It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 51  Next
Steam sales thread and other bargain stuff 
Minor Diety

Post Re: Steam sales thread and other bargain stuff
Do you have an SSD or something? I know TOR and co take up a lot of space though.

As an aside, I am thinking of building a new PC in the near future. This one is almost 7 years old. :o It still works fine for most games though, which is saying a lot about the lack of major hardware advances in the last decennium. I think that apart from switching out the GPU a few years ago for a newer and faster one (and one that didn't cause hard crashes :roll: ) I didn't even change anything about it. I saw that SSD drives with relatively large amounts of storage are now finally becoming affordable. 1 TB for 250 dollars, that's not outrageous anymore.

- Coach

Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:21 am
Felix Rex

I do have several SSDs, including a 250GB one I use specifically for games. It's worth it for the improved load times, though I don't typically have time to read the tips they show on load screens. That's a price i'm willing to pay. If you really don't have an SSD yet, I highly recommend you do. It's one of the best upgrades you can do to a PC (after upgrading to 8GB+ of RAM). My computer was built in 2009 I believe. So yea, 7 years. I need to build a new box pretty badly (my back panel USB plugs died a few months ago), but I'm pretty broke.

I did finally finish AC: Brotherhood. Now I'm playing revelations. After that, I'll hit up AC III. I also uninstalled a few games I didn't figure I'd really play any more, like Legend of Grimrock. I've come to find that dungeon crawling games need to be procedurally generated or I lose interest. :P

Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:37 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Yeah, in this day of Steam sales you need to be selective sometimes...that's what my "not fun" folder is for in my Steam library. :roll: I have a few:

- Yet to play (games I haven't played yet but am quite interested in)
- We'll see (games I am so-so interested in that I got as gifts, in bundles or bought myself when I saw drunk)
- Not fun (games I tried but didn't like so banished)
- Already played (duh)
- Early access (games that are still in early access, and/or that I am waiting to get a "definitive version" or director's cut before attempting)

I will definitely give the SSD a try in a new build. Thanks for the input. :)

- Coach

Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:43 am
Stranger

I agree on the SSD. All my computers from now on have one. Its the single must have for any rig - stuff loads fast, less heat, less noise, more performance and the pc stays snappy and responsive even after the disc is full of unnecessary crap from long since uninstalled programs.

Just make sure its NOT a sandforce controller SSD. Should something happen to it, you're **** out of luck and data.

Be well or Get Help!!

Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:29 am
Felix Rex

lol, just check reviews. Thing is, they're cheap now if you watch for deals. I typically find good deals on Amazon (deal of the day kind of stuff) and Newegg (again, daily deal stuff). If you're seriously looking at buying, just kinda watch those sites until you find a good price. I'm seeing ~250GB SSDs going for under $60 now. You poor bastards have to deal with communist VAT and ridiculous exchange rates, so it'll probably be a lot more... but man, my first SSD was 160GB and cost me over $500. How things have changed.

I don't know if I posted about this, but via Shiny I acquired some 'old' core i3 computers that a company had used for tech support agents. They were Dells and had 2nd generation core i3 processors with a crappy hard drive and 4GB of RAM. I replaced the slow RAM with 8GB of faster RAM (the best it would support), replaced the slow hard drives with 250GB SSDs I got at $70 a pop, and then reinstalled a from-scratch win7. Those boxes now fly. It's awesome. I use one for my home theater PC and gave the other 2 away to friends and family. Even better, since they were Dells, they had the Windows CD key printed on them, so they're all running legit copies of Windows. :p I also jumped on the free Win10 upgrade on my HTPC, so it's now running the latest and greatest.

So, yea, SSD for the freaking win. But if you're building a new computer, look into m.2. The good ones are more than 6 times faster than the current fastest regular SSDs. However, due to chipset limitations, you can only have a single m.2 at full speed (PCIEx4). Between that and price, my next rig will probably run a combination of an m.2 drive and one or more standard SSDs.

Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:41 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

The latest Humble Bundle is VERY good, with Sunless Sea, Door Kickers, Trine 3 and Or Else Heart Break. You can get them all for less than 8 dollars. :o

https://www.humblebundle.com/humble-indie-bundle-16

- Coach

Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:18 am
Felix Rex

Purchased. Because why not?

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:51 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Steam sale incoming next Thursday (23rd of June). Seems all but certain.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/0 ... ale-start/

- Coach

Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:38 am
Felix Rex

Oh shit, the Steam Summer Sale has started.

The site is actually loading really slowly and getting lots of errors, so it would appear it's rather popular.

Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:34 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

So, I may be a terrible person, but I bought

Shadow of Mordor
Prototype 2
1 finger death punch
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood
SatelliteReign
Ryse: Son of Rome
Duke Nukem Forever
Assassin's Creed Liberation
Assassin's Creed Freedom Cry
Assassin's Creed Black Flag
Orcs Must Die! 2

I also bought the Season Pass for The Division, since first DLC drops in a week. I'm so weak-willed. :cry:

Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:19 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Hahaha, how much did you have to drink yesterday? :P

No, with the new, simpler format it makes sense to immediately buy all the games you want to buy. So i'm not judging you. :P Also, thanks again for the gift! :)

I haven't played most of those, but I can say this:

- Duke Nukem Forever: it's pretty bad. Play it to see game development/design gone wrong or frozen in time, but I can pretty much guarantee you it won't be very fun. :) Still, it's ok...barely.

- Orcs Must Die 2: a great sequel to a great game. You'll love it.

Let me know how Satellite Reign is, it looks great.

- Coach

Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:41 am
Felix Rex

With Orcs Must Die 2 I got a 2-pack, so hopefully Shiny and I can play together. Duke Nukem I know is stupid. I just couldn't resist. I'll let you know how the rest go.

I've installed and started a game of Assassin's Creed: Liberation (I think). It's one where you play a black woman assassin around the time of the American revolution. So far I haven't gotten very far in it, so nothing much to say.

Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:49 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Orcs Must Die 2 is great in coop, so yeah, would be cool. I think in a way it's meant to be played by two people, as you get to combine the abilities of different characters for maximum efficiency.

There's so many assassin's creed games that I can't keep track anymore. :roll: FUn fact: they shot a large part of the movie here on Malta, and I've seen the set (from a distance) several times Malta is REALLY small. :P A friend of mine figured in it as a combat extra and can be seen in some of the trailers. Neat.

- Coach

Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:39 am
Stranger

Will he be killed in the movie? :D I know, i'm such a romantic :D

Be well or Get Help!!

Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:46 pm
Felix Rex

Yea, Shiny and I played for a few hours yesterday. It was a lot of fun with the two of us. I mainly do arrow walls, tar pits, and use the shotgun. She does ceiling arrow units, freeze/spike floor traps, and the wand thing that can charm them. It works well. I'll probably move this discussion to a different thread, though.

Back to the sales, so apparently I can't sell cards without either getting the mobile authenticator app, or waiting 15 days. With the temporary sales type cards, the 15 day waiting period basically means you can't sell them. And frankly, I'm not installing any apps on my phone because Valve thinks I should. So, they kinda screwed me on that. I'm just converting everything into gems instead. :/ Otherwise, I kind of miss the flash sales, but kind of don't. Meh.

Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:03 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 51  Next