It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Rage 
Felix Rex

Post Re: Rage
Rage review on Ars isn't so positive.

Quote:
RAGE is creatively and mechanically bankrupt, but it sure is pretty
RAGE does a few things right. The game runs on the id Tech 5 engine, and it's absolutely beautiful. PC copies of the game haven't been unlocked yet—we'll have coverage later—but on the 360 the game is an absolute stunner. The engine handles internal and wide open areas with ease, with a solid frame rate and only a little texture pop-in after we installed the game on the 360's hard drive. The racing sections and minigames are fun. We've now reached the end of the rosy section of this post.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/10/r ... -gamed.ars

hmm... yea.

Quote:
So, just to sum up my nine plus hours with the game so far:

No story to speak of
No characters that make an impression
Linear
Broken save system
Dull mechanics
Tedious quests
Weak shooting
Stock weapons
Racing is fun
Minigames are enjoyable
Very pretty

Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:24 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

I must admit i didn't see that coming. The game looked promising.

Be well or Get Help!!

Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:18 am
Felix Rex

I'm gonna wait for some more reviews to come out. But yea. :( Damnit.

Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:58 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Yeah, RPS has demolished the game for its massive issues with Ati cards too...technical issues, gameplay issues, not good. Not good at all. :(

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/10 ... t-rage-pc/

- Coach

Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:41 am
Felix Rex

IGN is fairly positive. The note that most graphics issues are resolved with the latest drivers. they give is an 85%.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/119/1197974p1.html

Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:38 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Gamespot review is a 7.0
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/rage/review.html

Metacritic has Rage for PC at 80%
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/rage

Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:42 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

RPS' final review was actually rather positive

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/10 ... pc-review/

Still, seems like we should hold out for a little while longer

- Coach

Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:41 am
Minor Diety

So, I got Rage as a shiny pretty present from Satis & Shiny during the Christmas sale and have been playing it for the past week, finishing it a few hours ago. Thanks again guys! :)

First things first: when I first installed and booted the game, things did not look good...I was getting graphical glitches on shitloads of stuff, the player vision looked weird and the first hour or so of the game was pretty uninspired. Basically completely on-rails shooting and non-refusable quests and shit. Just to give an example: a guy rescues me in the first 2 mins of the game, takes me to his little outpost and tells me that I need to go kill the bandits who attacked me before they could rally and attack the outpost. So, he gives me a gun and the quest "accept/decline". Turns out it's a false choice, 'cause if you pick 'decline' he'll just stand there until you talk to him again, you can't even leave the freaking room! Not very elegant.

Anyway, having read about the driver problems with Rage on release I update my gfx drivers to the latest edition, which completely fixed all graphical glitches - good! Then I used a Steam launch command string to put the FOV to 100, vastly improving the console BS FOV that made me feel trapped in a box. And I slugged through the first hour, killing bandits with a tiny peashooter.

But rest assured, the rest of the game was way way better. :) From that point on I enjoyed myself almost non-stop. The game opens up and you're put in a town where you can pick up sidequests, participate in races (time trial, regular, rocket race, rocket rally), play minigames etc etc. It's still a very linear game by and large, but it feels a lot nicer to be able to go out and do some other stuff for a change. Also, you can leave town anytime to explore the wasteland a bit. The areas aren't huge, but big enough.

It can't really be overstated how good the game looks. It's classic Id, splashing on the graphics. But the gunplay and racing bits are a ton of fun too. There are at least 10 different weapons with different strengths (there's a BFG in there!) and different ammo types, crazy cool stuff like electric bolts, mind control darts, explosive shotgun shells...it's great fun. And the game couples that to crafting possibilities, allowing you to build or craft all kinds of stuff like bandages, sentry guns, remote control RC bomb cars, adrenaline boosts and what not. My absolute favorites however are the wingstick (a sort of 3-bladed boomerang) and the sentry bot. The latter is a spider-like robot with a machine gun and a nasty melee attack. They absolutely rock. :) Their movement is great...they'll jump up and down ramps, even hang from ceilings to shoot shit. I lub my sentry bots. Talking about movement, enemies move really well too. Melee enemies like mutants will roll and dodge as they run towards you, even jumping off the walls - they're not very tough, but they pack a punch and really mess you up if you keep missing them. Other enemies are more generic but even they will roll to cover and move up behind an armored/shielded ally, making them harder to hit.

The story isn't much to write home about, but eh, it's decent enough. The 2 major city hubs you visit are nicely built and feel atmospheric, and the gunplay and racing is tight fun. Coupled to the mad max feel of the cars and bandits (the different bandit gangs have very distinct and often cool themes) it was all more than enojoyable. :) I'd recommend it to anyone who thinks he might be interested in a game like this, provided he fiddle with the FOV, update his drivers and struggles through the first tutorial-like hour. The ending was kind of abrupt and a little bit too easy on normal imho, which is a slight issue. It also felt like it's setting up for a sequel without ever explicitely mentioning it, so...who knows.

Some pics! You'll notice that the shotgun was my go-to weapon. :roll:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

- Coach

Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:50 pm
Minor Diety

P.S. apparently the game has an entire co-op mini campaign with new content that ties in with the rest of the game. So if anyone gets the game, let me know! ;)

- Coach

Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:03 pm
Felix Rex

sounds awesome. If and when I get to playing this game, I'll let you know. It may be awhile. :roll:

Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:01 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3