Shaft others for money?
Money? I'd do it for free! 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Sure, I'm greedy. 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
No way. 71%  71%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 7

Are your values for sale? 
Duke

Post Are your values for sale?
I started doing some contract programming for a guy to set up websites that lure you in with a prize, and then sell your contact info (carefully worded user agreement of course), and it got me to wondering about how others look at the subject.

I have no moral issues with shafting someone for personal gain, so this is nothing to me. But would you all do a dis-service to others for profit?

Sun Dec 21, 2003 10:40 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Emperor

Hmm, ... basicaly: "No way". But, still depends
on that who is target. You lure victims with
price so, I guess they are not richest peoples
in the country. With extr. wealth peoples would
be other story for me.

But, thx for hint: Ever read user agreement.

Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:57 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Since I'd not be the person who's doing the actual profiteering, i wouldn't have any problems with it. If ppl are stupid enough to believe in a fairy world where money falls in their lap they're gonna get ripped off in more than one way, so this would just be the beginning. :)

I once bought a bunch of degraded pokemon cards; and sold them to kids at a rather big profit. :D I think that shows how "moral" i think. :roll:

- Coach

Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:01 am
Minor Diety

And it`s as rinox says: people don`t go arround throwing all kinds of prizes and free stuff just because you`re a nice guy they absolutely don`t know. So if people register and stuff it`s their decision.

~King of Thieves~

Mon Dec 22, 2003 8:46 am
Minor Diety

Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:03 pm
Felix Rex

I'm against shafting people without their knowledge. I have a strongly developed sense of ethics.. I'm tired of the corporate world fucking me over.. it would be hypocritical of me to have no problem fucking others over.

On the other hand, if you clearly state you're fucking someone, and their greed gets the better of them, fuck em. They've got it coming.

Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:33 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Wtf, Satis more ethical than me, must have shifted into some kind of freaky alternate dimension :roll:

But seriously, there's a difference between getting fucked by the corporate world and this eh...the former is not cos you're a moron, but just cos they want to sack you anyhow. While in Pig's thing ppl have a free choice. Unlike when getting sacked. :/

How's your new job working out btw? nice ppl, or biatches?

- Coach

Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:50 pm
Felix Rex

nice people so far, thanks for asking. I think I got really lucky.

And yea, Pig's case is kinda special. People are morons if they think they can get shit for free, especially on the internet. It's not one of those "Shoot the dildo and win a car" places, is it? heh.

Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:53 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Cool about work. :) You mean that shoot the dildo game was a scam then? Dammit! :o

- Coach

Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:56 pm
Count

If people are dumb enough to fall for the shit, then they deserve it. Fuck call it a stupid tax.

Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:03 pm
Duke

ehh... no shoot the dildo and win. Opt in sweepstakes, only they get more than a sweepstakes.

Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:03 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Felix Rex

oh well, they're still idiots. Of course you're going to sell their personal info. That's a gimme on the internet today.

What pisses me off is if I pay a company something (dunno, a utility company, or internet, or something) and they collect my money for whatever service they're selling... and then they sell my info on top of that. Fuck them. I'll pay an extra $1/year to keep them from selling my info. In fact, I think they should pay ME if they're selling my info. The fact they don't disclose that they sell your shit is even worse.

Now, I can't mention any names, but I did tech support for a type of tax software (one of the two big ones, use your imagination). We got all kinds of personal info from these customers, especially if they were going to e-file. In fact, I had the capability to look up someone's name, phone number, address, credit card number, expiration date, and spouse (if there was one)... as well as how much money they owe/get back on their state and federal taxes. That's enough to steal an identity...but anyway... sometimes they'd ask us if we sold their personal info.

We were told, flat out, to say "No, we do not sell your information."

The reality was, we did. Only reason I found out that we did was because I was in management and knew people.

If that's not fucking wrong, I don't know what is.

Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:40 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Hehe...djeezes, this is gonna make me even more paranoid. :/

- Coach

Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:48 pm
Minor Diety

continueing on this idea...how "moral" would it to develop and sell this kind of software? I mean, it is more than obviously meant to invade ppl's personal privacy and thus kinda illegal (i can't think of a legal apllication of this piece of software). :/

http://www.e-spy-software.com/real-time ... me_spy.htm

It's a remote key logger, more or less. I'm not against it, cos i still think a sensible person does not click attachments just like that if they're not from a friend. And if they're from a friend and keyloggers that friend asks for a serious bashing. :)

- Coach

Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:37 pm
Felix Rex

There are semi-legitimate uses for stuff like that. Workplace, for instance. Of course, there are better ways to watch what your employees do, but maybe if you need evidence. :/

I wouldn't do it for profit. Assuming I could code, I might do it to see if I could, but I wouldn't sell it. I hate invasion of privacy.

Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:34 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next