It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
US 2020 Presidential Election 
Minor Diety

Post Re: US 2016 Presidential Election
Satis wrote:
Oof. We're in for an interesting next few years. I don't think it needs to be said that I had no hand in electing our buffoon in chief. :roll: I guess it just reinforces that most people are idiots. I'm not sure I've been so glum about the future in a very long time.

Yeah, that's the feeling I had the day after as well. Probably more pessimistic about the future than I've ever been.

Now, in some ways I think a Trump presidency will be 'more of the same', just not as obvious as it would have been with Clinton at the helm. The establishment isn't overthrown that easily, and the president and his cabinet don't just do whatver they want, of course.

Apart from his more unrealistic plans like the wall (and making mexico pay for it), banning entry to all muslims and bringing back low wage jobs to the US, it really is completely unclear what Trump's programme is going to be like. More likely, he never really had one and will just wing it. Which is hardly a prospect to look forward to, but still.

Anyway, like with you, I'm mostly in disbelief at the idiocy of people. Look, I get that some people (white low/middle class men in particular) vote for Trump. I totally get it from a self-interested pov. But 30% of the hispanic vote was for him. 52% of the white female vote was for him. What the actual fuck? Have any of these people paid any attention to what he was saying the last months? That makes no fucking sense. :lol:

Gonna be interesting to see what will happens for Eastern Europe and the baltics, with Trump having clearly said he doesn't really give a shit about policing the world and him being a pal of Putin's (so far). I'm worried.

- Coach

Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:58 pm
Minor Diety

Well well well. Isn't this interesting. Could this be a sign? The beginning of the end. Not of America, but of the bullshit unrepresentative self-serving corrupt political system and establishment we've been dealing with for some time? Maybe. Maybe not. Unfortunately Trump is probably a mongoloid, so it's a 50/50 chance if we're being optimistic.

Neo-conservatism is in crisis, and rightfully so. In the wake of Iraq, Afghanistan, 2008, etc, there is now widespread recognition of successive, significant, and persistent policy failure. The ability for people to communicate instantaneously has changed the game. No longer is it easy to remain subversive. No longer is history written by the victor. No longer should the masses remain ignorant. No longer can politicians peddle the same rhetoric with the same credibility of yesteryear.

The people (Americans especially) are far from being wise to the game, but they are starting to smell a faint whiff in the air. Let us hope they are stimulated to grasp the subtle notion of progressivism, so that Trumps successor isn't a regressive fascist that I presume Trump will be, or a sociopathic neo-conservative like every president was, since at least Kennedy.

Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:12 pm
Stranger

Be well or Get Help!!

Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:04 am
Felix Rex

I think what got Trump elected was the general anger at the status quo and the political elite. It was more a rebellion against all the crap that's been going on than people voting for Trump specifically. All the indoctrination for "this is a two party system" made him the only option. ugh. I know quite a few people that voted for Trump, and at least some of them are upper middle class white males.

I hate the status quo as much as anyone, but goddamn. BTW, he is already back-pedaling on a bunch of his campaign promises. This isn't unusual... every elected official does that in this place. Hopefully the Trump voters are realizing they got conned. On the flip side, the person Trump put in place to oversee the transition of the EPA (environmental protection agency) is an outspoken climate change denier. That does not bode well. Peter Thiel, who bankrolled bankrupting Gawker because he didn't like some of the stories they wrote, is part of his little committee for figuring out who gets appointed to government positions.

So.. part of me is afraid of what will happen, but part of me wants the shit to go as pear-shaped (fucked up) as possible. Worst case scenario, I've got enough guns and ammo to make it through.

:rifle:

Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:04 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

hahaha, I should probably get a gun and some training too just in case society collapses. :D

Pretty sure it's easy as fuck to get a gun (well, a hunting rifle) in Malta.

- Coach

Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:57 pm
Felix Rex

If you were to fly to Texas, I could show you how to handle a gun properly. Just saying.

Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:04 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Hell, if I'm there I want to try assault rifles, not just any gun. :P We'd have to find out what the heaviest ordnance is that I can legally fire for a reasonable price.

So a few weeks into the Trump presidency and we don't really know almost anything new. I find that the type of people he's been talking to (and to some extent has been giving posts to in his cabinet) is pretty mind-boggling given his rhetoric on the campaign trail. If nothing else, it probably shows that he didn't really have any idea what he was doing and that he never really had an agenda to begin with. Not that it necessarily a bad thing, but still. I find it amusing that he's even quicker to back up on a lot of his promises than the political "swamp" establishment figures he was blaming for everything for much of his campaign. :roll:

In the rest of the world, a green candidate relatively narrowly beat a far right one in Austria for the presidency, and in Italy the sitting prime minister resigned over a failed referendum to reform the political system. And we got elections in France, Holland and Germany coming up with with racist (Le Pen/Wilders) and a Republican type party (AfD) with a realistic shot at governing.

Wonderful times. :roll: At least in Malta, the same two idiot parties just fight over power in an eternal status quo. For better or worse haha.

- Coach

Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:38 pm
Minor Diety

The soap never ends

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/na ... 941f5395ab

- Coach

Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:54 am
Minor Diety

The CIA butthurt or evoking Cold War nostalgism. Which is more pathetic.

Even if it's true, they've done us a favour and we should be grateful.

Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:25 am
Minor Diety

That's like saying that we should be happy we got a box of shit instead of a box of piss. It's probably just as bad for us, just better for some of the people pulling the strings behind any of this, beit corporations, Russia or reptilians. :)

Kanye 2020 man. He'll change the world with his rad sneakers and fashion. Maybe he'll put Facebook under a state monopoly. It will be amazing.

- Coach

Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:11 am
Felix Rex

Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:09 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

And a devil sitting in a willow tree? :P

- Coach

Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:58 am
Minor Diety

Whatever you think about the man, Trump sure makes for a good comic book villain with his weird diatribes and tweets.

Mark Hammil reading Trump's new year's tweet in his Joke character (from the games)

https://audioboom.com/posts/5471405-the ... er-quote-1

Also, Darth Trump:

Best part is where he tells a room full of Imperial Fleet officers how militaristic he is, and that he is better than them. Also love how he just rants on and on about his products/projects or about his own awesomeness when asked a question, instead of answering it directly. Just like in real life. :lol:

- Coach

Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:57 am
Minor Diety

Hilarious. I've shared.

The "militaristic" bit is awesome. And the way they just look at each other as if they've been given an order "admiral!"

Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:17 am
Minor Diety

Haha yeah the sync up between the sound and the video is amazing in that scene. :)

On a more general note, has this presidency been a train wreck so far or what. :-D I mean I wasn't exactly expecting something amazing or anything, but even by my standards it's been a complete joke so far.

Seems like the commander in chief is constantly ranting about his goddamn ratings or about businesses dropping his daughter's clothes line or some shit, not to mention getting into hissy fits with the media and calling every negative reporting on him "fake news". :roll: Not to mention the constant flipflopping and just plain denial of reality. And oh yeah, openly questioning the validity of the judicial branch of government. :lol: Jesus christ. It's starting to look like even his counselors and press secretary are getting tired of this shit, and we're barely a few weeks in.

His first 'solo' press conference pretty much said it all. The man is a petty manchild who's making George Bush look like a political wizard.

Funny tweet about Trump's 'twitter feud' (seemed staged) with Arnie

Quote:
Arnold Schwarzenegger, the former governor of California, is subtweeting President-elect Donald Trump. Explain that sentence to 1985

- Coach

Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next