It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Red Faction: Guerilla 
Felix Rex

Post Red Faction: Guerilla
I picked this game up for fairly cheap on one of those Steam summer sales, and it's actually pretty good. It's fairly open world in that there are open zones... as you conquer a zone for the red faction (the martian liberation basically) you open up new zones. Travel from zone-to-zone is open-world... no load screens or anything. Mostly the world is just red hills and red plains... gets a bit repetitive, but it's freakin' Mars, so I guess that makes sense. :roll:

There are a bunch of vehicles you can commandeer, but the best thing is blowing up shit. Basically any vehicle or structure can be destroyed. You were a demolitions mining expert, so you carry along demo charges you can plant and then detonate. You can buy upgrades and new weapons and whatnot with 'scrap' you collect after blowing shit up. You also have a sledge hammer you can use.. given enough time, you can take down any building or vehicle using just your sledge hammer.

The building construction is pretty flimsy, but it sort of fits. It also seems like the building are very lightweight (fits again). It's possible to bash out 3/4 of a building's ground floor and it'll still stand. The best is setting a whole series of explosives around the ground floor of a building, backing up, then detonating it and watching the explosions ripple and crap blowing up everywhere. On more than one occasion, I think that it was sufficient, then the whole structure will come tumbling down. :twisted:

Anyway, I'm only in a few hours, so it's possible I'll get bored with the mechanic, but so far it's keeping me quite happy. In some ways it's similar to Just Cause 2, but in JC2 you can only blow up some things.. in red faction you can blow up freakin' anything.

Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:26 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Post Re: Red Faction: Guerilla
Mm damn, after reading this I wish I had caved and splurged the 5 € on it after all. :o It sounds pretty fucking cool! Can you kill tanks with your hammer too? :P

- Coach

Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:06 am
Felix Rex

Tanks are pretty tough and dish out some pain. I bet you could kill it with the hammer, but it would take awhile and you'd probably die.

Following the suggestion of an article I read a long time ago about this game, I played the game on casual. The reason is that it can be brutally difficult even on casual. Plus on normal difficulty, you can't really run around and bash people with your hammer.

I actually took a couple vids, but have so far failed to convert and upload them. The game is still fun ~ 9 hours in, though it does get a bit repetitive. There are basically the main story missions, then a bunch of what seems to be randomly generated missions on the sides. You get an icon on your map for the various types of missions, go there, and activate it, but they all fall into the same general 5 or so types. It's still fun, but I can only rescue hostages to many times. The story missions are very varied and tell the actual storyline, so no complaints there, and I still enjoy riding in the back with the crazy guy, blowing shit up while he goes on and on about how he plans to adapt to breathing carbon dioxide so that he can be a true martian. :roll:

Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:24 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Here are some vids.

Me destroying a building of some sort.
http://clankiller.com/stuff/redfactionH ... uction.wmv

Me destroying a bridge and killing a bunch of mofos
http://clankiller.com/stuff/redFactionBridge.wmv

Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:58 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

That all looks...strangely satisfying. :twisted: :twisted:

- Coach

Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:43 am
Felix Rex

I completed this game with about 13 hours sunk into it. Overall, a lot of fun, though it does get a bit repetitive as you go into it. Still, blowing up structures and making them collapse never really gets old. :mrgreen: And there's tons of stuff I missed... like there are secret audio recordings that you can uncover to unlock super bombs or something. I found 3 and unlocked MOAB, but wasn't really able to use it like I would have liked. :?

At any rate, for the price, it was well worth it. If you guys see it out there cheap, I'd recommend picking it up, but I wouldn't buy it at full price. It's also a definite console port thanks to some not-so-pretty parts that require hitting the enter key and stuff, but mostly it's fine. The graphics are nice (my videos were dialed down to medium because my gfx card just isn't cutting the mustard any more). Good voice acting.

Satis-o-meter: 7.5/10. The negatives are that it gets repetitive and the story is pretty predictable.

Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:04 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Satis wrote:
Satis-o-meter: 7.5/10. The negatives are that it gets repetitive and the story is pretty predictable.

*fires up the Jade Converting Machine*

:jade: :jade: :jade: :jade: :jade: :jade: :jade: :jade:
*beep* *whiz* *poing*
:jade: :jade: :jade: :jade: :jade: :jade: :jade: :jade:

Final score: 1/10

- Coach

Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:53 am
Minor Diety

Started playing this now, and after blowing up a lot of shit I must say it felt very satisfying...but...there is no quicksave, and the 3rd person perspective is very narrow. I'll see if I can adjust FoV for the latter problem, the former seems to be unfixable though. If so, i may not play this game for long. :(

I can remember a time when I didn't have the money to buy many games so the ones I did buy I played to make sure I wasn't wrong about them after a bad first impression. Now I got so many games that I just go "eh, next" when I run into a crappy one. :P I suppose it's good in the sense that there's a larger offer of games and I don't spend time playing a potentially bad game, but otoh it does make for a very rapid rise in jadeness.

- Coach

Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:12 pm
Minor Diety

Rinox wrote:
I can remember a time when I didn't have the money to buy many games so the ones I did buy I played to make sure I wasn't wrong about them after a bad first impression. Now I got so many games that I just go "eh, next" when I run into a crappy one. :P I suppose it's good in the sense that there's a larger offer of games and I don't spend time playing a potentially bad game, but otoh it does make for a very rapid rise in jadeness.

Good point. Sometimes I think disposable income was directly attributed to the rise in Jadedness. With my parents first PC, I played Final Doom, Caesar 3 and Tomb Raider and those games we like "OMFG AWEOMSE!1"

Then my uncle came and gave us a bootleg CD's filled with games and I was like ... "meh ... this is ok ... what's the other one like?" and so didn't probably concentrate on titles the way they deserved. But then, once I found something I liked, I played the bejesus out of it.

Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:47 am
Minor Diety

Yeah, I still occasionally fall in love with a certain game, but generally speaking my tolerance for BS has fallen extremely low.

- Coach

Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:02 am
Minor Diety

To revisit our old discussion: I think what I (we) said may be partially true, but not entirely. I played Dungeon Keeper (the original) with the KeeperFx compatibility mod again and by Satan it's still an amazing game. Even with the resolution restrictions, once you zoom out a little. Design is ace, gameplay fluid and fun, atmosphere and artstyle top notch...there may have been a litte nostalgia to it, but I wouldn't have kept playing through the entire campaign and expansion if it was just that. :P Seriously, some games just seem to be timeless, others annoy me in the first 2 hours. I guess in addition to being jaded, some games are just really good. And most others just aren't very good...

- Coach

Thu May 10, 2012 12:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]