It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Aliens Vs Predator (2010) 
Stranger

Post Re: Aliens Vs Predator (2010)
You might want to grab a program like EVGA Precision or something that allows screen captures ingame. Im running my GPU overclock off the Precision and it allows me to take screens with Ctrl+Alt+S but you can choose your own quickkey.

Be well or Get Help!!

Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:53 am
Minor Diety

lol @ the head bite screenshot. Glad to hear you're having fun, but as my fetish for the Aliens and Predator franchises isn't so big as yours and the game appears to be good but not great it may take some time (and discount) before I get around to it. :) MP with peeps you know is probably a ton of fun tho.

As for the screenshots...get a copy of fraps. Totally lightweight program, easy to use, does the job.

- Coach

Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:26 am
Stranger

Yea, fraps does it too, i totally forgot that. I use EVGA since i need it for the OC.

Be well or Get Help!!

Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:59 am
Felix Rex

yea, I figured I'd use fraps. I was happily going along hitting the screenshot button, only to realize it didn't work as I expected. So unfortunately I missed some pretty nice screenies. Ah well. I'll install fraps at some point and provide better feedback.

Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:06 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

It's certainly selling well today, we'd done £3000 by midday when I started, that's a lot!

Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:04 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

I completed the single player game, all three campaigns. The stories are barely inter-related... this, to me, is actually a good thing. Usually when a game writer tries to link together multiple campaigns into a single plot, it turns into a muddy mess. Here, the only unifying factor are the maps and some of the over-arching events. Reusing the same maps isn't so bad, though, as each species handles the maps in different ways.

I have to say that I enjoyed it. If anyone wants a nice FPS-type game, feel free to grab it. The Marine campaign plays like a typical FPS with some horror mixed it. The other two campaigns mix things up significantly. Between all 3, I got quite a few hours of play out of it, so it's well worth it from a time perspective.

I also jumped into a multiplayer game last night... species team deathmatch. It's the first MP I played not including the demo and it was pretty fun. As expected, the predators feel a little over-powered at times, but it's fun to own them. I played as an alien, and unfortunately our 3 man team was down by 1, so our species actually ranked last. :( On a positive note, I got the most kills (17), though only barely.

A few notes... to play the alien effectively, you need to go into the options and turn auto-transition on. Normally when you hit a wall angle (ie, from floor to wall, or wall to ceiling, or whatever) you have to click mouse3 to make the transition. This slows you down and is mostly stupid, but I think it's there to keep people from getting nauseous. Scampering from floor to wall to ceiling to wall to floor can be a tad disorienting even for me, so I imagine some nub might lose his lunch onto his keyboard.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:37 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Well, gamespot totally ripped this game. 5.5 out of 10. Yeesh. Though some of the criticisms are deserved, I think a rating of 7.5 is about as low as I would take it. But hey, to each their own. Metacritic has an average score of 7.2... hmm.

Anyway, some pics!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:10 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

lol. You seem to have had a worryingly good time impaling people and poking their eyes out. :lol:

It looks pretty good, especially the outside areas. And yeah, generally scores I've seen were a lot higher than 5.5. :roll: Probably kind of a fluke review. Can you cap a video from some single-player alien gameplay? I'm curious.

- Coach

Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:08 am
Felix Rex

Yea, no problem. I'll probably replay part of it and cap that, though I have some caps already.

Something of note... in Steam there are three options when playing AvP..

Play AvP
Play AvP DX11
Play AvP DX9

If you choose the first option, apparently it runs the dx11 version, even though I'm not dx11 compatible. This causes hitching... it became a really big problem for me (every couple seconds it would freeze for a seconds, at times) so I googled it. When running the dx9 version manually, no hitching. Go figure. I actually dialed down the prettiness to get it to play smoother as well. :/

On a positive note, under XP, fraps failed to capture my sound, which caused issues with wmv recoding. In win7, it works. :) Anyway, I'll try to get some good representative gameplay. I imagine you want me to skitter all around the walls like a cockroach?

Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:32 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Yes, preferably also killing someone by doing so. Not by skittering I mean, but by first doing that and then dropping from the ceiling and shit. ;)

- Coach

Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:40 am
Felix Rex

Here's a video. It's about 7MB, hope that's not too big. I did kill 2 marines, though I didn't really drop off the ceiling. Toward the end I accidentally hid in a vent instead of killing the second marine. Oh well, you'll see.

http://clankiller.com/stuff/satis_avp_1.wmv

Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:00 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Haha, cool stuff. Do the player models for the marines in MP make similar remarks? or are they silent? I can imagine some people getting nauseous at first from the whole ceiling to wall to floor to vent thing, but I like it.

- Coach

Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:15 am
Felix Rex

No, multiplayer marines don't say anything. It would kinda give away their position, anyway. As an alien you can scream, though... in SP it lures people. Similarly, in SP, a predator can lure marines by cussing or something, pretending to be another marine. I may take more video.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:33 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Here's a longer video of me owning marines as an alien. It's about 17MB and covers about 2 minutes of gameplay. I resampled it to 640x480, so it should be a biter easier to see what's going on. A total of three kills, each different. Plus a harvesting. :twisted: Then me getting pwnt. The game can be pretty unforgiving.

http://clankiller.com/stuff/mdk-1.wmv

Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:00 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Really cool vid :D So if I get it straight the marines can easily kill you in a few seconds of you're exposed and in the open? I know they had some serious firepower in the original AvP but I don't really recall instakills like this. Either way, it looks pretty awesome.

I wouldn't mind some predator gameplay. ;)

- Coach

Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next