It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Ubisoft replaces Starforce with other insane DRM 
Minor Diety

Post Ubisoft replaces Starforce with other insane DRM
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/01 ... /#comments

Basically, from now on you will have to be online to play Ubisoft games. Every time you start a game, it checks in with the server. Every time you save, it checks in with the server. And so on. :o

It's absolutely INSAAAANNEEE.

[quote]The price we pay for not requiring the CD in the drive, and for being able to install a game we’ve legally bought on as many machines as we want, is to be permanently online when playing Ubi games. It will authenticate itself online each time you load it, and then save remotely every time you save. This is, to stress, a game perhaps bought in a shop. So from now on, beginning with Settlers 7, potentially all Ubi PC games will require you to check in with them to let them know you’ve started playing their game, and then tell them every time you save, send them all the data in doing so, and then say bye-bye when you’re done playing for that day.

Shack News received some clarifying information from Ubisoft. They explain that they will apply patches should they ever remove the servers behind the games. They also explain that if your connection drops while playing, the game will pause while it tries to reconnect, and then will apparently allow you to carry on without the internet. They don’t say whether it will be impossible to save if you do, however. They also say in the same notes that, “you will need to have an active Internet connection to play the game, for all game modes.â€

- Coach

Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:40 am
Felix Rex

I doubt that would come on AC2. My understanding is that's their 'future plans' but doesn't really exist yet, and AC2 is too close to release to have that magically tacked on. Or so I hope.

However, most definitely not interested in that. BTW, it stores your saved games "in the cloud" as it were, but this is retarded. I want to be able to play games while waiting for a plane in the airport. Or waiting for class to start. Maybe even while in a boring meeting at work. I'm not interested in people controlling what I can and can't do with MY game. I bought it, it's mine... first sale doctrine, bitches.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:16 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Ugh that sounds horrible. Shame, Ubisoft is about the only publisher I still trust for quality games.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:16 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I doubt that would come on AC2. My understanding is that's their 'future plans' but doesn't really exist yet, and AC2 is too close to release to have that magically tacked on. Or so I hope.

Alas...

http://www.vg247.com/2010/01/26/ubisoft ... plication/

Quote:
The new DRM is expected to debut during the closed Beta for The Settlers 7 and is slated to become standard with all Ubisoft PC releases.

This includes the PC release of Assassin’s Creed 2, which hits the UK March 5 and North America March 16.

LAME. Seriously, this means we'd have to crack our own games...but if a company makes me do that I almost feel like I should pirate the game instead of paying Ubi for inconveniencing me. If I have to choose between potentially fucking up a game I bought with third-party cracks or just pirating it as a whole without risking to come out financially gimped, yeah...not really a hard choice. Treat people like crooks, they start to act like crooks.

- Coach

Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:53 am
Felix Rex

Are these guys trying to kill themselves in the PC world? Whatever, I won't be buying any game with that idiocy. Too bad, that's another 'definite buy' that just went to a 'never buy' status. Jesus, the people running these companies are freakin' idiots.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:17 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

It's a crazy world when you realize that EA is actually the more sensible distributor when it comes to DRM. They make up for that with all the 'account' hoops they make you jump through in ME2 tho. :roll:

- Coach

Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:20 am
Minor Diety

Post Re: Ubisoft replaces Starforce with other insane DRM
Hey Satis...guess what! :evil: DRM has finally gone completely and utterly INSANE

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/02 ... more-25624

Quote:
We barely need to say anything here (but we will), as where we’re going we don’t need words. We only need righteous fury. PC Gamer have experienced the controversial new Ubisoft DRM first-hand, in the PC build of Assassin’s Creed 2. We already thought the paranoid new copy protection was pretty bad, requiring as it did an online check everytime you played and giving you a hard time if you tried to launch it offline.

What we didn’t think – what we didn’t believe they’d be mad enough to do – was that it’d kick you out of the game if your net connection dropped for any reason

- Coach

Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:59 pm
Felix Rex

idiots. Guess what manufacturer I won't be buying games from any more? Stupid crap.

Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:04 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Yeah, I'm still kinda wtfbbq-ed over the whole thing. I mean this is just...well...insane. There is no other word. This is effectively driving their PC market into the ground.

Btw, if they stick with the DRM, expect this chain of events to happen:

- in a few weeks' time Ubisoft announces that PC sales for AC2 are in the toilet, as many gamers will be driven to the pirated copy (which will be easier to play by far) or at the very least crack their offical version. Then they will also say that their game is being pirated like crazy and is being torrented prolifically. Then they will say that "if it weren't for the DRM, IT WOULD BE EVEN WORSE!!!11" and justify their idiocy and perhaps even the industry in their draconian DRM measures.

For fuck's sake. I was looking forward to Silent Hunter V and AC2 but now, fuck it. Fuck you very much Ubisoft.

On another, somewhat related note: EA closing servers for games that are sometimes only a year old

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/02 ... t-servers/

Quote:
EA is closing down its online support for late 2008’s Mercenaries 2: World In Flames. As of March 16th this year, you’ll no longer be able to play a multiplayer or co-op round of a game that’s been out for just seventeen months. This is part of another wave of EA gaming shutdowns that includes games barely a year old, as detailed on the rather optimistically named “Service Updates” section of EA’s site.

Yep. And you guys were calling me a raving lunatic when I went all "fuck off Infinity Ward" over them not supporting dedicated servers or modding for the PC. :roll: Thanks to no dedicated servers, this game for example effectively becomes unplayable online after a year. Clearly, PC gaming is being raped all over the board. If I wasn't so cheap, I'd almost spontaneously send cash to Valve for being one of the only companies that still cares. Bah bah bah.

- Coach

Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:52 am
Felix Rex

A lot of game companies are getting retarded. However, I see this as an opportunity for the market to correct itself. Crappy company doing stupid stuff? No one buys their crap and they go under and someone not so stupid takes their place. Hopefully developers like Valve and Stardock step up and become the next megastars of the game development world. Despite everyone's nay saying, the PC still holds a ridiculous amount of money for games, and always will.

Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:28 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I know he has sod all influence, but next time our Ubi rep comes in I'm gonna whine at him about this rubbish.

Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:35 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

Be well or Get Help!!

Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:00 am
Minor Diety

Haha, that's pretty good. One of those guys is semi-stalking the girl I like in a similar fashion. Looking forward to the moment he walks up to me to tell me to lay off 'his' girl. :)

- Coach

Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:29 am
Felix Rex

gotta love loser guys who don't know when it's over. Can't say I've ever had to really deal with anyone like that, though. Thankfully. Awkward!

'Yea, dude... she's not your chick any more. I've been banging her for weeks. Occasionally we laugh at that picture of you in spiderman underwear.'

Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:29 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

Satis wrote:
'Yea, dude... she's not your chick any more. I've been banging her for weeks. Occasionally we laugh at that picture of you in spiderman underwear.'

Quote of the day for tomorrow.

Be well or Get Help!!

Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next