It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Alan Wake 
Minor Diety

Yup. It's a bitch move, though. They tried to sell the PC canceling because the game "feels better played from the couch". Yea, because psychological survival horror works so much worse when you're playing on a PC. :roll: Please MS...if you're gonna lie, lie well.

- Coach

Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:01 am
Felix Rex

for obvious reasons, my give-a-shit level for this game just went to 0. Not that I cared all that much to begin with, but jeez... pansy bastards. We all know what the real gaming machine is. :roll:

Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:13 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

Post Re: Alan Wake
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/build ... wake/64230

Featurette. Looks awesome, i really hate MS and their console crap.

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:01 am
Minor Diety

Post Re: Alan Wake
*casts resurrect*

As I was stuck with my TV and controller for now anyway, I've been going some of the console-orginal games I yet had to play and Alan Wake and Alan Wake's American Nightmare were two of them. :)

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by them. The only thing that was actually a bit of a bummer in the original game was the combat...the basic idea is cool - you fight enemies with light - but as the game progresses the lack of variation in the enemies and combat mechanics becomes a little bit of a bore. Not that it was nearly enough to make me go "rraaaagggh", but still, kind of a missed chance. A 'skip combat' option would have been nice for this game, since it has plenty other stuff to offer.

For one the graphics still held up very well even a few years down the line, and the storytelling pretty much hits the sweet spot between fear, hope and mystery. The entire game has a very cinematic feel to it, and the story wraps very nicely into itself. It's not without holes, but eh, the atmosphere makes up for a lot. The locations and characters reinforce that.

I wasn't sure what to expect of the expansion (American Nightmare), but it pretty much improved the combat (more variation/pace) but left a little bit to desire on the narrative part. Actually, the story in itself wasn't the problem - but the revisiting of previous locations got a little boring (even if it made perfect sense in the frame of the story).

In closing, both very enjoyable games to play from the couch. Not too deep or complex, but with good acting, narration and atmosphere and satisfactory combat. :)

- Coach

Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2