It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Aliens Vs Predator (2010) 
Felix Rex

Post Aliens Vs Predator (2010)
I got the multiplayer demo for this game and, to be honest, the demo is a little underwhelming. It's only multiplayer death match, only has 1 map, and has limited graphics (dx9 only). Controls are also not documented... for the most part I can figure stuff out, but it took me a LONG time to figure out how to use weapons with the predator, and I still haven't figured out how to change vision modes.

However... I went ahead an pre-purchased it, because I know I'll be buying it anyway. :roll: The gameplay that was there was actually pretty good.. a marine moves slowly but packs significant firepower. The alien is fast and, once I switched on auto-translate, goes up walls, ceiling, and everywhere else like a dream. The predator I'm still having some issues with, but he's also fun. And the killing moves are pretty freakin' cool.

So anyway, if you think you may be interested, grab the demo, but keep an open mind. :roll: Once the game is released, I'll try to give review of what the finished product is like. It may suck, but I'm hoping not. I love the franchise too much.

Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:18 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

The CAD-guy wrote something similar along that line: the least promising aspect of the game was in the demo or something.

~King of Thieves~

Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:14 pm
Minor Diety

1. On the controller, as an alien, the B button is not used. The perfect use for this would be to litterally drop straight down from the ceiling to the floor below; because otherwise using jump you kind of jump at an angle. Say you've manage to sneak your way right up behind someone and you jump down you tend to end up in front of them.

2. They've ROYALLY fucked up the controls for the Marines on the console version. Compared to CoD in which I can aim where I need to; AVP is all over the place. It's unresponsive but over sensitive, if you ask me.

3. According to This article the demo that is up does genuinely not accurately represent the latest versions available. We'll see when the final game is released.

I've not had a chance to play as the Predator yet, but I get the feeling that (At least in Death Match) the Alien pwnz all.

Rock Band [35%]
http://www.cafepress.com/SmeepProducts

Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:30 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Actually the predator is pretty zomg in the demo, assuming you can grab one of the weapons. The disc is just insanely deadly...whack, dead. The cannon I didn't play with enough to really judge how deadly it is.

The marine is also pretty badass with the right guns. Flame thrower and sniper rifle not so much, but the smart gun is pure murder. The only thing that balances it is the limited ammo and the fact you can't carry a backup with it. Once you're out of ammo, you're totally screwed.

But man, i love the alien. :) When I first played I didn't know how to switch species, so I played alien a few times in a row, and my very first life I racked up 5 kills...not bad for pvp death match. I love running on the ceiling and walls.

Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:52 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I got the demo but didn't have much time to try it yet. Will do so in the next few days. :) And yeah, noticed you'd bought the game based on nothing but goodwill, ya nostalgic bastard. ;)

- Coach

Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:43 am
Felix Rex

To be fair, I did play the demo before I bought it. And the demo was ok enough for me to hazard the single player at full price.

Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:02 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Hehe, rich bastard. :P I'll wait for the reviews and see what they say. if they're around the 88-90% mark I might join you. If not, it'll probably have to venture into discount country first.

- Coach

Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:08 am
Felix Rex

lol, you won't even buy it unless it's in the 'one of the greatest games of all time' terrority. Cheap bastard. :P honestly though, I didn't think you were much of an FPS kinda guy anyway. I most certainly am, and I've been fiending for some gun-toting action. I haven't had a good FPS since like Far Cry 2.

Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:26 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Me, not much of an FPS guy? Hah! Don't confuse my opinion of the military and guns with my wish to virtually blow up shit and shoot people bitch! :P :wink:

I think the only real difference between you and me in shooters is that I never played Quake online and I played a lot of Counterstrike...and AvP obviously. Other than that you seem to play and dig about the same shooters as me, I think. I just want to hang on to my cash a little bit after the holiday sapping of my credit card. :wink:

P.S. Oh and I'm actually good at TF2 now with other classes than the medic. :roll: Sniping a lot these days...and now trying to get the hang of spies. Ooh and I've got every item (not hats) in the game!

- Coach

Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:14 am
Minor Diety

You have every demoman and soldier item? Nice.

I've been playing a bit lately, got 2 soldier achievements now, so 2 weapons. Zero for the demoman (is it me, or are these achievements not so easy?).

~King of Thieves~

Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:39 am
Felix Rex

I didn't find demoman to be all that difficult, achievement-wise. I think the hardest for achievements (for me) was scout, but maybe just because I didn't play him much. I haven't played TF2 seriously in months though.

Easiest was pyro. :)

Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:57 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Mm dunno, don't have all that many scout-achievements either. Played a bit of demo today and got 4 now, so 1 away of unlocking a weapon. And then i can unlock that weapon's achievements.

~King of Thieves~

Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:46 pm
Minor Diety

Some of them are all about racking up numbers and playtime (heavy, medic, pyro). Others are easier/trickier depending how good you're at them. I got to milestone 3 as a sniper just by playing, I was pretty amazed when I noticed I had gotten there already. Others I got quickly by staging situations in one on one play with a friend, like the taunt kills. They're all doable, but take so much time...easier to just do them on an empty server with a pal. :)

The soldier items all came to me by sheer luck, btw. I haven't even got to milestone 1 for the soldier yet. Demo I half played, half did with a friend. :wink:

- Coach

Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:40 pm
Felix Rex

You cheater. I hope they take away your halo (if you got one).

Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:56 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Post Re: Aliens Vs Predator (2010)
So I've been playing this game, and overall I like it. I'll probably do a more thorough review later, but take this as a minor review.

I played the marine single player first and completed the today. I then started playing the Alien. I enjoy the game... it's fun, but not insanely awesome or anything. Still, I have a total thing for the Aliens and Predator universe, so being able to run around and murder is always fun. I'll say that the marine is difficult at times...almost too much so. I played on normal (my usual)... I can't imagine what playing on nightmare would be like. As a marine, aliens are mean bastards... they're quick, they're slinky, and they run around on walls and ceilings like you would expect. Thankfully, face huggers aren't as dangerous in this game as they were in the original...in the original, they were instant-death unless you managed to get the drop on them.

However, with the slinkiness and the initial lack of ammo, I found myself expending all my rifle ammunition on a single alien without managing to kill it, due to the whole slinkiness factor. Like the original, you can blow off their legs and they're still crawl toward you, so shooting the head (off) is the safest bet. Eventually I got better... careful, controlled bursts are definitely the way to go, but the bastards are quick, so it's easy to get overwhelmed. Predators are also dangerous, but you don't actually have to deal with too many of those in the marine campaign. Fighting combat androids is fun, too. They're tough bastards... shooting them in the torso is a bad idea since they're so armored...instead you can pop their heads off, but they keep fighting, so it's a matter of removing limbs until they finally fall over and blow up.

I'm now playing an alien, as I mentioned, and man, it's fun doing finishing moves. I'm attaching a screenie. The graphics are pretty nice, even in dx9 mode. I'm looking forward to my next build so I can take advantage of dx11.. I'm sure it'll look even better. Screenshots, though, are lame... hitting screenshot only puts it on your clipboard, so you basically have to tab out and paste it... at which point you can't tab back in again as the game doesn't work any more. Negative. Also negative is the fact it's checkpoint based... no saves outside the checkpoints. That caused some...aggravation at times.

Still, I'm enjoying the game. The only coop is a survival mode against a never ending deluge of baddies. Haven't touched that or any other MP yet... definitely something I'll be hitting though. I think you can have up to 8 players, so if any of you guys are tempted with the SP, I'd definitely be up for some MP coop.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:42 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next