It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Lionheart 
Minor Diety

Post Lionheart
not going to post everything in the bg3 post, we want to keep things clean so i just start a new topic.

played the demo for about half an hour (don`t have much time) and it seems a cool game to me. but a few questions to those that are also playing it:

- how do you cure disease or poison? or do you just have to wait untill it`s over? i`m playing more of a fighter-type appearantly so maybe i just lack healing spells.

- can i heal my companion or see his status or give him specific orders? i just picked up a bear but i can`t seem to let him attack other enemies than i attack.

(ps: if you don`t know what i`m talking about read the bg3 post first)

~King of Thieves~

Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:27 am
Minor Diety

To keep things clean, I'll transfer this topic to the right forum. :wink:

How far did you get? I thought the demo stopped at the crossroads because after doing everything there I couldn't get to Barcelona.

A few things I don't like about the game:
1. You can't give orders while paused (and your enemies move quite fast)
2. The game looks ugly.
3. It's too much hack 'n slash untill now.

One thing I do like about the game:
No memorizing spells but mana.

Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:39 am
Minor Diety

ah lol i'm in the crossroads now. but i noticed i can go down a map so it`s not over yet (i think)

not giving orders while pausing makes things hard indeed. but it adds up to the challenge if you ask me

ugly? well i'm used to play bg so i don`t think it`s that ugly. and as you may have read you can`t pick a higher resolution which should make the gamer nicer i think and make the game-screen itself bigger (the bar really fills up too much of the screen now)

yeah most of it is hack and slash up till now. probably even more because i'm fighter-type.
game is more of a dungeon siege type if you ask me. although i only played that demo too.

maybe if you play something else you must rely more on diplomacy, talk your way out of fights, ... . dunno

*update*

played some more, i hope you do know that you can go down on the map crossroads :P .
anyway just got some serieus butt-kicking from some undead thing (lots of skeletons with it so i guess it`s undead). i also noticed that when you sneak you get experience. cool. finally the sneakyness gets rewarded.

entered a new map now, there i saved. also i noticed that you can heal and such, only i don`t have any skillpoints there, just put almost everything in one-handed fighting, some in the protecting spell so i get my ac -7 for a while.

so basically i screwed up my character :D

~King of Thieves~

Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:09 am
Super Moderator

One comment about it over at Interplay was the combat was way too fast, which proved to be a problem. Still - I'll get the game anyway :D

Wed Jul 30, 2003 1:54 pm
Minor Diety

The combat indeed is too fast. Some faster enemies st5and next to you hitting you before you can click on them to attack.

Btw J I've found potions to cure poison on a merchant, so I think that's tre only way to cure poison.

Wed Jul 30, 2003 2:17 pm
Minor Diety

ah great, i don`t even have enough money to buy me some decent armor, so i`m not gonna waste it on cure poison potions.

i haven`t found a use for ranged weapons either. i can maybe fire of one bullet or arrow before they`re hacking me to pieces.

oh and my bear died :cry: (this time it`s a crying smilie)

~King of Thieves~

Wed Jul 30, 2003 3:39 pm
Minor Diety

I haven't tried ranged weapons really, but casting a firebolt (or something like that, I can't remember) is sometimes very usefull. I managed to bring down some uberstrong guy by running through the whole field and firing from time to time because I was just a little bit faster. :P
One other stupid thing in combat is that he doesn't run to an enemy. When I'm fighting two guys, one melee and one ranged standing somewhere off, and I've managed to kill the melee one, my character walks very gently towards the ranged guy giving him the opportunity to hit my character some more times, very annoying.
I can endure his slow walking speed but not in combat!

Wed Jul 30, 2003 3:55 pm
Minor Diety

Isn't there a tunr-based combat mode? That would seem logical to me since almost every black isle product has a turn-based mode, and cos it looks a lot like Arcanum, also turnbased.

- Coach

Wed Jul 30, 2003 3:58 pm
Minor Diety

Maybe that's with the inaccesible options.

Wed Jul 30, 2003 4:10 pm
Minor Diety

Yeah i would have thought my character would be a little more anxious to kill that guy that`s constantly shooting arrows up my ass. maybe something in the options too? or some button i haven`t found yet?

and i`m so regretting making my character so fighter-based, my brother was just playing, he could drain life energy out of corpses, raise corpses to act as a servant (not very long but still .. could have used some help at times).

btw the bear: almost missed it too. it`s in the crossroads map, you know the guy that gives you the quests for killing the goblins, the wasps and the laughing thief? it`s a bit to the right of him, then go down a narrow passage. my brother missed out on him too, easy to overlook. :P

~King of Thieves~

Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:13 am
Stranger

Hmmh completed the demo. seems nice. lotsa neat stuff. will prolly get bored of it too quick though but not sure.

checked around in the folder. You can mess around with the screen size in the .cfg file, not much of a use though, since it only widens the screen and the game will run in a box in 800x600 mode, bah monkeys :D

Be well or Get Help!!

Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:58 pm
Super Moderator

It took me about 4 tries just to get to the crossroads, where I died again to the bandits.

Anyway - the word over at interplay re: the demo is that it was only designed to show off the combat, and the real game has more quests, less combat, and is quite different in many respects. Overall, the actual game is easier.

Sun Aug 03, 2003 5:27 pm
Stranger

btw, sneaking near an opponent gives you xp off it that you would normally get killing it, you can gain up to 75 or 85 % percent. in example monster has 100xp, you sneak away 85 and inorder to get the last 15 you'd have to kill it.

I think the demo wasnt too hard, just pull em one at a time if it gets tough. and besides, use the hit and run tactics with that red alien monster (lol:D) near the ship and ogres (those big green thingies).

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:09 am
Stranger

So you guys got the full version yet, im halfway through it and still alive and kickin :D

Be well or Get Help!!

Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:14 pm
Minor Diety

I won't be buying a game anytime soon. Both because I'm a very poor student now and because I don't have much time to game anymore anyway. :(

Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next