It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Game of Thrones season 8 
Minor Diety

Post Game of Thrones season 8
So...it's probably an understatement that this season has had a pretty bad reception from the general audience. :P

I wonder how you guys felt about it though? Did you think it wasn't so bad and didn't deserve (so much) internet rage? Or did you agree with the criticism? And what did you like the most/least?

- Coach

Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:51 pm
Stranger

Post Re: Game of Thrones season 8
Game of what-now? :D

Be well or Get Help!!

Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:20 am
Minor Diety

I gave up on it at the start of season 5, was getting shit then. Maybe one day he'll finish the books and I'll get to complete it the way it should've been. Not that I'm holding out much hope for that either ;)

Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:57 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

FYI, the books haven't completed the story yet.. the last few seasons go past what the books covered.

I liked the general gist of the last season, but I feel like it was rushed. It should've been 10 episodes, not 5. Other than that, I didn't have much of a problem with it. Some people lost their minds.

Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:59 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

The last season was bullshit. Scripts that my two year old would have written better. Tarnished an otherwise entertaining show. The Dothraki charge in particular had me foaming from the mouth with rage.

Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:43 am
Minor Diety

MASSIVE SPOILERS AHEAD FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T SEEN SEASON 8

Haha yeah the dothraki charge was ridiculous. That whole battle was insanity, tactics-wise. So, you're facing an unstoppable army of undead who can only be stopped by fire (pretty much). And you're on the defensive and have a castle. Things not to do:

- use your cavalry to do a head on charge into pitch black darkness
- station most of your army outside of the walls
- generally speaking throwing bodies at the enemy, because he can recycle them
- not use your dragons (ok they did in the end, but the plan was initially to keep them out of the main battle)

There were more weird moments - like the Night King being immune to dragon fire. Wut? Why? I thought dragonfire was magical, which was the reason why the undead dragon could bring down the wall? But it doesn't even singe the Night King? It feels like like we were missing a whole piece of lore there.

Satis is right when he says that some people really went overboard and lost their minds, because the show was still very good. The cinematography and acting was still top notch, and maybe some of the best of the entire series. But yeah, it was so obviously rushed. The storyline as such wasn't bad, but the way it was rushed made it feel ridiculous. Daenarys' heel turn was too quick, Jaime's return to Cersei was too sudden, the fact that you can alternatively no-scope a dragon from a ship with one scorpion twice in a row and then fail to hit anything with 70 scorpions on the city wall was inconsistent....not to mention the fact the Unsullied apparently aren't too bothered by Jon killing Daenarys. Also, I thought the Dothraki followed whoever killed the khal? Did they follow Jon North? :lol:

Same for the conclusion...Bran is the king now? I mean, yeah, we know he's a magic treemaster. But who else believes that from all the people present at that meeting? They're just gonna take his word for it? And the Iron Isles and Dorne don't even put up their hands when Sansa says the North will be independent? Holy shit. That makes no sense.

So yeah, a sorry ending to a great show and zeitgeist phenomonon. Will be curious to see Benioff and Weiss destroy the Star Wars franchise some more. :lol:

- Coach

Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:16 am
Felix Rex

Ack. Leave Star Wars out of this!

Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:31 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Haha, if it's any comfort, they have shown they can make a great series, for at least 5 seasons. :P So with some good source material their star wars work might be fine. Having said that, I still haven't seen Solo, after how much I was turned off by The Last Jedi. But it has Danny Glover as Lando, so I really should for that alone.

@ GoT I forgot to mention that they put their catapults in front of their army. I have a feeling Jon Snow would be a pretty shitty Rome: Total War player. :roll:

- Coach

Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:19 pm
Minor Diety

4 seasons. 5 was when it got awful :P

I think they've just been signed up to do a bunch of Netflix stuff so we'll see if they can redeem themselves...

Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:23 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

I think GoT started going to crap when they ran out of source material (the books up to that point). I still think it was fine, but it definitely lost something at that point. I blame GRRM as much as the show-runners though.

Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:21 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I'm with you on that Satis. Whilst they had something to draw on it was good, it started going downhill in season 4 to my mind overall. The first really bad episode was the one at Craster's Keep that was entirely made up. We saw the 5 leaked episodes at the start of season 5 and ended it there. Martin really needs to get off his arse, stop fannying about doing spin off books and finish his own series. I'm not even bothering with the rest of the books now until the whole series is out. So give it 20 - 30 years :lol:

Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:59 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I think it's that and the fact that Benioff and Weiss were kinda tired of GoT and wanted to move on to other projects. It's a public secret that HBO would have been happy to do 2 or even 3 more seasons instead of one, but Benioff and Weiss refused. I think you could have easily kept the storyline for this season but made it feel less rushed and more believable by spreading it over several seasons. Alas.

- Coach

Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:44 am
Felix Rex

Ah, that's too bad. They really did set a good stage. At least it wasn't the Matrix, I guess. Though frankly I'm quite interested in Matrix 4.

Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:54 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Stranger things have happened since the last Matrix films - including the Wachowski brothers becoming the Wachowski sisters. So you never know.

- Coach

Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]