It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 1:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
Smoking 
Minor Diety

Post Smoking
not done a poll on here before, so if it's crappy I'm sorry. But the long and short of this is, I want an answer for, or against. No sitting on the fence. Look at the facts, and pick. And I mean all together, not in small busines's and stuff.

Rock Band [35%]
http://www.cafepress.com/SmeepProducts

Last edited by Mole on Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Sep 29, 2003 6:01 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Smoking should not be banned. If smoking were banned the government would loose a lot of tax income. That has to be compensated by raising all taxes.

Mon Sep 29, 2003 6:25 am
Minor Diety

Smoking is a primitive habit. It does you no good. It only does you bad. Therefore should be banned.

I should expect this to be very obvious. If however you would like to oppose me on this, please feel free to say what you think. Just keep in mind, i will kick your ass.

Mon Sep 29, 2003 10:01 am
Felix Rex

*cough* Drinking alcohol is a primitive habit. It should be banned.

Having sex is a primitive habit. There are alternatives. It should be banned.

The family unit is a primitive habit. It should be banned. (go commune!)

Just because something is 'a primitive habit' doesn't mean it should be banned. Just because something is 'bad' for you, it shouldn't be banned (eg, drinking, playing sports, skydiving, bungee jumping, off-roading, exercising...etc etc etc). Why ban it? What good would it do? Isn't it a person's right to do to themselves what they want?

Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:07 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Satis, im saying if something is BOTH a primitive habit and bad for you, it should be banned. I dont think sex is bad for you, drinking yes it is, but we are not ready to ban that yet I didnt say at all ban EVERYTHING bad and Primitive.

Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:33 am
Felix Rex

but why pick on smoking? There are studies that sex is bad for you. Sex may encourage rape. Sex is bad for the colon. Sex can cause heart attacks (happens all the time). Etc etc. Of course I don't want to ban sex, but it is primitive, it is 'dangerous', and there are alternatives for procreation.

Anyway, my point being that the only real reason to ban smoking is a political or social more. It doesn't cause violence, but if it were banned it may. Do you honestly think banning cigarettes will make them go away? No, it'll just encourage an underground cigarette trade akin to the current drug trade, or the alcohol trade during american prohibition. Making it illegal doesn't work. In fact, it makes it a thrill of sorts, and making it illicit may actually encourage more people to smoke.

Mon Sep 29, 2003 12:08 pm
Profile WWW
Duke

For the record, sex is only bad for my wife's colon...

Mon Sep 29, 2003 12:18 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Felix Rex

:/ What, you put your elbow down there or something? I guess leaning on the colon during sex would be bad. :P

Mon Sep 29, 2003 12:20 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

but why pick on smoking?

Because i think it is todays most stupid habit.

Mon Sep 29, 2003 12:48 pm
Marquis

but why pick on smoking? There are studies that sex is bad for you. Sex may encourage rape. Sex is bad for the colon. Sex can cause heart attacks (happens all the time). Etc etc. Of course I don't want to ban sex, but it is primitive, it is 'dangerous', and there are alternatives for procreation

Satis you totally forgot STD's man, they are like the ultimate reason why sex can be bad for you :roll:

And yeah i know we have ways of preventing them etc. but not everyone is able to have access to these items, or just doesn't want to, otherwise there would be no AIDS problem in the world :roll:

Mon Sep 29, 2003 2:05 pm
Felix Rex

Smoking the most stupid habit? I disagree. I think drinking is much worse.

When's the last time I hurt anyone with my smoking? I don't smoke in my house, I only smoke in the back yard. I don't smoke in restaurants except ones that allow smoking. There are plenty that don't, so the freaks with the lung fetish can go elsewhere.

Besides, current laws require this crazy circulation system in restaurants that want to allow smoking. IE, no haze of smoke, no cloud floating around. It doesn't even smell like smoke anymore. Well, at least to me, I don't know if nonsmokers can still smell it.

But c'mon, a few particles of cigarette smoke are not going to cause lung cancer or emphysema. Sitting for 8 hours straight in a room full of smoke, sure. But not an hour where smoke is one particle in a trillion.

I bet sitting in rush hour traffic is worse for your lungs than spending an hour every night in a restaurant. (clubs are a bit different)

Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:03 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

satis, i know this should be in the other topic. But humans have been described as a cancer before. we are but one spec in the universe. and we already are a cancer.

It only takes one molecule to kill some one.

Rock Band [35%]

Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:24 pm
Profile WWW
Marquis

eh???? ok whatever....been watching too much of the Matrix have you Mole? although agent Smith tells us we are a virus rather than specificlly a cancer :roll:

And moley, you name me a chemical which takes only one molecule to kill a person, cause if such a poison exists i want me some of that :) about a litre should suit my needs

Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:33 pm
Minor Diety

you know what I mean. the amount is insignificant. it's just that, that drop of smoke, could infect a cell. that cell will multiply, and cancer will spread.

Rock Band [35%]

Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:36 pm
Profile WWW
Marquis

drop of smoke?? it comes in liquid form now?......

ok it may only take a tiny amount of carcinogenic particles to actualy cause the cancer, but it's very unlikely that it'll be the few particles you breathe in from passive smoking while eating a meal in a resturant.
Yes if you stayed there a lot the obviously the risk is increased etc etc.

The other reason why it's banned of course is that some people just can't stand the smell or the taste of the smoke in the air, and to be honest, opinions have changed and it's not polite to smoke in a resturant etc. so i can see why people would want no smoking resturants. Why you can't allow some one to smoke in their own house, or outside where it makes so little difference to you, i'm not entirely sure.... :roll:

It's their life, let them do what they want. It's not as if there gonna commit violent crimes to get the money for cigs like they would with cocaine or anything, so does it really affect you that much it needs to be banned everywhere?

Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 201 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next