It makes sense now - Ukraine 
Stranger

Post It makes sense now - Ukraine

Be well or Get Help!!

Tue May 13, 2014 11:35 pm
Minor Diety

Post Re: It makes sense now - Ukraine
Haha excellent man.

The media here is taking a subtle cold-war-esque stance, disapproving of Russia and this destabilisation. All without addressing any form of discussion around popular favour for the argument, rendering any information we have here impotent.

Would be nice to hear your view on it P.

Wed May 14, 2014 3:45 pm
Felix Rex

Over here, it's "peaceful democracy prevails in Ukraine only to have Putin with Soviet imperialist desires invade and annex Crimea, then send provocateurs into eastern Ukraine in an effort to carve off even more. Meanwhile, Obama and the EU are a bunch of pansies and allowing this to happen". Or something along those lines. This is mostly internet news, of course. I'm not sure the local news (on tv) even covers it.

Mon May 19, 2014 11:29 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

Actually here we see it a bit differently. As far as I can tell, the US has done quite a bit more than expected for us (Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania) and in doing so has made the EU look like a bunch of incompetent cowards. In fact i believe quite a few south-western EU countries would be happy to sell the baltic three back to Russia for gas and oil. And the fact that we gave them a big "fuck you" with our strict national budget and lack of foreign debt doesn't help much either.

But the US has kept a very clear "hands off Putin" stance regarding us and our thanks go to you and your fellow countrymen for that. But it probably has something to do with the fact that Estonia is one of the few Nato countries that actually meets the 2% quota and we have mandatory conscription service. Out of 27 EU countries only 5 have it as far as I know.

Not sure if you know but the US deployed soldiers in the baltic three. It was pretty much the news for a week or so. And one of the soldiers made it front page because he had never seen snow before, i think he was from Florida. But all in all we are worried. The French want to sell and probably will sell warships to russia that have been designed for troop landing operations. It is just fucking awesome when your allies sell stuff to a nation who has publicly declared that the baltic three are their ..mm how did they put it...objects of interest. Woohoo.

What the other europeans don't want to acknowledge is that the price of being part of the glorious russian empire equals to natinal suicide. So when we make noise in the european parliament or wherever it is not because we blame everything on russia but because it is a fight for survival. I mean look at the map, there is only one country the europeans arm themselves against. There is no other threat than one.

Btw did you know that the russian minister of defence is the highest ranking military officer. Whoops, there goes the fundamental principle of democracy.

Be well or Get Help!!

Tue May 20, 2014 4:52 am
Minor Diety

Peltz wrote:
Btw did you know that the russian minister of defence is the highest ranking military officer. Whoops, there goes the fundamental principle of democracy.

Yeah, but I don't think anyone with half a brain would mistake Russia for a democracy. :lol:

Quote:
Stalin's ghost appears to Putin in a dream, and Putin asks for his help running the country. Stalin says,
"Round up and shoot all the democrats, and then paint the inside of the Kremlin blue."
"Why blue?" Putin asks.
"Ha!" says Stalin. "I knew you wouldn't ask me about the first part."

- Coach

Tue May 20, 2014 2:42 pm
Felix Rex

Interesting. It's nice to hear how things are interpreted elsewhere. I didn't know we had troops in the Baltic 3 (err, I couldn't say what countries those actually are). I did however know that we had "join military exercises" going on in eastern Europe, and I think we may have Naval assets in the vicinity. Imo, facing down Putin over Ukraine is the equivalent of facing down Khrushchev over Germany... absolutely necessary even if we risk a bigger confrontation. Because ultimately, I think Russia realizes it can't win and will back down. The fact Crimea was lost without a shot fired (more or less) is pretty weaksauce, though.

Tue May 20, 2014 4:01 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

Quote:
The fact Crimea was lost without a shot fired (more or less) is pretty weaksauce, though.

These two countries had joint military exercises against NATO for decades, it was the only possible outcome. Ukraine has traitors across every conceivable command structures thus there is no way to know who is loyal to who. Their former president, who probably hasn't even baked a cake in his life, had 200 million US dollars in a foreign bank account, another official had 43kg of high grade goldin his appartment. By the time the tidewater receded and loyalties became apparent it was too late for Crimea.

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed May 21, 2014 6:21 am
Felix Rex

Peltz wrote:
...who probably hasn't even baked a cake in his life...

Ok, I have to admit, I have no idea where that came from. Does this have some special meaning, or just a jab at him being a coddled rich douche?

Wed May 21, 2014 9:38 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

Even the wealthiest of EU nation heads do not have 200 million us dollars on their bank account. For instance HM Queen Elizabeth net worth is estimated at 550 million US dollars. And she's been at it since pretty much from birth.

From Wikipedia.
Quote:
Viktor F. Yanukovych was born in the village of Zhukovka near Yenakiieve in Donetsk Oblast, Ukrainian SSR, Soviet Union. He endured a very hard childhood about which he has stated, "My childhood was difficult and hungry. I grew up without my mother who died when I was two. I went around bare-footed on the streets. I had to fight for myself every day."

So where da fuck he got the two hundred million dollars? The next part is about the current crisis and the exodus of the president.

Quote:
Yanukovych abandoned his large Mezhyhirya estate[166] he had acquired in a former forest preserve near Kiev in 2007, according to critics through a convoluted series of companies and transactions. Yanukovych did not reveal the price he paid, although he called it a "very serious price".[167]

Protesters walked unchallenged into the former president's office and residential compounds after police and security left their posts in Kiev. Protesters had free access to government buildings, and to the presidential mansion and estate. They were amazed at the opulence and extravagance of what they found, including a private zoo, a fleet of cars, and a large boat.

Be well or Get Help!!

Last edited by Peltz on Wed May 21, 2014 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 21, 2014 11:04 am
Minor Diety

Satis feels insecure because he hasn't baked a cake in his life either!
Come on, start pre-heating that oven. Show Shiny you're the man! :wink:

Back to the post:
When i read it i didn't feel it was a weird expression, probably since i'm not using english that much. It felt like an expression that people could use to say he hasn't really accomplished anything in his life (that he had to work for himself anyway). So coddled rich douche about sums it up.

~King of Thieves~

Wed May 21, 2014 11:06 am
Stranger

Quote:
In a feature with photos on Yanukovych's Mezhyhirya mansion estimated to have cost more than $75 million U.S. dollars, Sergii Leshchenko notes, "For most of [Yanukovych's] career he was a public servant or parliament deputy, where his salary never exceeded 2000 US dollars per month." Under a photo showing the new home's ornate ceiling, Leschenko remarks, "In a country where 35% of the population live below the poverty line, spending 100 000 dollars on each individual chandelier seems excessive, to say the least." Crowned with a pure copper roof, the mansion was the largest wooden structure ever created by Finnish log home builder Honka, whose representative suggested to Yanukovych that it be nominated for the The Guinness Book of Records. The property contained a private zoo, underground shooting range, 18-hole golf course, tennis, and bowling. After describing the mansion's complicated ownership scheme, the article author noted, "The story of Viktor Yanukovych and his residence highlights a paradox.

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed May 21, 2014 11:14 am
Stranger

Quote:
Yanukovych has an estimated net worth of $12 billion

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed May 21, 2014 11:17 am
Felix Rex

I have no doubt that guy is a megadouche. Probably paid off by Russia to weaken Ukraine's military too, but who knows. I hope he gets nabbed and extradited back to Ukraine for a nice, public trial and execution. However, that's unlikely. He'll probably live out his life in opulence somewhere in Russia.

Thu May 22, 2014 9:50 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]