It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
TV series 
Felix Rex

Post Re: TV series
Yup, not a fan of any sitcoms, Friends included. If it's got a laugh track, I'm not interested. At least, that's a good rule of thumb. There are plenty of sitcoms without laugh tracks I won't watch either. I just don't find comedies particularly funny most of the time. Most of them devolve into people being stupid, which I found more annoying than amusing. :roll: Shiny, however, will watch damned near anything. :P

We started watching Lovecraft Country. If you haven't heard of it, it follows some black folks in the late 50s as they discover magic and Lovecraftian horrors and whatnot. The story is not particularly cohesive, but we find it interested. It focuses as much on how monstrous white people are in that era as it does on actual monsters, so if that puts you off, you may wish to avoid. Still, pretty decent show so far.

Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:05 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

True, laugh tracks are incredibly annoying. Something that was mostly American years ago but seems to be a staple no matter where it's made now. Bloody awful. I don't mind devolving into silliness in comedy sometimes. What I can't stand is "reality" TV because if people are that dumb then they need to be burned alive and if they're not then it's not reality is it?

Just picked up Disenchantment season 3 on Netflix, enjoyed the first 2.

Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:51 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Ah yes, Disenchantment is great. It's a medieval Futurama as far as I'm concerned. :)

Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:10 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Yep. Mostly the same animators/writers/actors!

Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:16 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Probably late to the party since it appeared on Netflix with 5 seasons available, but we're enjoying Superstore at the moment. Good generic comedy anyway and particularly if you've worked in retail.

Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:48 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Lovecraft country was pretty good, though not particularly focused. Better than many other things I've watched, so may be worth your time if you're interested.

Watched the first episode of season 1 of Snowpiercer. Decent so far... it's currently in season 2, so we'll see how things progress.

Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:38 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

How does Snowpiercer compare to the film? I absolutely loved that so if it feels very much like it I'll give the series a go.

Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:26 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

At this point we watched the first 3 episodes. It's good...I would recommend it. Lots of similarities to the movie, but it's been awhile since I watched the movie, so I'm not sure how to compare them.

Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:46 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Just discovered 'Kim's Convenience' on Netflix yesterday. I had the whole first season on in the background whilst I was working so wasn't paying it full attention but it was growing on me throughout the day. So much so that I've stopped watching it so Niall and I can watch it together now. 5 seasons, all are available on Netflix.

It's about a Korean-Canadian family who run a corner shop. I'm not going to say it's the best show ever but it's pleasant. Amusing without being over the top silly and has some heart warming moments too.

Loving the final season of Brooklyn 99 too. Sad that there are only 2 more episodes but I'd rather it ends whilst it's still good than devolve into rubbish.

Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:39 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Shiny and I have been watching Lucifer on Netflix recently. It's about the devil, who helps on police cases. :roll: It's ok... not amazing, not bad.

We've been watching Rick and Morty, Star Trek: Lower Decks, and Marvel's What If as well. Funny that we find adult cartoons more interesting than most live action TV shows. Nothing really exciting otherwise.

Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:08 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

I recently binged Cowboy Bebop, since Netflix's live-action reboot is coming out this Friday. The original is an anime from 1998, about some bounty hunters (Cowboys) onboard a ship called the BeBop. It started off ok, but after about 10-15 episodes it started to really grow on me. At the end of the 26 episode first (and only) season I really liked it. I understand its popularity. I also watched the movie that came out a few years later. Shiny's watching the series now and is about at the "starting to grow on her" phase as well.

This Friday is also the debut of the Wheel of Time series on Amazon Prime. Shiny and I both read the entire book series. We're cautiously optimistic.

Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:53 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Wait there's a Wheel of Time series? :o I only read the first book but still.

I've been very slowly working my way through Star Trek: The Next Generation over the past year or two...didn't really watch too much else. I'm in season 6 now so almost at the end. It's still surprisingly good! Sure some episodes are junk but there's a few pearls too, where Stewart can actually show off his acting pedigree. Considering diving into Deep Space 9 after this.

Heads up, Witcher season 2 starts December 17th!

- Coach

Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:40 pm
Stranger

I liked deep space nine.

Be well or Get Help!!

Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:31 am
Minor Diety

I'm scouring my "acquisition" site for season 2 of "The Great" that started on Friday. First series lived up to its name so hoping the second does too.

Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:12 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

We watched the first three episodes of Wheel of Time... not amazingly great, but not terrible either. Still cautiously optimistic. I'm hoping the quality improves... it's not terrible, but some of the CG isn't so great. We'll see. It's interesting to finally hear someone pronounce Nynaeve. There was a sad lack of braid tugging.

Cowboy Bebop (the live action show) has started off very strong. I think we've watched the first 3 or 4 episodes at this point. Some parts are practically verbatim copies of the anime, while others are quite different but obviously take inspiration. Regardless, so far at least I'm quite happy with it.

I'm definitely excited about the Witcher coming back. Just yesterday I watched the "nightmare of the wolf" anime, which follows Vesemir. Pretty good.

I'm afraid I'm not a Star Trek fan, with the exception of Lower Decks. My favorite next generation episodes were definitely the one with the worms burrowing into people's heads and trying to take over Star Fleet, but those are particularly abnormal episodes.

Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:05 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next