormed into the trenches to take out the Kraut infantry. Seconds later, Satis men stormed and captured the point.

Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:37 am
Minor Diety

Hehe, now I think of it, that entire raid was pretty epic.

I broke through the enemy lines on the left (there was a lot of infantry holed up there, but the rangers took them out hard-style) amidst the Tiger II shells and moved from cover behind one slope to the former position of an 88 next to the final trench line. Then I sprinted into the trenches with about 6-7 guys, but the fighting in the trenches was a bitch with still a good few Jerries in there, and a grenade or two dropping in there. Ugh. I lost a few guys and even though i was really near the Tiger II with the ones I had left, it was too far away to actually throw an AT nade on it. So...they courageously left the trenches, running around in enemy gunfire, and dropped three AT nades on the monster. First AT nade...crew injured...second AT nade...crew injured...and finally, THIRD AT nade, turret + main gun damaged. Triumph!

I was actually panicking a bit by then, since only two guys of the 4 left actually had any AT nades anymore and no one was carrying any type of AT weapon. If that third one hadn't done any damage either, all wouldf have been for naught. I prolly should have thought about packing the rangers with some sort of explosives beforehand, or just more AT nades for all. :roll: There was another attempt I did with a jeep that I loaded with AT infantry, in an attempt to flank it from the left. :lol: It was fast enough to dodge the Tiger's fire if it had to I think, but the infantry raped it before it could even try.

Abandoning the center was a good idea Derf. At that point in the game it wasn't covered enough from the enormous influx of infantry and my AT gun positions weren't sufficient to take out incoming armor in time. Also, artillery pounding you. Once we secured the left and right flank of that line it was easy to hold it, but almost impossible to move up because of the King Tiger covering the area. I swear, that thing's range was absolutely insane.

Anyway, nice that we were able to conquer that one. :) Deserves a chest-thump.

I think I played all the yank missions on normal now, either with Satis or us three. Time for the Jerry campaign :P (or whatever is next).

P.S. the paratroopers drops and airstrikes: is there only a limited amount of each? Like, you can only use the paratrooper drop X amount of time and it then disappears from the menu? I think we lost the airstrike option too towards the end.
P.P.S. re: my jeep AT strike plan...would it make a difference to load the jeep full off explosives and drive it towards (or against) a tank or enemy position? I mean, if it were to take heavy damage, would the explosives in it actually make a difference for the explosion's strength? If you don't know, I'll test it. :)

- Coach

Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next