It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 9:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 765 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 51  Next
Steam sales thread and other bargain stuff 
Felix Rex

Post Re: Steam sales thread and other bargain stuff
Hexen? Holy crap, you're going seriously old school.

Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:03 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

If you mention Commander Keen or Digger then i'm sending in the paramedics.

Be well or Get Help!!

Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:09 am
Minor Diety

Peltz wrote:
If you mention Commander Keen or Digger then i'm sending in the paramedics.

:lol:

Hexen is just one of those games young me always wanted to play but never got around to, so I figured eh it's 1 euro...

I've played a few old to really old classics during this Pandemic man:

Ultimate Doom
System Shock 1
System Shock 2
Deus Ex
Planescape: Torment

I had played Doom in the past (obv) but I never played the other games so I felt like eh, let's see what the fuss was about. I used some mods to make the games more playable, better looking or capable of running in modern resolutions of course.

System Shock 1 really blew me away with the incredible ambition it had for its time (it was released around the same time as Doom), and 2 took its best parts, trimmed the fat (unnecessary features) and improved the UI and navigation tenfold. It's a masterpiece.

Planescape Torment is an incredible RPG but it didn't really elevate above some of the other classic RPGs for me. The writing is better than say BG2, but the combat is pretty naff. And I have played Disco Elysium in the meantime which probably has even better writing than PST.

Deus Ex was what really blew my mind. The scope of this game is just...wow. It gives you such an incredible amount of freedom on how you approach the game and even when you do stuff that seems to completely break or bend the rules (like killing off characters when you're not 'supposed to') it corrects for that by adjusting the rest of the story events. It's incredible. Sure, the game is old now and has some serious shortcomings compared to modern games but as far as I know it's still unsurpassed in the way it handled player freedom and choice. I can't believe that a 20-year old game has belatedly become on of my favorite games ever, but here we are.

- Coach

Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:42 pm
Felix Rex

I really loved Deus Ex when it was new. I'm positive I can't get past the graphics and old mechanics though. In with the new!

Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:04 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I get it. It definitely is clunky as fuck in some ways now, so I wouldn't recommend it if you're a graphics whore/like modern levels of gaming comfort. :wink: But even now you can tell what an amazing game is underneath it.

Did you play Prey? The recent one, not the one with the indian and the aliens (although that one wasn't too bad either). I kinda feel like that is as close as we've come to equalling Deus Ex, but the whole 'alien' thing takes away from it in my opinion. Ok yeah some Deus Ex 'biotech' skills were pretty much indistinguishable from magic but they were never as outlandish as the worst offenders in Prey.

Don't get me wrong though, Prey is amazing. It's just a little bit more on rails and takes less risks than Deus Ex. But it's a different time too, games can't just take huge risks with big budgets anymore. I get it.

- Coach

Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:31 am
Minor Diety

Torchlight II free on Epic.

I already own it, but grabbed it anyway. I guess i'll be able to play with one of my kids on a different computer (one plays on Steam, one on Epic) right?

GoG has a free Warhammer 40k game as well. Probably never will play that one, but added it to my library. :lol:

~King of Thieves~

Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:58 am
Minor Diety

J wrote:
Torchlight II free on Epic.

I already own it, but grabbed it anyway. I guess i'll be able to play with one of my kids on a different computer (one plays on Steam, one on Epic) right?

Yep! Torchlight II uses its own servers, so it doesn't matter whether you're running one version from Steam and the other from another storefront. :-)

- Coach

Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:28 am
Minor Diety

Tacoma is free on Epic Store this week. :-) It's a nice little story game revolving around AI.

- Coach

Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:48 am
Minor Diety

Hitman (the good reboot) and all three (!) new Shadowrun games are completely free on the Epic store this week. I haven't played Hitman but the Shadowrun games are great modern RPGs, especially Dragonfall and Hong Kong.

- Coach

Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:30 am
Minor Diety

Dungeon Siege 1, 2 & 3 on offer on GoG: https://www.gog.com/game/dungeon_siege_collection

Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:50 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Mm thanks for the tip Pev but gonna hold off on it for now! Got too many other old games I got to play first. :D

- Coach

Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:23 pm
Minor Diety

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is free on epic store right. It's a great addition to the Amnesia series, recommend it!

- Coach

Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:03 pm
Minor Diety

Layers of Fear 2 is free on the Epic store. Right in time for Halloween. :P

- Coach

Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:08 am
Minor Diety

Epic store will offer Pillars of Eternity (I) and Tyranny for free next week. :) (as of the 10th)

Just scratched Tyranny off my Steam wishlist haha, thank you Epic! Shower me in your fortnite money! I have only ever bought one game on your store (for 5 euros) but have a pretty big library of quality games. :lol: Not sure your marketing efforts are working on me.

- Coach

Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:48 am
Felix Rex

I just like the fact that Steam has some competition.

Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:47 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 765 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 51  Next