Felix Rex

Post Re: Estonia at its best..
Texas wildlife

Don't touch it. They're mean and they can carry leprosy. :roll:

Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:32 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Leprosy? Isn't that shit extinct in the West?

- Coach

Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:55 am
Felix Rex

Quote:
The global registered prevalence of leprosy at the beginning of 2011 stood at 192,246 cases, and 228,474 new cases were detected during the year 2010 .

http://www.who.int/lep/situation/prevalence/en/

It's not extinct in the west, but it's practically extinct in the US and Europe. There's an incidence map on that link. :roll: I look up stuff on the internet on a whim lately. It makes me a font of useless knowledge.

Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:00 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I know what you mean. I've got a feeling my useless knowledge far outweighs any useful knowledge I may have ever had. :roll:

- Coach

Mon May 04, 2015 6:47 am
Stranger

http://news.err.ee/v/entertainment/7155 ... 3b95541bc1

Some interesting words here for you to try at home.

Be well or Get Help!!

Tue May 05, 2015 11:35 pm
Stranger

This year we hosted one of the biggest military exercises in EU (if not the biggest). Approximately 13000 participants, out of which 7000 was called in from the reserve, 1500+ from the Defense League (similar to home guard but they are still considered reservists and get paid only during official exercises, they usually have day job outside the military), 600 from allies out of which 100+ is the US detachment currently stationed in Estonia. Belgian Air Defense units and UK army are represented as well. Airforces from Poland and UK and i think some A10 warthogs from US.

Here's the Endex event, about 4000 participants. Others had already returned to either their stations or back to reserve. Since Estonia is roughly 200x200 km, we do not have enough practice areas to exercise with 13000 people. Also from the perspective of tank warfare our nature is a god damn disaster which is actually a boon for us. Starting from Monday i've been called in for duty with a naval exercise.

http://siil.postimees.ee/3188771/galeri ... -rivistuse

Ze belgians

http://siil.postimees.ee/3185337/galeri ... tsioonidel

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed May 13, 2015 10:19 am
Felix Rex

Is it me, or does this guy look like he had a few too many Belgian ales with his chocolate waffle breakfast?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed May 13, 2015 2:24 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Might be me and my lack of army knowledge, but isn't it weird that there's a picture of 2 (belgian) soldiers manning the rocket launcher thingie on top of that vehicle, both of them wearing glasses? I'd think lenses are less likely to get damaged in combat.

~King of Thieves~

Thu May 14, 2015 1:01 pm
Felix Rex

You mean contact lenses? Contact lenses in a combat zone are a bad idea. Combat zones are dirty, dusty, grimy places. The chance of you being able to take contact lenses out and clean them are pretty much nil. Regular glasses? Yea, spit on em and wipe em on your shirt. Good enough.

If that's not what you meant, never mind. :P

Fri May 15, 2015 12:01 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

Yea I agree with Satis. And if the terrain is anything like our forests, the glasses provide protection from that incoming tree branch the person in front of you is about to unleash on your face. Technically infantry shouldn't be so close but considering the places i was dragged through in training, sometimes one needs to be in arms reach of the person going in front.

Be well or Get Help!!

Fri May 15, 2015 12:16 pm
Minor Diety

I'm more curious about why two people in glasses are operating a long distance gun in the first place. :lol: You'd think good eyesight would be a pretty basic requirement.

As for mr chubby...can't go to war on an empty stomach! Waffles, chocolate and beer for everyone!

- Coach

Mon May 18, 2015 4:19 pm
Felix Rex

Well, I can't speak for your militaries, but ours is stupid about handing out glasses. When I joined, I was 21 years old and they gave me glasses to wear. Because... I don't know. I conveniently stuck them in a drawer and forgot about them, then continued on to shoot expert with the M-16. :roll: Yea, I need glasses my freaking ass.

Total disclosure....in basic training, I actually shot sharpshooter with 32 out of 40 targets at a range out to 300m using iron sites in prone (laying on the ground) and foxhole positions. The last time I shot before I got out of the Army I shot expert (39 out of 40 targets).

Wed May 20, 2015 12:11 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Is there a rank for 40/40? Or is still expert? Also, were there guys who couldn't hit the side of a barn and therefore should never be handed a rifle if you had anything to say about it? :)

Eyesight is a funny thing. It can really depend on the day and the situation sometimes, so a one-time eye test can be deceiving. I for example notice very clearly that if I spend a (long) day behind a PC, I have a bit more difficulty reading things in the distance (like a bus destination sign) than I normally would.

Of course there are people who literally can't see shit without their glasses, so for those it's pretty clear. But that's not the majority.

- Coach

Sat May 23, 2015 11:53 am
Felix Rex

To graduate basic training, you have to be able to shoot marksman (at least 23/40). If you can't, you get sent home. Out of the 250 people in my basic training class, probably 20-30 got sent home for various reasons (mostly medical). So yea, it happens. To answer your question, 40/40 is still expert.

Regarding the eyesight thing, sure, I certainly notice differences. I can still shoot really well with no glasses, though, despite the fact I'm nearly 40. I think they were just required to hand out glasses to 95% of the people.

Wed May 27, 2015 11:12 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Cool, thanks. Must really suck to be turned away for medical reasons when you signed up voluntarily. I mean, it means that it was either your ambition to be in the army or that you didn't really see many other options - and in both cases having that ambition/path torpedoed must be quite a blow.

For comparison's sake, back in the time Belgium (and many other EU countries) still had mandatory military service, people would often very actively try to get off on a medical. Some people even starved themselves for several months before they had to enter the army, so they would be too physically weak and turned down after basic training. But other semi-BS stuff like flat feet were also routinely used.

So yeah, very different perspective from those who signed up willingly I imagine.

- Coach

Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next