It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 9:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
TV series 
Felix Rex

Post Re: TV series
Yea, I get it. The early 90s was a very different time, especially for broadcast television. I'm so glad the streaming wars are taking place. It's generally improved things, I think.

So yea, still watching Twin Peaks. There are still some David Lynch things that make me want to choke David Lync (Exhibit one: woman honking a horn non-stop for 5 actual minutes. Exhibit two: Watching a guy sweeping the floor of a bar for about 5 minutes with nothing else going on) but it's mostly good. I'm glad they've finally answered what the blue rose means.... sorta. Ah well, just continuing onward.

I also recently finished watching Alice in Borderland, which is a Japanese tv show about people getting warped to an alternate Tokyo where they have to compete in games and hope to not die. Season 2 was the end of the show and kind of explained what the hell was going on... sorta. At least it wasn't completely nebulous.

Other than that, I binge watched one punch man, which is great if you like absurd anime. I had watched season 1 a long time ago, then came back and rewatched season 1 and then watched season 2.

And finally, I rewatched season 1 of Attack on Titan. I had watched season 1 and part of season 2 years ago, but now that it's completed I'm watching/rewatching the whole thing (there are 4 seasons total I believe). It's not perfect and has some annoying bits, but mostly it's pretty good (and brutal).

Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:40 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Satis wrote:
So yea, still watching Twin Peaks. There are still some David Lynch things that make me want to choke David Lync (Exhibit one: woman honking a horn non-stop for 5 actual minutes. Exhibit two: Watching a guy sweeping the floor of a bar for about 5 minutes with nothing else going on) but it's mostly good. I'm glad they've finally answered what the blue rose means.... sorta. Ah well, just continuing onward.

Hahaha yeah, I agree. Although I will give him kudos for taking risks on some of these extended scenes and shots. In The Return there are a few scenes in which you're just looking at the road ahead in the headlights while driving and it's strangely hypnotizing. But maybe you also need to be in a certain mood for it.

I finished Better Call Saul, which was a great show even if I wasn't a huge fan of the ending. Don't really have a show to watch right now so might give Alice in Borderland a try...might be fun for my gf (she's half Japanese).

- Coach

Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:35 pm
Minor Diety

So I watched Alice in Borderland but funnily enough my gf couldn't watch it because of the violence and gore :P So despite her being the half Japanese one I watched it by myself as I thought it was pretty good.

That's not to say it's an amazing show or anything, there are so many bizarre plot holes and insane decisions made by the characters/players, so it's best to suspend your disbelief and just enjoy the ride. And that ride was still pretty good as a sort of scifi survival series!

We did watch a few of the older Mission Impossible movies together when she was here and they are still so fucking good. Especially Rogue Nation and Fallout. Love or hate him, Cruise is one hell of an action movie star.

- Coach

Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:55 pm
Felix Rex

I actually really like Tom Cruise as an actor. His role in Tropic Thunder is absolutely epic. And of course his ability to do his own stunts is phenomenal.

So... I'm still watching Twin Peaks. :roll: I think I'm one or two episodes from the end. I was REALLY afraid it was going to leave everything unresolved, but that doesn't seem to be the case. But damn it sure took a long time to get to the point.

Completed watching Attack on Titan, all except the last two episodes I think. That show is... weird.

Still watching The Mandalorian as episodes come out. It's awesome. Am definitely looking forward to all the new Star Wars stuff that's coming out in the next few weeks.

Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:20 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Did you finish Twin Peaks: The Return yet? I'm curious to hear your reaction to the ending. :lol:

Don't get me wrong I think Tom Cruise is an amazing actor too, he's just a bit....kooky in his personal life. :roll:

I've been watching season 1 of Altered Carbon and it's been really cool so far! Love it.

- Coach

Mon May 01, 2023 3:57 pm
Felix Rex

Oh yea man, Altered Carbon is great. Season 2 is really good as well. I hope they keep going with it.

So I did finally finish Twin Peaks, and... err. wtf. I guess that's most people's reaction. I found a Twin Peaks explainer video that's supposed to unravel it all. It's a mere 4 1/2 hours long. :roll:

Wed May 03, 2023 9:05 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Hahaha wtf indeed.

My friend and I still use the phrase "Wait...what year is this?" when we want to express extreme confusion to each other in a joking way.

But that video you linked actually does go a long way exploring the themes and intentions of the last season, yeah. I think I watched the whole thing a while ago during work...when I wasn't very busy yet. :roll: Did you watch it?

I've watched a Belgian Netflix show called Rough Diamonds, which is a sort of gangster family drama set in the Antwerp Jewish Orthodox diamond quarter and was quite enjoyable. But I'm biased obviously, being from there. :P They also had the actors learn Yiddish and the characters speak a mish mash of Yiddish, Dutch, English and French as they would do in real life. Pretty cool little detail but probably lost on people who don't understand the languages (Dutch and Yiddish sound similar). Looks like the trailer with the dubbed voices doesn't do any of it either. :(

- Coach

Fri May 12, 2023 8:58 am
Stranger

On netflix, there is a mini series called "The Night Agent." Fairly decent spy stuff. I did skip over some of the villain story parts because it is quite obvious from the get-go they ain't gonna make it so it felt like filler content. Aside from the slightly stupid name I think it was well paced over all. Not sure if it gets season 2 because it wraps the story in 10 episodes quite conclusively.

Be well or Get Help!!

Fri May 12, 2023 4:38 pm
Felix Rex

@Ox, I watched about half of that video an got a bit bored. I may finish it up at some point.

Currently we're watching Sweet Tooth on Amazon. It's.. .ok. Sometimes it almost gets good, and at other times it's downright cringey. We're on the second season... hopefully we'll wrap it up and move on. It's about a post-apocalyptic world where children are being born with animal features and a virus has killed and is killing everyone.

We're also watching a bit of Silo, which is a relatively new show on Apple+. We've watched the first 2 episodes. It's about a society living in an underground bunker. Nobody knows what happened to drive them underground and it's so far been a bit of a mystery of people trying to unravel the truth of what's going on. So far it's pretty good.

I'm personally watching Monster, an anime about a kid that's like evil incarnate or something. :demon:

Thu May 18, 2023 7:47 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Been a while since I posted here I guess. Some quick updates

- Finished Sweet Tooth. It was... ok. That's about all I can really say. Not great, not horrible.
- Finished Silo. I'm pretty excited to see where this goes in coming season(s), assuming it doesn't get cancelled. I'd recommend watchin git.
- Finished the anime Monster. Also pretty good, but a bit nuts and unfocused at times.

Also finished watching the latest season of the Witcher. It had some serious issues with pacing and with characters and stuff. I've played the games and am currently reading the last of the current books, but I had trouble following who was who and what was going on. If it was screwing me up, I can't imagine how it would be for people not familiar with the source material. I don't remember that in the previous seasons. Still, parts of the season were really good, and in some cases lifted straight out of the books. So overall still good. I don't blame Henry Cavill for these issues. I'd blame the writers and directors.

We're currently watching a show on Amazon Prime called upload. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7826376/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0_tt_8_nm_0_q_upload It's a bit of a dark comedy set in a future where people can have their consciousness uploaded into computers after they die. We watched the first season and are about to start on season 2. It's surprisingly good, and I love all the tongue-in-cheek "the future is horrible" stuff they toss in. Like Oscar-Meyer-Intel cloning humans is hilarious to me.

We'll be watching Foundation season 2 at some point, and Ahsoka is coming out on August 23rd.

Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:32 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

We finished season 2 of Upload (yea, binged it a bit) and the quality is definitely dropping. Ah well. On a positive note, Foundation season 2 is getting some pretty great reviews, so I'm looking forward to watching/binging that next. :mrgreen:

Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:27 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Agreed on the last season of the witcher. I read a lot of reviews beforehand saying it was terrible and a complete waste of time, but that absolutely wasn't true. Probably the old internet hyperbole (partially fueled by the culture war nonsense it seems, after Cavill's falling out with the showrunners).

Yes, it had some issues with pacing, and it wasn't amazing or anything, but it was still pretty good and definitely felt like it was taking the major story beats from the lore. Some people might feel like Geralt didn't really do much this season despite being the titular character, but that is actually more or less the case in the books too around this time. But it's clear the show is trying to prop up or expand some characters for woke points...Yennefer being the obvious one, but it's even clearer in minor characters like Jaskier/Dandelion who not only has a much bigger role but now also is the token gay character. I don't remember his gay dalliance with Radovid at all from the books, but I could have forgotten. I also disliked the way Dijkstra has been reduced to a bit player, overshadowed by Philippa. Dijkstra is an extremely competent and dangerous man in the books, not the submissive weirdo he is portrayed as in the show.

Anyway, I'm curious for the
whole Ciri/Rats/Falka storyline next season, which is one of the more graphic and gruesome episodes in the books. Especially the way it ends. :wink: Wonder how Netflix will choose to portray that...

- Coach

Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:09 am
Felix Rex

Agreed, i'm very curious how they handle next season's Ciri story, because yea, it goes pretty bonkers.

On a related note, they really dialed down the tits in this season. :lol: Not that everything needs boobs or anything, but they're enjoyable. :roll:

Ok, so this seems silly, but a small discussion based on the books. Silly because the books have been out a pretty long time, so adding spoiler tags may not be warranted.
In the books, Yennefer gets smooshed into an amulet or something during the events on Thanedd, and is basically missing for a really long time. Geralt goes a bit off the rails and does a bunch of dumb stuff, which is more or less accurately reflected in the show. Yes, you're correct that Dandelion and Radovid never had any daliance... the books do touch on the assassination of Vizimir and Radovid's assension, but I don't know if Radovid ever had any direct dealings with Geralt, Dandelion, or any of the other first-order characters. Also agreed on Djikstra. Plus in this he's just an older guy, whereas I thought he was immensely overweight, though that may have just been the games.

Woof, that's a big spoiler block.

On topic but off the Witcher, Peripheral was cancelled, which is really too bad. The first season was pretty good... some of the concepts, technology, etc are so bizarre that I feel like it's much more of a realistic future than what we usually are presented. What would someone from the 19th century think of our tech? They'd probably be completely baffled. Well, it doesn't matter, it's cancelled. I'd still recommend the first season if you're curious, but beware that it doesn't wrap up in a completely satisfying way. It's not a total cliffhanger either, though, so I guess there's that.

Started Foundation season 2. It's pretty decent so far, with only a little bit of eye-rolling.

Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:24 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

Finished Lupin on netflix. It's a french series about a dude getting revenge on the people who framed/killed his father. It's got some spy elements but mostly Oceans11 vibes. The story is sometimes rushed and results happen way too fast. But over all its light watching, 10 episodes, just perfect when you need cool off from some other tv show.

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:44 am
Minor Diety

Satis wrote:
Agreed, i'm very curious how they handle next season's Ciri story, because yea, it goes pretty bonkers.

On a related note, they really dialed down the tits in this season. :lol: Not that everything needs boobs or anything, but they're enjoyable. :roll:

Ah yeah, now you mention it...it's probably related to Cavill's departure. I don't mean he left because there were less tits, to be clear. :lol: Just the overall push from the showrunners to make the female characters more prominent and more active participants in the main storyine, at the expense of Geralt. For some people that apparently also means they should show less nudity, which I think is a prudish and naive take on humanity but clearly I'm old and out of touch... :mrgreen:

I'd forgotten about Yennefer's whereabouts around the time of Thanedd, but I can also understand why they didn't follow the book there...for contractual and practical reasons it would be a bit weird to have her disappear completely from the series for a season or so, and to bring her back again after. Still, if they hadn't pushed so hard to make her character so prominent in the series they might have gotten away with it. Her depiction in the games is a lot more accurate - she is Geralt's true love, but she comes and goes in his life. She has her own schemes that are often only tangentially related to Ciri's storyline in the books, but in the series she's all over it. Eh.

I've been watching One Piece lately on Netflix and it's really, really good. I don't even like manga (nor do I know the source material) but the show really does a great job marrying that manga silliness/tone/style with a modern Western TV series. I'm about 6 episodes in and I've loved every bit of it so far. At first some characters were a bit weird, and I wondered if it was an acting issue. But no, I've realized by now that they're supposed to be this way. It's on Netflix, if you want to give it a try!

- Coach

Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next