It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Merry christmas all! 
Felix Rex

I'm just not going to comment anymore, though this quote had me laughing...

"I don't usually come in the park anymore..."

anyway...I'll let it lie.

Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:09 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

bastard, made me laugh off my chair with that one :D That was a Dutchism...in Dutch the verb "to come" ("komen") is used in that context...and also in the sexual one.

- Coach

Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:11 pm
Seigneurial Lord

All hail to the Creature Profile Writer!

Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:01 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Bit late but merry christmas to all of you too. Gf has been sick for several days .. great x-mas that was.

~King of Thieves~

Fri Dec 26, 2003 4:27 am
Emperor

Merry Christmas and Happy New 2004th Year, I say.

Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:53 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

haven't been too active on the forum for a while now, and i'll tell you why: while everyone is getting drunk unlimitedly i am getting drunk on a limited lvl, both because of financial reasons and time-reasons. :/ Which then combine in a job i took from some richgirl (both her parents are notaries), namely translating a 50-page French text for her into Dutch. She's studying to become a civil engineer btw. So i was like "hey, French, rich parents= katching!, sure, keep it coming!", but then it turned out that the text is positively CRAWLING with technical terms....:/ It's about a medieval French basilique, and describes every friggin build detail, from the roof over the ornaments on the pillars to the floor patters and the materials used for the walls etc. etc. and more of this boring shit. :(

Now, they first went to a professional translator with it, and he apparantly was monstrously expensive (they count by the word), so they looked for someone else. As i will obviously be paid less than the translator would have been, i hope he was extraordinarily expensive. :D There's a good chance he was tho, as i don't think that parents who are both notaries with their own businesses will be easily repelled by most prices. So; deductively i say= i will be a relatively rich man by the end of the holidays, mwuahahahaha! :twisted: Or something.

P.S. this is the church i'm translating the text on: http://www.art-roman.net/conques/conques.htm it's a nice enough building apparently, but i have a developped permanent repulsion by now.

- Coach

Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:31 pm
Minor Diety

From my personal experience I can say that people studying civil engineering are above all else interested in concrete, and chuches are best left for people studying architecture.

With difficult mechanical engineering texts I use this online translator (http://www.systranet.com/systran/net), wich has a dictionary for mechanical engineering, maybe some of the technical terms found in your text can be translated with it.
You have to sign up and then you get an e-mail from them with commercials about their products about every month, but you can easily set a filter to transfer their mail to your junk folder immedeately, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Wed Dec 31, 2003 4:36 am
Minor Diety

Tnx for the link man, but i don't think i'll need it, have 2 major N-F and F-N dictionaries as well as a F-N dictionary specifically for architectural terms, so i think i'm set up pretty well. :) The most difficult part is to visualize stuff, but i got the website(s) with pics and comments in French to help me on that. :)

I don't think the student i'm doing this for likes this stuff, but she has to learn it anyways hehe. Besides, medieval churches are wayz0r cooler than concrete stuff. Not to mention sturdier. These things are built to last into eternity, they're the pwnz0r! medieval churches > concrete. :) Btw, are there a lot of really big cathedrals and such in Holland? I'm just wondering with the protestant humbleness- thing. Over here the building motto was bigger, better, higher and more expensive. :) Gotta love catholicism.

Man, look at these rox0rs demon sculptures from the church:

Drunkard is supended at his feet and is forced to throw up his booze

Man burned alive by a demon with a hare's head. (lmao)

One of the damned is being skinned alive, after which a demon devours his skin

A demon holding a harp attached to the tongue of a damned.

How cool is that shit huh? :D

- Coach

Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:44 pm
Minor Diety

Nice sculptures, I prefer medieval kathedrals to concrete as well, but luckily I'm no civil engineer. :)
And we do have kathedrals from the time before the "beeldenstorm" here (like the DOM in Utrecht), we just destroyed or stole everything of value in them when we "converted' them. :D

Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:49 pm
Minor Diety

Hehehehe...So, basically, the buildings are still there but every almost all the fancy shit has been trashed or removed, ah well, pity. That's what you get with protestantism! ;) :P Instead of doing things the good old, corrupt, catholic way. Wanna get into heaven? Pay the church a lot of cash and you're good. Want to be crowned emperor by the pope, but he refuses? Create your own pope and have him crown you. History is always stranger than fiction, not to mention funnier. :)

- Coach

Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:57 pm
King

I think drugs have done some really good things. If you don't believe me, go home tonight, take all your cassettes, CDs, etc and burn them. Because those artists that have made that music were real fucking high- Bill Hicks

Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:32 pm
Minor Diety

Im not too big on British architecture, ive only seen a few cathedrals and churches. I dont really notice them too much, but i do appreciate the art on them.

Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:20 am
King

Just that some of the cathedrals have been around, some might have survived the reformation. Not too big on that stuff so just guessing

I think drugs have done some really good things. If you don't believe me, go home tonight, take all your cassettes, CDs, etc and burn them. Because those artists that have made that music were real fucking high- Bill Hicks

Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2