How to stop terrorism 
Minor Diety

Post How to stop terrorism
Stop the geopolitical meddling.

Agreed?

Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:54 pm
Minor Diety

Post Re: How to stop terrorism
I don't disagree, but I think some meddling is almost inevitable from the perspective of the West, for economic and historical reasons. That is not to say it it all justified, just trying to say it may not be so easy to just 'stop'.

So apparently Brussels is under complete lockdown. What a fucking shithole that city is.

I fail to see what it will achieve though. Schools closed, metro closed, lots of companies closed, events cancelled, merchants not getting any customers...meanwhile there is no evidence that any of the measures taken have stopped a possible terrorist plot, apart from "lots of people with guns on the street may make them think twice". It seems like a pretty huge toll for very little result. And exactly what those assholes want.

So in a week this "level 4" terror level wil lend and then what? They will come out of their basement and blow shit up anyway? Or maybe they just walk out of their house now with a kalashnikov under their coat and go to a nearby city without paracommandos on every corner and shoot people there? Seems like this is a futile excercise that is achieving exactly what the terrorists want.

Meh. I just wish all those assclowns would drop dead right now. Good riddance.

- Coach

Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:10 am
Felix Rex

Geopolitical non-involvement doesn't work. You can't just leave the other people alone and expect things to work out. The US tried that after WWI with pretty poor results. Heavy-handed meddling, perhaps, but I don't think there's a silver bullet to solve these issues. Personally, I'd rather live free but under threat than safe in a police state.

Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:43 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Yes, I agree with you Satis on that last point.

So the aftermath of the Brussels lockdown...

1 week of the city pretty much shutting down, and the results are...

19 home searches
No weapons found
No explosives found
No wanted persons found

:?

And then the minister of the interior goes on the news and says "we narrowly escaped the worst on the Sunday we raised the terror alert". I mean, sure, I guess it's possible. But erh, if you had such concrete evidence, why didn't you find anything? Not even a scrap of evidence?

- Coach

Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:24 am
Stranger

Terrorism is an idea, it cannot be shot, stabbed, burned, electrified or gassed. I believe the only thing that will work in the end is education. Educating people will eventually lead to the understanding how they are used for personal gain by "spiritual leaders", politicians, etc. Instead of bombs we should be airdropping biology and history books alongside with economics and other books that bring about the age of enlightenment.

Of course to that end it would help a great deal if european politician would grow some balls and STOP SELLING THEM GOD DAMN WEAPONS.

Be well or Get Help!!

Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:54 am
Minor Diety

Satis wrote:
Geopolitical non-involvement doesn't work. You can't just leave the other people alone and expect things to work out.

Are you referring to the Iraq and A'Stan wars?

Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:44 am
Felix Rex

Actually, I was referring to World War II. :P

Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:55 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

And specifically the US intervention?

Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:47 am
Felix Rex

Well, the lack of intervention. Everyone was minding their own business and let Germany do its thing. If Europe had intervened a little earlier, it might have kept the war from getting quite so crazy. If the US had thrown in with Europe when they did finally go in, that might've kept things more controlled as well.

Anyway, the answers aren't easy. If you stay uninvolved, shit may escalate to the point where it starts to destabilize a whole region, or there's a massive war. If you get involved too early or too aggressively, you get accused of meddling and people hate you. There's probably no right answer.

I do wish the US would quit fighting in wars in the middle east and Africa. I'd also like to quit giving financial and other aid to countries that hate us. It weirds me out that there are kids in high school now that have never been alive when the US wasn't involved in a war.

Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:32 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]