It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Drawing tablets 
Minor Diety

Post Drawing tablets
I spent hours every day as a kid drawing and painting but stopped through most of my adult life. I want to get back into it and am finally thinking of taking the plunge into digital. It will never feel the same as pen and paper but it's gonna be easier in the long run. Does anyone have any experience with it at all?

I've been doing some research and definitely want a drawing tablet rather than a graphics tablet; one that I can use with or without the pc and just draw and see on the screen, not looking over at a monitor. It can get a bit confusing on sites to see which ones are pc-independant or not as they often merge all the reviews for different models. So does anyone have ideas on a good beginners one? I'm looking at probably the £400 budget I guess and will keep an eye on Amazon Prime day! Wacom One seems to be one that keeps cropping up as a decent one.

Sat May 22, 2021 10:38 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

Post Re: Drawing tablets
Sorry, completely incompetent on this matter.

Be well or Get Help!!

Sat May 22, 2021 11:40 am
Minor Diety

Peltz wrote:
Sorry, completely incompetent on this matter.

Same.

~King of Thieves~

Sun May 23, 2021 8:03 am
Minor Diety

No worries, thanks anyway!

Sun May 23, 2021 8:15 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Never gotten one with a built in screen, sorry. I do own both a Bamboo and a Wacom Intuous medium tablet, both many years old.

Wacom Intuous

Bamboo

They're both great... I got the Intuous first, then picked up the bamboo for portability. I don't use either regularly, but (again), they're pretty awesome. The learning curve is minimal from my experience... at first it's weird to look at a screen and draw on a tablet offscreen, but you get used to it.

This is not what you were asking for, so I apologize, but it's the closest I could get. :D I wouldn't mind getting a real tablet with a screen to draw on, but I haven't done so as yet. I honestly don't use these very often, so it's hard to justify the investment.

Tue May 25, 2021 9:37 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Yeah I've heard it's not so tough to learn to look at the screen (I suppose 'real' artists kind of do this as they're told to look at the subject most of the time and rarely at the canvas) but I'd like one I can see on the tablet simply so I can draw in bed, on the balcony or take it to France with me. Plus we try to avoid moving wires around or adding them in as much as possible or the degus will figure out a way to get to them and eat them. They're both by the same company aren't they? I seem to remember seeing Bamboo is Wacom's more portable range. I've mainly seen Wacom or something beginning with a H cropping up as the two main ones so could be inclined to go Wacom if you've liked both of yours. Thanks Satis :)

Wed May 26, 2021 12:35 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Yea, both of the ones I posted are by Wacom... one's just professional vs. consumer. These are really old though... I have no idea what the current lineup looks like. I do understand the desire to not have dangling wires, or needing to have a PC. I'm afraid I have no personal experience to draw on for that.

Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:15 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I couldn't find an actual standalone one to save my life so I've gone for this one. Should've been £349, was £262 in the Prime sale so it's not too expensive if I don't end up getting on with it. Should arrive Wednesday :mrgreen:

Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:47 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Oh, pretty cool. Please let me know what you think of it.

Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:45 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Will do! When I get it working, I got my DisplayPort > HDMI adapter through today but haven't had a chance to mess with it so I'll probably try it out tomorrow. Fingers crossed for me please.

Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:26 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

It works! Well as a second screen at least. Now I need to download some drawing software to try it out properly. Thanks for the help Peltz!

Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:07 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I've been messing about for a couple of hours tonight. It's rubbish as I haven't done any serious drawing in years! The majority of my art is usually sketches in pencil though I've done watercolours, charcoal and pastels (oil and chalk) in the past. Plus I've never ever done graphics on a computer so when it comes to the software I'm a total novice. So there's some just general messing around with preset tools and some attempts at sketching. I need to go through some tutorials to figure everything out and just get back into the habit. I used to draw every day as a kid but in the last 10 years I've probably drawn 3 things. Quite pleased of the very quick sketch I did of my degu whilst he was sitting on his shelf though.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:36 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

That's still 1 million times better than anything i'd draw. Nice.

~King of Thieves~

Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:53 am
Minor Diety

Thanks J!

Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:12 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Very cool. Keep it up Pevil.

Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:21 pm
Profile WWW