It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
So freaking cold 
Felix Rex

Post So freaking cold
It's freaking cold in Texas. Looks like we're about at the end of it, but man... it got down to 1F (-17C) several nights in a row, and stayed below freezing for like a week. This state is not built for that... we have all kinds of infrastructure failing, from power distribution to bursting water pipes. A bunch of power plants are offline as a result of the cold, so we have rolling blackouts state wide to alleviate the electricity shortage. Shiny and I haven't lost power yet...we think it's because we're on the same grid as a hospital, which is rather fortuitous. Not sure if this made international news, but there was a massive wreck near Forth Worth on Feb 11.

133 cars, 6 dead.
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/weather/2021/02/11/winter-weather-causes-hazardous-conditions-on-north-texas-roads/

Some video of it happening (avoid if this kind of stuff freaks you out)

Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:10 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

Post Re: So freaking cold
Were they sleeping at the wheel? I mean wtf. Judging by the speed they were coming in it must've been straight road.

PS! The dallas news link is blocked for eu.

Nope not mentioned in estonian news so far.

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:18 am
Minor Diety

Yeah read about it in the news here that Texas is having major power problems and such. Immediately had to think about you guys. Good to hear you're not that affected.

We had our share of cold weather as well last week, temperature dropping to - 15°C one night. It snowed and snow stayed in our garden for about a week. Good thing i didn't have to physically teach, so could stay home.

~King of Thieves~

Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:54 am
Minor Diety

Wow, no not made the news here that I'm aware of though I had seen someone complaining it was -3c in Texas, didn't know you'd gone as low as -17c. It was pretty cold over here last week; tiny village near where I used to live hit -17c and somewhere in Scotland hit -23c! Very lucky you're on the same grid as the hospital from the sound of it. All the more reason to stay indoors and snuggle up to your computer methinks.

Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:54 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

Yea it looks like we're gonna go down to -28 during the nighttime this week. During the day its around -10 to -16 celsius. Should be warmer during the weekend though.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/ntsb-investi ... EIVC5KpMi4

That one worked for me.

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:36 pm
Stranger

Took these two weeks ago, there's even more snow now.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:45 pm
Felix Rex

Yea, sorry that video link was blocked for you guys. Stupid Youtube. Anyway... scary stuff. The road was frozen over with ice, hence the insane crashes. It's not something Texas roads are really designed for, nor what people here are used to dealing with. Thankfully I just work from home 100% of the time, so it's all good. There was some fear the water pumping stations were going to freeze up and cause everyone to lose running water, but we're good so far and temperatures are expected to get above freezing in two days. We filled up some water containers just in case, but it seems we got quite lucky in that regard. On the flip side, half my company can't work because of power/internet issues, so the ones of us left (like me) get to pick up the slack. :roll: Still, I'd rather have power and need to work extra than have no power.

Man, Peltz, -28C? To hell with that. I forgot how cold cold really is... anything below about 20F (~-7C) is enough where I feel like jeans just don't cut it anymore, and gloves are mandatory. To hell with -28C. :) Stay safe! On the flip side, I invite you guys to Texas in summer. :D That 110F (43C) is like walking into an oven.

Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:09 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I'll pass thanks Satis. Anything above 20c is too much for me! Though since being in remission from Cushing's my body temperature is out of whack and I am permanently cold except on 30+ days so maybe I should visit!

Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:15 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Haha, you might actually like it here in summer. You're certainly welcome anytime you want. That goes for all of you. :)

Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:21 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Party at Satis'!

Satis's? Satises?

Party at Shiny's!

Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:59 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

We had ice rain yesterday. Some sources claim that every 3 minutes someone fell and hurt themselves. Some went ice skating on roads at night time. The ice was so strong and smooth it put ice skating establishments to shame. Didn't find info on fatalities or major crashes. There was one dead but he and his car fell through ice on a pond, so that can be chalked up to karma or stupidity.

https://www.delfi.ee/news/paevauudised/ ... u_s0n2yqxT

https://www.postimees.ee/7186802/transp ... e=13646711

Not sure if the links work.

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:16 am
Stranger

So there were a total of 275 reported crashes for yesterday.

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:23 am
Minor Diety

They worked for me. That's an insane number of crashes.

Meanwhile my parents in France have been having temperatures of 21c and here in the UK we had 16c today.

Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:58 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

It's ok...a few days after the free broke, we were up to 21C. :roll: Welcome to Texas! None of our chickens died or got frostbite, but it did kill off quite a bit of our winter garden. :( I had planted a whole bed of Kohlrabi that perished. Screw you jet stream!

Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:15 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I follow a guy called Ozzyman. He does his own hilarious commentaries on random videos and also posts links to interesting stuff. He just shared this about the cold weather in Texas: https://ruinmyweek.com/pictures/texas-r ... xkbjFwa4nA

Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:11 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next