It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Ubisoft replaces Starforce with other insane DRM 
Minor Diety

Post Re: Ubisoft replaces Starforce with other insane DRM
Lol at that comment.

It was in our retail magazine today, obviously riling a lot of people up. There's gonna be a big article on it next week apparently but this week they were trying to say how it was necessary to stop piracy and "WiFi is so prolific most people have internet now". They're also trying to palm it off as a good thing, saying this way it allows unlimited installs, save data that's accessible from any pc anywhere and other such stupid 'benefits'.

Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:03 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

heh...if I can't play my single-player game when and where I want to, it's a rip off. But I think we all agree on that. Whatevah. Ubi has incited the wrath of the internet dorks of the world! Beware! Curses are coming up from parents' basements throughout the world!

Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:05 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I was just thinking on the train how this bullshit saved my budget a bit. Since I won't be spending cash on AC2 or Silent Hunter V anytime soon I got plenty to spare on DA: Awakening. Not much else on the horizon that looks worth it, though.

- Coach

Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:40 am
Felix Rex

I still have plenty of games vying for my attention. A few becoming unbuyable due to stupid DRM doesn't really affect that. Plus my life is busy... I don't really have a ton of time for gaming any more anyway. I still haven't played some of the games I bought.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:21 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

New Ubisoft DRM already cracked

http://www.infoaddict.com/ubisofts-new- ... r-25-hours

Great to see that DRM working out Ubi, now only your paying customers are getting shafted and you can blame any sale failures squarely on pirates! Awesome!

/sarcasm

- Coach

Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:40 pm
Felix Rex

a big selling point of the DRM isn't that it's unbreakable,but that it last long enough that people buy it because they can't download it. A few weeks is usually the magic number.

Obviously this one totally failed. Less than 24 hours? Jeez, I've seen movies take longer to get ripped.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:46 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Amazingly surprising, Ubi's DRM servers failed for almost an entire day this weekend, locking people out of their games. If you still needed another reason to never buy an Ubi game using this DRM anymore, there you have it.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/03 ... n-all-day/

I mean...wow. Can't people just sue Ubi for fucking up their customer rights or something? This is pretty surreal big brother grade stuff.

Appropriate gif is appropriate

- Coach

Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:41 am
Felix Rex

amazing how appropriate the appropriate item is. :roll: Can't actually see it, blocked by my work. Stupid work.

yea, lol @ the authentication servers going down. they'll blame pirates. Some people were talking about DDOSing the servers to cause just this. But whatever, Ubisoft is retarded. I hope they crash and burn and get bought out.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:22 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

I had to open it in a new window for it to play. Loved it :D

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:02 am
Minor Diety

Hehe. You gotta see the pic when you get home. It's pretty awesome in its simplicity. :P

- Coach

Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:05 am
Stranger

Serious wtfbbq stuff :D

EDIT: Found this interesting thought on Tomshardware.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/ubisoft-d ... 32914.html
Quote:
Its not even been a week yet its far to early to by advertising their winning, don't they know boasting about it will only make the crackers try harder?

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:07 am
Minor Diety

It's just semantics anyway. They're "winning" because they released the games without all the content - missions etc are to be downloaded from Ubi, you can only do freeroaming mode in the (cracked) retail games. And yeah, cracking Ubi's servers seems rather painful.

Doesn't matter, I'm not coming anywhere near their games for a long time. It's too bad, as I really, really wanted to play Silent Hunter V and probably would have given them my money.

- Coach

Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:20 am
Felix Rex

I really wanted AC2.

I think it's just a matter of time before someone hacks a legit code, gets the missing content, packages it up and distributes it. I don't really care though... Ubisoft is dead to me. DEAD TO ME!!

Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:33 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/battlefie ... 33006.html

Wow, EA!

Quote:
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 gamers who bought their game through Steam will soon have to contend with one fewer DRM schemes when trying to play their game.

EA revealed in the changelog for the latest Battlefield: Bad Company 2 patch that the update will strip the SecuROM DRM protection from the Steam version of the game.

That doesn't mean that the game will be free from any DRM, but rather EA is content on using Valve's Steam-based DRM to protect its product.

Now i have to admit, I didn't see that coming.

Be well or Get Help!!

Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:41 am
Felix Rex

wow. Holy crap. I can't believe that EA, of all companies, is actually seeming to see the light on DRM. Except for C&C4 of course. :roll:

Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:20 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next