It is currently Thu Oct 03, 2024 4:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Arrests Made in Theft of 'Half Life 2' 
King

Post Arrests Made in Theft of 'Half Life 2'
Busted!

Quote:
SEATTLE - Authorities have arrested suspects in a case involving the theft of software blueprints for the hotly awaited action computer game "Half-Life 2," the FBI (news - web sites) said Friday

FBI Agent Ray Lauer in Seattle confirmed the arrests but would not comment further because it is an ongoing case, investigated by the Northwest Cyber Crime Task Force, a group of federal, state and local investigators.

Game developer Valve Corp. said in a statement that arrests had been made in "several countries," and lauded video game fans for providing thousands of tips that helped lead to the arrests.

"Within a few days of the announcement of the break-in, the online gaming community had tracked down those involved," said Gabe Newell, Valve's chief executive.

Lauer wouldn't say when or where the arrests were made, how many people were involved or what charges the suspects might face.

The theft of the source code for "Half-Life 2" — a follow-up to the popular shooting game "Half-Life" — shocked the gaming industry last fall. The stolen code was circulated over the Internet, although security experts said it could not actually be used to play the game.

Valve, based in the Seattle suburb of Kirkland, quickly called on gamers to help track down the theft. Many fans feared the theft would delay the game's release or make it easier to create ways to cheat.

The game originally was to have been released late last year. Now, Valve is hoping to deliver it to publisher Vivendi Universal Games this summer, and it may be on store shelves by this fall.

It's not the only time source code has been let loose onto the Internet. Earlier this year, Microsoft Corp. said incomplete portions of the blueprints for Windows 2000 (news - web sites) and Windows NT4.0 had been illegally made available online. Experts feared the leak could open the dominant computer operating system to more security vulnerabilities or provide an advantage to competitors.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u ... code_theft

Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:11 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Felix Rex

1. Good they got caught. Crackers give hackers a bad name.

2. Shame on Valve for allowing their network to be compromised in the first place.

Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:12 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Heh, this rocks. Of course, Valve will never recover all the losses they made with this, but still. On the bright side: since "all" they had to do after it happened was re-work the code completely, obviously the art/storyline didn't need changing so: the artists got an unexpected extra period to make things even better, heh. I can't imagine valve saying "k, now we'll stop working with the artists and just keep on going with the programmers until we're done". :roll:

- Coach

Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:57 pm
Minor Diety

What? the Half Life franchise has a storyline?

Sat Jun 12, 2004 2:23 am
Emperor

Damn bastards! Now I know of what use are !@#$%!$ in real reality. :rifle:

Sat Jun 12, 2004 3:23 am
Profile WWW
Marquis

What? the Half Life franchise has a storyline?

big time, Half-Life 2 is the end of the trilogy, and then Half Life 3 will be set inbetween 1 and 2.
Cause remember at the end of the first 1 you are pretty much forced into working for Gman's employers

Sat Jun 12, 2004 7:03 am
Minor Diety

Heh working for Gman, that would be horror...

Sat Jun 12, 2004 7:41 am
Minor Diety

I got stuck right at the friggin end of half life. 2 hit points left and one big mutha fucka to kill. Of course now I've formatted i lost the save, so if i ever get round to playing it again, I'll just find a level skip or something to get to the level I was on.

Rock Band [35%]
http://www.cafepress.com/SmeepProducts

Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:37 am
Profile WWW
Emperor

Lol, 2hp? Sad that you don't have that save. I'd like to try to finish it. :) Anyway, as I know, you can pass whole game without lossing any hp.

Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:28 am
Profile WWW
Marquis

you gotta be pretty good to not get shot even once...

but yeah, for getting around, you can always find a way which doesn't hurt

Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:26 am
Minor Diety

Yeah I was looking. but like i said, i lost the save. And I do save, that's why i got stuck that way, i had to make a suicidal run for the exit on the level before, but i couldn't do it, so i had to fight the enemies off (from 47hp) and after that I got buggered down to 2 hit points because i stupidly didn't keep and older save.

Rock Band [35%]
http://www.cafepress.com/SmeepProducts

Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:18 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]