It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Holidays 
Minor Diety

Post Holidays
Made a 3-day trip to Bologna on a cheap-ass Ryanair flight from Malta about 2-3 weeks ago. Turns out there is no shortage of those, thanks to Malta's central Mediterranean location. Had a great time, Bologna surprised me. It's not a huge city by Italian standards, but very old and also a university city. In fact, it is the home of the oldest university in the world.

The photos are a bit meh in quality sometimes as I was using my tablet, but they do the trick. You'll see the typical porticos of Bologna, which are ubiquitous in almost all of the old inner city. I love them, it's genius. Lots of walking space, cover from both rain or sun, and just overall pleasing. Best invention ever. :) For more info:

http://www.emiliaromagnaturismo.com/en/ ... anguage=en

My pictures:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

- Coach

Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:00 pm
Minor Diety

Post Re: Holidays
aaaah makes me want to go myself. pretty jealous. never been to bologna myself but its on my to-do list somewhere. strong chance of me popping down to venice region for xmas to do the whole family thing this year, but if im going i have a strong inclination to go crazy and either tour the north, stopping off for the family-thing or maybe going to egypt for some sun and doing the same. i have 2 weeks to play around with. i'd better start looking into prices.

Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:39 pm
Minor Diety

Let me know when you are going to Italy exactly. I might be able to hop a cheap flight and hang out. :twisted:

- Coach

Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:47 pm
Minor Diety

So, as you may or may not know I took a trip last month from Paris back to Malta, via plane, train, boat train and boat. :) There were some taxis, buses, metros and trams in between too, but those were mostly locally. :roll: I'll save you the little details but I'll give you the trajectory, to understand and place the photos a little better:

- Plane from Malta to Paris (2.5 hours)
- Stayed there one day, in the afternoon the next day I took direct train to Milan (7 hour train ride)
- Stayed in Milan one night, took the train in the afternoon the next day to Napels (4.5 hour train ride)
- Stayed there two nights, visited Pompei and went for a delicious dinner, then ook the train to Catania in Sicily (7 hour train ride)
- Rode the train right on to the ferry across the strait of Messina, where the train was put on the tracks again
- Stayed one night in Catania, took the (normal) ferry back to Malta. It's about a 1.5 hour journey.

Satis and Shiny may recognize some pics from Paris, I went to the same Irish pub on Montmartre that we went to when they were here. ;)

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

Here are some vids too...one of them is the train rolling back out of the ferry. Can't see much, but you'll get the idea. :)

Pompeii amphitheatre

Sacre Coeur, Montmartre (Paris)

- Coach

Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:58 pm
Felix Rex

Very cool.... but DAMN... one night in each place and then long ass train rides or whatever? That crap sucks. Next time I'm going to Europe, it's a minimum of 2 days at each stop... MINIMUM. Screw that whole running around until I collapse of exhaustion in Amsterdam crap.

Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:34 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Hahaha might want to add that we got pretty mighty drunk the day before, and that you had to wake up at 8 or something to take the train to Amsterdam. :P Fuck, that was a great evening in Antwerp. Good food, some touristy walking, then hardcore beer nerding and walking through the red light district. Epic stuff. I felt really bad for you guys having to get up early the next day though. No wonder Amsterdam was shit. :D But I'm guessing the bicycle terrorists and rude Dutchies didn't help.

Yeah, the schedule was a bit too hectic. I think I should have stayed 2 days in every city really, instead of 1, but eh. Some of them didn't really do much for me (like Milan) so it wasn't always a bad thing per se.

Going to Prague late May, I'll see if I can take some pics again. Glad you guys liked these ones!

I think all of you other bastards should post some pics of your travels as well, if you have them!

- Coach

Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:21 pm
Felix Rex

Just got back from a trip to Washington DC. Flew in Thursday, came home Monday evening. It was a lot of fun. We did museums and monuments during the day, restaurants and bars at night. The town is surprisingly active... there are bars and restaurants everywhere. It's expensive, but the food is good and the beer selection fairly impressive.

I'll post some pics once I get them unloaded from my camera and phone. The highlight for me, though, was the Air and Space museum. I geek out at that shit. They had a predator drone and SpaceShipOne, among many other cool things.

Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:20 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

I've unloaded my camera and posted some of the pics here: http://clankiller.com/gallery/index.php?gallery=8

I haven't unloaded my phone or Shiny's camera or phone, so it's possible this gallery will grow. I never took my camera along for our evening excursions, so this is pretty much entirely of monuments and museums.

Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:54 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Thanks for the pics! Some really nice ones in there. :) Washington DC almost looks European, in some of them (except for the wide open spaces and armed men everywhere ;) ). It must be cool to be surrounded by so much history though...and I agree, I think Thomas Jefferson must be spinning in his grave right about now. Very jealous of the Airspaceone and Moonlander exhibits. :P Also loved the second pic, put that on a conspiracy website and you'll start a long thread. :P

Questions!

- What does the the national league of cities do?
- Who is Cynii exactly? Friend, family member?
- Is Washington DC a walkable city? I mean, how far are the Smithsonian museums, the mall, white house and most of the memorials from each other? (more or less)

- Coach

Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:47 am
Felix Rex

National league of cities is just a national organization for city politicians to get together and... discuss stuff? I guess. Shiny's brother is a member.

Cynii is a guy we know from Star Wars, the Old Republic MMO.

Yes, DC is a walkable and metro-able city. They have a good public transportation system. Regarding the museums, monuments, etc, it's all in a few square miles in the center of the city. The mall is basically this park area where all the museums, the white house, and most of those monuments all connect to. Here's a good map, though it's freaking enormous.

There are great restaurants to the north within a couple blocks, and the whole area is absolutely filled with federal buildings and, of course, lobbyists.

Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:06 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I hope you punched a lobbyist, just because you could.

Thanks for the explanation. Yeah, it definitely does look European in that way, ie everything being all relatively close together in the city center. But 3 or 5 times bigger, of course. The American way. :P

Doesn't Washington DC have one of the highest homicide rates in the US btw? Does that mean that the areas outside of the historical center are mostly poor?

- Coach

Mon May 04, 2015 6:50 am
Felix Rex

Doesn't seem the murder rate is too insane. This page doesn't even list it in the top 10.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/12/highest-murder-rate-us-cities-2013_n_6145404.html

Historically I thought I recalled DC being full of very poor people, but none of that was really in evidence when I was there. I probably didn't get far enough outside of the government and embassy areas to know, though. There are certainly bums, but that's pretty much any city.

Wed May 06, 2015 11:07 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I see. I did some research myself and it seems I may still be stuck in the 90s. That happens a lot.

Quote:
Despite being the headquarters of multiple federal law enforcement agencies, such as the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and United States Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), the nationwide crack epidemic of the 1980s and 1990s greatly affected the city and led to large increases in crime.[1] The number of homicides in Washington peaked in 1991 at 479,[2] and the city eventually became known as the "murder capital" of the United States.[3]

The crime rate started to fall in the mid-1990s as the crack epidemic gave way to economic revitalization projects. Gentrification efforts have also started to transform the demographics of distressed neighborhoods, recently leading to the first rise in the District's population in 60 years.[4]

By the mid-2000s, crime rates in Washington dropped to their lowest levels in over 20 years. As in many major cities, crime remains a significant factor in D.C., especially in the city's northwestern neighborhoods, which tend to be more affluent, draw more tourists, and have more vibrant nightlife.[5] Violent crime also remains a problem in Ward 8, which has the city's highest concentration of poverty.[6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Washington,_D.C.

- Coach

Mon May 18, 2015 4:05 pm
Felix Rex

Ah, very interesting, actually. Also explains some things. I lived in the area in the late 80s, so I probably would've caught it when crime was on the upswing.

Wed May 20, 2015 12:16 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

If I were a retard, I'd come up with some illuminati conspiracy theory. HOW CONVENIENT that Satis lived in DC and sets the engineered crack epidemic in motion, before moving to a safer place. I'm sure I've seen some illuminati symbols and signs in your pictures.

- Coach

Sat May 23, 2015 11:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next