It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
TV series 
Minor Diety

Post Re: TV series
The hair metal is basically only really whenever the bard does a song. Give the first 2 or 3 episodes of Vox Machina a try; they're almost their own standalone campaign before leading to the main section of the show so would give you a feel for whether you like it or not.

I've never bothered with Peaky Blinders, though it's quite big over here. I despise living near Birmingham and their crappy accents, I don't need more of them on TV!

Fri May 06, 2022 1:55 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Ok, thanks for the Vox Machina info. Lol at Peaky Blinders and the hatred of Birmingham accents. Personally I'm hit and miss on accents... Irish and Australian accents are pretty awesome. Welsh is horrible. Variations of "English" accents are hit or miss depending on the specific accent... but I don't know enough to really point out differences between Birmingham or whatever other accents there are. I know I worked with some guys based in/near London that were damned near impossible for me to understand. It's funny when I have an easier time understanding people in Bangladesh speaking English as a second language than I do people in London speaking it as their first. :roll: Though honestly there are some areas of the US whose accents are damned near indecipherable as well.

All of which is way off topic. :roll: I'll try to check out the first few episodes of Vox Machine. Thanks for that suggestion.

Sat May 07, 2022 10:20 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

We used to have a call centre at work and several English customers would say they couldn't understand some of the Scottish employees we had. :lol:

I'm still slowly working my through Star Trek: Deep Space 9 (good stuff) and almost done with The Expanse. The quality of the show takes a bit of a dive in the last season but that is to be expected, they probably would have needed another 15 seasons to do the actual story justice from the looks of it. Still having fun with it though. But the
death of Alex because of #metoo problems with the actor playing him
was a bit of a cold shower.

Apart from that I don't really watch a lot of TV. Looking forward to the new season of Stranger Things which dropped last night!

- Coach

Sat May 28, 2022 3:39 am
Felix Rex

I pretty much gave up on Stranger Things after the last season. I was on the fence with that one going in and by the end I realized the show had worn out its interest with me. Good luck with it though!

Finished up through season 5 of Peaky Blinders. I know season 6 is ongoing on BBC probably, but it's not available on Netflix yet. that's fine. It's not great at this point, but I'm pretty sure that 6 is the final season, so I'll stick it out.

We of course started watching the new Obi Wan Kenobi series on Disney+. So far it's pretty good. Looking forward to more of it.

We've also been watching Severance. It's about people that have their minds surgically divided into work and not-work selves. It's really bizarre, but I'm enjoying it. It also has Christopher Walken, which is always a good thing.

Besides that we've been watching the Halo show. I really enjoy it, actually, though it's a bit uneven.

Sun May 29, 2022 9:47 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Satis wrote:
I pretty much gave up on Stranger Things after the last season. I was on the fence with that one going in and by the end I realized the show had worn out its interest with me. Good luck with it though!

Finished up through season 5 of Peaky Blinders. I know season 6 is ongoing on BBC probably, but it's not available on Netflix yet. that's fine. It's not great at this point, but I'm pretty sure that 6 is the final season, so I'll stick it out.

We of course started watching the new Obi Wan Kenobi series on Disney+. So far it's pretty good. Looking forward to more of it.

We've also been watching Severance. It's about people that have their minds surgically divided into work and not-work selves. It's really bizarre, but I'm enjoying it. It also has Christopher Walken, which is always a good thing.

Besides that we've been watching the Halo show. I really enjoy it, actually, though it's a bit uneven.

It's your call of course but to me season 4 of Stranger Things might be the best one yet. It's really good TV. So if you're ever out of stuff to watch I would give it another chance. But hey, plenty of other things to try these days so I get it. :)

Peaky Blinders should be on Netflix too now! I agree that it's running out of steam a bit, and I never really thought it was as amazing as everyone else seemed to think. But I keep watching for Cilian Murphy basically, who is an amazing actor.

Umbrella Academy also released on Netflix for season 3 and it's ok. Not amazing but enjoyable.

How is Kenobi? I've seen some criticism on lazy writing and plotholes and some it looked really damning. And then there was the scene of tiny Leia running away from several grown men who apparently can't catch up with a 5 year old. That looked ridiculous as hell haha. :roll:
Not to mention things like Kenobi not killing Vader when he could because well, they need Vader alive.

- Coach

Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:37 am
Felix Rex

Yea, I really enjoyed Kenobi. There were some parts you just had to ignore, like your spoiler... fool me once, shame on you... fool me twice, can't break the timeline. I still really enjoyed the show, I thought it was really awesome, despite a few flaws. Way better than the Book of Boba Fett. That was horrible in comparison.

We're working our way through Peaky Blinders season 6. To me it's a chore, but Shiny enjoys it. I think we have 2 episodes left. I'm looking forward to wrapping that one up.

Severance was great, but ended on a cliff hanger. That always annoys me. Still worth a watch if you're curious.

For All Mankind started back up. We watched the first episode, which wasn't very good. Haven't gotten back to it since... hopefully it's improved. That's about it for now.

Oh, I do plan on watching Stranger Things season 4. I've seen too many positive reviews to skip on it. I'm REALLY not looking forward to kids and their high school trials and tribulations... I really hope it transitions away from that pretty quickly. We shall see.

Still very slowly making progress on Twin Peaks. :roll: I'm on season 2 episode 3.

Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:07 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I've also started watching S6 of Peaky Blinders and it's a bit meh so far...not bad TV, just nothing that drives me wild. It's looking like they are going for a sort of psychedelic/metaphysical arc and it's already obvious to me now that Tommy will die at the end (no spoilers tho). I think most people watching it were interested in it for the gang war aspect, not this stuff. But anyway.

Stranger Things season 4 doesn't really focus on high school stuff all that much. It's there in the first few episodes but it quickly fades into the background for the greater storyline, so don't worry, if that's what's holding you back you're not gonna be disappointed. :wink:

After you finish the original two seasons of Twin Peaks you need to watch Fire Walk With Me and then the newest season. The more you see of it the more you get sucked into the fucked up lore that is never truly explained. :P

- Coach

Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:55 pm
Minor Diety

We finally got round to Wheel of Time. Neither of us has read the books. I wasn't sold on the first episode but it grew on me and by the third I was enjoying it. You wouldn't think I was as we kept saying "They're like urguls from Eragon" or "This director really wishes he'd made LotR". I'm certain there were some journeying/landscape shots that were pretty much lifted from the LotR films, including sweeping fly bys. But I did really enjoy it overall, though I'd love to punch Nynaeve in the face.

We're now onto Superman and Lois season 2, just 3 episodes in. Not bad, taking me a while again to get into it. Possibly because as a non-comic reader it's not obvious how this season's threat is much different to last season's, but we know who/what it is now and Niall assures me it's different.

Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:59 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

I think everyone wants to punch Nynaeve in the face, so don't feel bad. I'm looking forward to Wheel of Time season 2, but am still a bit afraid they're going to screw it up. We'll see. So far it's been an odd mix of honest to the books and totally out of order, but that's ok. If you enjoy this series and feel the urge to read 14 freaking books, you may want to check out the series at some point. It's pretty good... then repetitive... the good again. :roll:

We did watch Stranger Things season 4. It was pretty good. I'd been under the impression that it was the final season, but was disabused of this notion by the end. Of course there's going to be another season. *sigh*

Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:07 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Which service is wheel of time on? Amazon?

@ Satis I'm sure season 5 will have 2 hour episodes each and a 5 hour finale. :lol: But yeah told you, it was good.

Has anyone watched the Netflix adaptation of Neil Gaiman's Sandman comics? I'm a few episodes in and so far it's pretty good! Of course half the cast is suddenly black and I'm sure they'll squeeze in some gay and trans people where they weren't before but that's par for the course these days. :roll: As long as the story is still good it doesn't bother me too much.

- Coach

Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:37 am
Minor Diety

Yep Amazon, we used up a month free trial so thought we might as well give it a go.

We're currently watching Sandman; one of our friends favourite comics and he's really pleased with it. I think we've watched 7 episodes so far. Niall has read the comics and is enjoying it, I haven't yet read them but also enjoying it. I can't help comparing bits to the Discworld books though (Gaiman himself is a huge fan and he did work with Pratchett on Good Omens).

Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:28 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

How do you get those free trials? :) I might do it and then cancel :lol:

- Coach

Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:24 am
Minor Diety

Not sure if it's because I used to be a member or not but it just came through on email. I daresay if you just go to the site it'll give the option if you went to purchase something. My friend has been doing this for years and he gets a free trial come through around September every year so he just binges a ton of stuff in a month then waits another year.

Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:29 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Yea, we've been watching Sandman and I really like it. I never read the comics, but I think the series is pretty great. They do an amazing job of keeping it different each episode. Also been watching Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones. Pretty happy with each thus far.

Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:39 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Finished Sandman and really enjoyed it. Friend thought there were pacing issues in episodes 6-10 but we thought they were just fine. I thought the second part of the last episode felt like it dragged a little but I couldn't tell you what bits felt too long. Might just have been me not being in the mood to watch it that day. It was interesting later to look through Niall's comics and see just how many scenes they've lifted straight from them.
E.g. in the final episode where Morpheus pulls Desire's head back by their hair, there's a panel in the comic that is exactly that

Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:05 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next