It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 9:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
X-Com FPS rumored. 
Stranger

Post X-Com FPS rumored.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6258092.ht ... op;title;4

Quote:
All the gossip has now proved to be true, with 2K today confirming that it is indeed working on a new game in the alien-focused franchise, simply titled "XCOM." The publisher is billing the new Xbox 360 and PC game as a "re-imagining" of the franchise. Unlike the turn-based strategy and resource management core of the original X-Com: UFO Defense, the new title will be a first-person shooter. Players will take the role of an FBI agent whose job is to identify and eliminate an unknown extraterrestrial threat.

Mixed emotions about this one.

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:49 pm
Felix Rex

Post Re: X-Com FPS rumored.
Sounds like they're just using the name and tossing out what made the franchise so good. It's still possible it'll be good... but it won't be XCom unless there's a strategic element.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:28 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

Well apparently when to reload and when to switch weapons is all the strategy a console player can handle.

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:14 am
Minor Diety

True that. Even aiming is a bit of a challenge. ;)

While I'm willing to postpone judgement on the new X-Com a bit (though I AM worried), I really do wonder whatever happened to these genres. Would it really be commercial suicide to build a game with the same mechanics/in the same genre but with an update to graphics, balance, skills, design etc? I mean what makes X-Com a classic is not the graphics, it's the gameplay.

But instead everything seems to be evolving towards a same-ish FPS shooter movie genre kind of game which is usually ok to play but not very intricate. There is still a lively indie scene, of course, so that counterbalances some of the more generic bid budget titles. In a way you could say it's like the movie industry: the masses like blockbusters - they often know they're not the most brilliant movies ever but they're entertaining and they know what to expect. For people who expect more of their films, there's a huge indie scene.

In gaming it seems that as it is opening more to the masses (instead of just 'gamers') you get the same shift towards blockbuster games being relatively dumbed down and stripped off most complexity. The big difference is that in gaming, these games are often still met with positive or outrageously positive reviews. If Generic Shooter 5 isn't the best game ever, that's ok because it still has nice graphics (for example) and gets an 85% for trying. In the movie critic scene, a similar movie gets a 30% rating at best.

So, in gaming you create an atmosphere where every blockbuster title is doted with a good to amazing review score AND panders to the masses at the same time. That success might explain how we ever move towards a more generic Joe Sixpack Console Player standard of games, one that neither of us here really fits in. :(

/rant over

- Coach

Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:16 am
Felix Rex

ah, but many of those reviews are bought and paid for by the game companies. If they just spent 5 years and x million dollars making the game, what another mill in kickbacks to game reviewers. Besides, gaming is still young... it's been mainstream for well under a decade. Movies have been mainstream since... the 40s? Maybe it's only a matter of time before we start seeing poor reviews of these blockbusters as well.

An X-Com fps COULD be awesome, though, if they maintained the strategic part. Building bases, managing research, etc... but when you go to an invasion sight, you go fps with a squad that you can command. Something like Ghost Recon or something, where getting shot is deadly.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:07 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

Well the move to FPS is not new actually, there was an attempt quite some time ago called Xcom Alliance i think.

And i agree with both of your rants. The reviews make no sense and most of the time i read them to see if there are any killer bugs.

Anyway the Xcom universe is rich enough to actually use the backstories and stuff to create a game in the said universe without touching the Xcom alien combating organisation. Furthermore i believe that lots of games suffer from being built for easy cash purpose or even outright scam purpose. And the games fail to deliver an emotion the player can relate to. How many of us can relate to being a bad ass who hauls a truckload of guns on his back to a gunfight.

The future looks sad where those who have money want to create simplistic crap for the masses and those who have brilliant ideas lack the funds to succeed. And should they finally succeed they have run out of ideas and start producing crap as well.

Be well or Get Help!!

Last edited by Peltz on Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:36 am
Stranger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVwIkJPMeP4
Here's a look at the Alliance game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNwJmMcImcU
Here's the intro.

Quote:
Oh hay guyz lets all split up and explore hostile territory alone rather than utilize tactics or strength in numbers
oh shit man down how could this have happened
- Vortex1991

Apparently that team wasn't part of the earlier X-com series or they would have known better not to split up.

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:37 am
Felix Rex

I remember when they were talking about it, but the game never happened, did it? Once of those 'in production' games that eventually fizzled and went away. Like a truncated version of duke nukem never-ever.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:30 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

First trailer for the Xcom game

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/06 ... more-31824

It's (obviously) not top down and TBS anymore, but I think it looks awesome. Very stylized, and a creepy-but-cool atmosphere. I'm optimistic about this so far.

- Coach

Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:40 am
Felix Rex

interesting. I'm not sure if I should be excited or not, but it's something to keep an eye on.

Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:54 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

Alan Wake resurfaced from Rapture? :D

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:19 pm
Felix Rex

some more info on the upcoming game. This is via Wired and E3.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/06/xcom-impressions

Quote:
After a live demonstration of X-Com by 2K Marin’s Martin Slater at E3 Tuesday, I’m glad to report that the upcoming title for Xbox 360 and PC allows gamers to play strategically — just not as they did in 1993. Players will run and gun, but choices they make during firefights (and between them) make a difference. The game lets players make meaningful decisions between bursts of filling aliens full of lead.
...[snip]...
One mission might earn you resources to research new weapons; another might make you a hero, building your agency’s reputation with the average Joe. We’re not talking Sid Meier levels of strategy here, but the mission map and the consequences you must face when tackling each assignment feel like a nice nod to the fans who installed the MicroProse games back in the day.

Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:57 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Yeah, I read a comprehensive review in my gaming magazine already on it, which was (together with the stylised trailer) one of the reasons for my optimism. :) It may not be a TBS classic anymore, but it sure seems to try hard to be more than a shooter. ENough to give it the benefit of the doubt for me.

- Coach

Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:59 pm
Stranger

E3 Gamespot

Hands off preview. I am quite intrigued actually.

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:23 am
Felix Rex

holy resurrection, batman! The last post was almost a year ago. Christ. funny I mentioned Duke Nukem Forever, and that shit is coming out in a week. :roll:

The article is kinda blabbering and makes me nervous. I really want this to be a good game. I love X-com, but I'm such a graphics whore I can't play the old ones. :( Need New Version!

To be honest, I'd love an x-com 1 remake, with the "real-time" of apocalypse, but in true 3d and with high-rez graphics. Please! And maybe make it not quite so hard for nubs. Because I think for every 10 games I started of X-Com, I got wiped out in the first 2 missions on 9 of them.

Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:48 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next