It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
US 2020 Presidential Election 
Minor Diety

Post Re: US 2016 Presidential Election
I don't like Hillary, but there is some serious retardation in this clip

"Don't give me your 'facts', I will take my feelings instead".

This kinda of rhetoric is the death of intellectualism.

- Coach

Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:21 pm
Felix Rex

Yea, I saw that. It was horrifying.

Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:38 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Both horrifying and terrifying.
Our political system isn't that great, but the 2 party system clearly has major flaws as well.

~King of Thieves~

Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:35 am
Felix Rex

I'd rather have the hodge podge of smaller parties than two monumentally retarded parties. I must admit though, as much as I know how terrible a Trump presidency would probably be, a twisted part of me almost wants to see it to see just how terrible things can become. It's probably the same part of me that looks at wrecks on the road.

Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:38 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

No, I get that. It's only once you've wrecked something, that you have an opportunity to rebuild it as something better.

Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:05 am
Minor Diety

Don't we all have that destructive urge deep down? It's like when you're holding something valuable or fragile and you're standing near a ledge...you kinda just want to throw it down there. :) Even though you obviously won't.

To be honest, it boggles the mind that Trump is still in this race. He says things that would have immediately sunk other candidates, and not just once or twice, but almost every week. His message is a mix of scaremongering not based in facts, unrealistic draconic measures/proposals relating to immigration and foreign policy, ad hominem insults and unbridled narcissism. His response to criticism often doesn't even make any sense, and yet...it rarely seems to affect him. Take his response to the muslim guy whose son died as a captain fighting in the US army, asking what kind of sacrifices Trump has made.

Quote:
"I've made sacrifices. I've created thousands and thousands of jobs, tens of thousands of jobs, built great structures. I've had tremendous success. I think I've done a lot."

I mean...what? How are any of those sacrifices? Having success is a sacrifice? It feels like I'm watching a parody of parody, but it's actually real.

I also understand that Hillary is seen as just another member of the political establishment (which she is), and that she represents the status quo. But Jesus H Christ, the world Trump envisions is a scary place. I'm not sure why even the blue collar white male voters - his main demographic - are voting for him. He's a billionaire who got a head start in life with a small family fortune, who has no interest in making their lives or wages any better. Clinton is not exactly the blue collar candidate either, but at least she's not a business shark.

- Coach

Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:59 am
Minor Diety

I think the only alternative would have been Jeb Bush, so yeah, not sure i'd be happy with that either. With Clinton we're getting another dynasty. I do lament Sanders endorsing Clinton. I think Bernie was the only credible option.

Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:44 am
Minor Diety

Good tiles at Trump rallies. "get dem beaners out" "Fuck that nigger" "muslim is not a religion pardner" "sieg heil" "faggots"

:cry: crying for the world

- Coach

Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:22 am
Felix Rex

It looks like his support is crumbling, which is good. It also means Hillary will probably be the first female president of the US. First an African American male, then a white woman... next an atheist? Who knows!

Regarding Trump, I think it's a combination of bigots flocking to him and people that are tired of the status quo. The erosion of the middle class, 15 years of continuous war, the rich getting richer, the poor getting poorer... lots of people are fed up, I think. If he weren't so disgusting I might be tempted as well. But no, I'm not stupid.

Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:59 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Yeah, I suppose your analysis is right. I guess the religious right is a little confused on this one though haha. Decadent New Yorker who remarried twice and has (in the past, although not now anymore) been a supporter of abortion rights and other social liberties...I think even Clinton would be closer to their values than Trump. :lol:

What I don't understand though is that the same people who have been losing their spot in the middle class would throw in their lot with a man like Trump, who obviously hasn't even smelled the middle class in 70 years. But as you said, you're not stupid. A lot of people are. That's probably the simple answer to that question.

Looks like a lot of people even within the Republican party are openly distancing themselves from him now. So yeah, barring any major upsets it's looking like his game may finally be over. But it's a long time til November!

- Coach

Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:28 am
Felix Rex

Yea, there's no telling what will happen. Even if the Trump wins, it'll make for some interesting times.

I'm still trying to figure out who to vote for. The Anti-vaxxer is out (Green party), and the guy that wants to just get rid of half of the federal government seems like an idiot as well (Libertarian). Even the losers are losers.

Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:16 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

The green candidate is/was an antivaxxer? Lol. Man, politics are weird in the US. On this side of the pond the greens are typically bleeding hart lefties. I've always kind of figured the antivaxxer idiocy was mostly on the right side of the political spectrum.

But yeah, it does sound like there is barely anyone left to vote for. I face the same problem back home. Luckily, I don't live in Belgium, so I can dodge our good old soviet-style mandatory voting system for the most part. :roll:

- Coach

Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:16 pm
Felix Rex

Mandatory voting? Jeez. I'm sure that ends well. BTW, greens are far left, as are the anti-vaxxers. Weird world we live in.

Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:05 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

It's a real thing :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsory_voting

How the fuck do ridiculous ignorant conspiracists end up on the far left? I guess idiocy is not restricted to any political orientation. :)

- Coach

Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:03 pm
Felix Rex

Yea, there are idiots everywhere. Far left, far right, far moderate :roll: They're all equally dangerous.

Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:36 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next