It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 8:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next
MoW: Assault Squad 
Stranger

Post Re: MoW: Assault Squad
Yeah, i was like ooh look a tractor, damn its snowed in, ooh a truck lets take it for a spin. Then i saw ox's men under fire and went oh hell i gots this lol, turned the truck around and tried to reverse it into the enemy lines to harass, draw fire. Then i thought what are those dark dots flying towards the trucks, ah shit nades, accelerate accelerate boooom passenger dead, no worries the driver's still good to go ah argh the truck is damaged, bail bail, ratatatatatataaaa driver dead, aah was fun lol :D

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:58 am
Felix Rex

Hehe, I had a lot of fun. Looking forward to another go.

Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:40 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

derf wrote:
Yeah, that was a fucked up game right at the end there. I was watching that Stug III take multiple rounds from my 76mm AT gun to its side and only cause "Crew Injured" time and time again. I can only put that down to a bug, which seems comically similar to what happened last time.

Yeah, did we ever tell Satis and Peltz about that one game with the armored car? Basically it was the same bug as with the Stug, but only even more ridiculous. It was 'just' an armored car, luckily, but it just wouldn't freaking die. We pummeled it with heavy calibre AT rounds, artillery, even airstriked it..only thing that happened was 'crew injured'. We'd actually shot the wheels off and everything, it was just a black-fried hull of an armored car chassis lying on its side and continuing to fire. :? Since it was only an armored car somewhere on the left side, it didn't prevent us from winning. But it did fuck up any infantry advances I was trying to make left for most of the game.

Btw, don't use the Americans' Priests. I ordered two and they gave me nothing but pain. In theory they're great - fast-moving long-range artillery with an MG on top - but in practice they tend to be really annoying and pick their own targets right as they reloaded, so before you can select a proper target and start shooting them with the artillery. And, of course, the damn thing is stuck on the spot during its 30-second long artillery firing and becomes a sitting duck in a place you really don't want it to be. It should go better with full manual control, but that kind of fidgeting kind of beats the purpose of the damn thing (ie, quickly moving into a forward position to shell 88's or so, then move back). Not a fan.

Maxsons are insane tho :D Oh and didn't the Americans have a jeep with an MG + light AT cannon on it? No that were the Brits. I loved that thing.

P.S. if you need a great all-purposes infantry in areas with a lot of cover, consider a flamethrower infantry squad. Not only are they great for clearing trenches and bunkers, they also decimate groups of infantry and, in addition to all that, can easily smoke out the crew of light to medium armor or put their engine on fire. Their range is very decent too. They're one of the only troop types that can take on virtually any situation. On the flip side, they are slow, prone to explode and quickly run outta fuel. :roll:

- Coach

Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:18 am
Minor Diety

Also, I managed to cap Peltz' engineering truck antics. :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

- Coach

Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:23 am
Felix Rex

I've been playing a bunch of this game... great stuff. I'm starting to really dig AT infantry, btw. They're damned near worthless against the heavier tanks, but they freaking kick ass on the light armed vehicles and even some of the medium tanks. Plus they can hide in brush real easily.

Anyway, still going through the campaigns. Playing Russia going after Japan now. Boom boom boom! I love their special "mortar". Freaking massive BOOM!

Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:15 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

I haven't picked up Derf's neurosis about arranging men in formation after battle, but I am trying to not lose quite so many. I think I'm slowly getting better. Stand far back, blow the piss out of them... rinse, repeat.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:30 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Jesus Christ, that's a nice score. :) Especially for playing on your own. I'm kind of impressed that you're doing all those missions alone. Sure there is a pretty big gap between easy and normal, but even so. Great that you're loving it though.

It's one of those games where, when you get relatively good at it, you start to see its brilliance even more. Every battle is a succession of tiny awesome moment and stories, or acts of heroism. And often moments where things go completely FUBAR in seconds. It's glorious. I've seen things happen that are completely insane...a shell deflecting off a tank's armor, hitting the side of a house and causing debris to fall on a soldier standing below and then some.

And one rule in MoW: if you THINK it can be done, it probably can be done. I didn't know at first that a flamethrower could be effective against armor, but I once used one (out of necessity) since it made sense - and it worked. You can use MG's with a decent calibre to shoot tank tracks (you'll never the armor itself of course) and can use shells to blast away a wall of a house if there's enemies hiding in it. And so on. You could even have an infantry soldier pick up several explosive shells from a tank or supply truck, pile them on the road and shoot them when a tank goes over.

(sorry I get a little carried away by MoW sometimes :) )

As for AT infantry...welcome to the club. ;-) They can be devastatingly effective and are cost-wise a massive alternative to tanks. What do you think about the british and I think soviet AT rifle guys? I prefer the US and jerries and their bazookas and panzerschrecks myself.

Also, Derf hates the Japanese with a vengeance. :lol:

if you're digging the game as much as you are then you might wanna take a look the original game, or more specifically the expansion Red Tide since this game isn't actually meant to be a singleplayer game (it was made for co-op and pvp primarily). Having said that, the other games have a lot of missions with small teams too, not just these massive defense or attack battles.

Video...trailer for Men of War: Vietnam, coming in September :)

- Coach

Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:28 am
Felix Rex

cool trailer...though wtf "song" was that. It sounded mildly 60s/70s, but more like someone just made up what they thought a song from then would sound like. :roll: Looks cool though... helicopters! F4s! W00t. The maps better be a lot bigger, though, or it'll be stupid.

Regarding mow:as, yea, it's fun. Lots of omgwtf moments, like you described. I've got it almost to a science, but there's a part in the middle that's always tough... when the enemy tanks show up, but all you have is AT infantry to counter them. That shit is rough. Once the AT guns become available, not so bad. I also tend to have my light tanks omgwtfpwnt. Oh well.

I actually prefer the brit/jap AT guns vs the US/German rocket-based antitank. The rocket ones are probably more effective, but I like the guns...they fire fast and are pretty accurate. If you get 3 AT guys in view of a tank, that thing gets pumelled to hell with a vengeance. Watching jeeps and trucks get pwnt is almost painful. The biggest bitch, to me, is that an ammo truck only holds 50 AT rounds. That's enough to resupply like 2 AT infantry. Kinda crappy, if you ask me.

Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:44 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

So?

Be well or Get Help!!

Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:17 am
Minor Diety

Derf seems to be afk, so I'm gonna go out and get wasted for a while...we'll play tomorrow perhaps. :)

I'm itching for a good game tho. Maybe after I get back for drinks. :)

- Coach

Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:10 pm
Stranger

Bah, I got tired of waiting and went to bed. You better show up today or i am gonna fly there and nail you in front of the pc :D

Be well or Get Help!!

Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:55 am
Minor Diety

Haha, I should totally be able to make it tonight, I don't know about everyone else tho!

- Coach

Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:05 am
Stranger

Come on guys, when do we go, i was so bored i cleaned out my garage and... Does it sound like i am desperate? :D

Be well or Get Help!!

Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:37 am
Minor Diety

Hahaha, only slightly. ;) I'm on steam for the rest of the evening normally speaking, and you're too so we'll wait a while until Satis and/or Derf get here. :)

- Coach

Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:47 am
Minor Diety

I'm here tonight lads.

Might pop out for a couple of hours in an hour or so. But my evening is all free.

Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next