It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Estonia at its best.. 
Felix Rex

Post Re: Estonia at its best..
Yea, I imagine most people were pretty down about not making it. But man, you had to either really mess yourself up physically or have some serious mental issues to not make it through basic. The former certainly happens... basic training is not physically easy, by any means, especially for your stereotypical couch potato. But man, you wouldn't believe some of the 'winners' that didn't make it. Like the 6'5" skinny dude that pissed himself because he was afraid to go outside during the field exercise, or the numerous people that threatened to commit suicide. Or the guy that was kicked out of AIT because the idea of powering down a generator before playing around with the electrical systems of a missile launcher was too difficult to grasp.

er, back on topic... Estonia!

Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:23 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

Immediately after Siil exercise, the naval operation Open Spirit 2015 began. I was station onboard a mine hunter for about two weeks. We found three mines and detonated them. In total over 200 were found and more than 50000 mines remain. In addition to mine hunting we were also visited by Nato's battle group which carries enormous amount of firepower mega-rarely seen around these parts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing_N ... me_Group_2

On behalf of Nato maritime command:

Operation OPEN SPIRIT is an annual, combined and joint Explosive Remnants of War (ERW) clearance operation conducted in the spirit of Partnership for Peace and hosted on a rotational basis by one of three Baltic State NATO members: Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.Operation OPEN SPIRIT 2015 is led by the Estonian Naval Flotilla (ENF) and is taking place in the territorial waters and exclusive economic zone of Estonia. This year’s operation will be based out of Simisti Harbour on the Estonian Island of Muhu from May 15-28, 2015. The countries participating in Operation OPEN SPIRIT 2015 include: Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Latvia, Lithuania, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Sweden, and the United States of America. The aims of Operation OPEN SPIRIT are to reduce the threat of unexploded ordnance (UXO) throughout the Baltic Sea region, foster goodwill, and to support an important relationship with our security and defence partners.The Baltic Sea region saw heavy fighting during the First and Second World Wars, which included air bombardment, naval gunfire support, mine-laying, and submarine warfare.

Be well or Get Help!!

Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:47 am
Stranger

Here's the dutch warship heading for home. And the ship is just awesome, completely space age tech for us :D

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Be well or Get Help!!

Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:57 am
Minor Diety

What's so high tech about it?

The crazy thing for me is that Holland actually has submarines in its navy. I knew a guy who worked on one for a while. It just seems like such a pointlessly specialized branch of a relatively small army. Then again, the Dutch are sailors and explorers through and through, historically.

Wtf was Belgium doing at this excercise? Minesweeping? Cause that's about the only thing our navy is good at hahaha.

- Coach

Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:44 pm
Minor Diety

Satis wrote:
Yea, I imagine most people were pretty down about not making it. But man, you had to either really mess yourself up physically or have some serious mental issues to not make it through basic. The former certainly happens... basic training is not physically easy, by any means, especially for your stereotypical couch potato. But man, you wouldn't believe some of the 'winners' that didn't make it. Like the 6'5" skinny dude that pissed himself because he was afraid to go outside during the field exercise, or the numerous people that threatened to commit suicide. Or the guy that was kicked out of AIT because the idea of powering down a generator before playing around with the electrical systems of a missile launcher was too difficult to grasp.

er, back on topic... Estonia!

Sounds like a pretty normal reflection of society to me.

It's easy to forget that we tend to hang out with people who are like us - that is, of more or less the same intelligence and viewpoints. It's only rarely that we are forced to deal with people who we would never naturally hang out with. The army seems a good example, and in the line of work I work in (customer care) it's the same. It's the bottom of the barrel. People writing in asking if the caption 'your password is confidential' means if their password is 'confidential', stuff like that. Double facepalmingly stupid shit like that.

I find that quite a large part of the population is incredibly retarded or otherwise handicapped. Seems like you met a few at basic training. :)

- Coach

Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:48 pm
Felix Rex

Remember that 50% of the human race is below average. :roll:

Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:35 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

Quote:
People writing in asking if the caption 'your password is confidential' means if their password is 'confidential', stuff like that. Double facepalmingly stupid shit like that.

LOL!

Be well or Get Help!!

Last edited by Peltz on Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:03 am
Stranger

The worlds tallest regular pine grows in Estonia clocking in 46,6 meters. The patrol vessel i did my navy training on was around 32 meters for comparison. In addition, in close proximity grows the tallest tree in Estonia, a regular spruce (christmas tree), who clocks in 48,6 meters.

Edit: Both trees are over 200 years young, considering that there are trees that are over 2 or 3 thousand years of age.

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:57 am
Felix Rex

Does that mean that Yggdrasil grows in Estonia too?

That reminds me (obliquely) that I read an article about an Estonian company making modular military drones build around tank treads. Stick guns on it, or a manipulator, etc etc. Pretty neat, plus it's Estonian, so it made me think of you.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/02/17/the-modular-themis-mini-tank-can-be-whatever-you-need-it-to-be/

Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:14 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

Nah, the tallest tree in the world is in US currently, i think around 120meters tall. So no, the home of yggdrasil would be the US.

EDIT: There's also a company which manufactures lightweight, durable, somewhat portable & buriable bomb shelters as well. Somehow we are becoming a mil-industrial country. Here's to hoping that the business goes lousily.

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:59 pm
Felix Rex

hah. With such a friendly neighbor, I'm not surprised you have a burgeoning defense industry. Let's hope Russia remembers the winter war and stays away from eastern Europe.

Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:32 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

Remembering won't be happening on their 6 second memory. Dmitri Medvedev (the prime minister of Russia) recently accused the three baltic states of creating unnecessary Russian paranoia. I mean seriously, they literally invade Ukraine and then point fingers and call paranoia??

And then there's the EU. Who now declines applications of ukrainian refugees from the warzone. Apparently a bunch villagers with AK47s and shoulder-fired grenade launchers is considered a war BUT tanks, air defence missiles, massive artillery fire, drone spying, helicopter attacks, etc. is considered as an isolated skirmish. Da fuq is going on in Europe.

Be well or Get Help!!

Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:35 am
Minor Diety

Yep, hypocrisy is everywhere my friend. Who knows what the priorities or goals of those in power are. At least we can all agree they're not the common good. :-D

Russia has a much more demented world view than most of us outside of it realize. In the official state canon version, several states (like the Baltics) are just part of historical Russia, and it's only natural that Russia should try to take them back. Country is still living in the mindset a freaking century ago. Don't forget that it was by far the last country to revolt against absolute royal rule in the area - the French revolution was in the late 18th century, the Russian one in the early 20th. No wonder they still think in terms of 'great leaders' and 'historical right'. Scumbags.

- Coach

Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:58 am
Stranger

Be well or Get Help!!

Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:50 pm
Minor Diety

Good stuff. :-) Thanks for that! Having been in Estonia (well, Tallinn) briefly twice already I can attest that what I've seen of it is pretty nice. :) Music reminded me of the witcher, too. :P

- Coach

Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next