It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Shitting Bricks 
Minor Diety

Post Shitting Bricks
Definition:

1. Department makes 3 people redundant in the space of 12 months, immediately replacing them with someone external with a very similar job title.
2. Being called to a private and informal meeting with the recruitment manager, where upon I am notified of a potential opportunity for mentoring, development and promotion.
3. The same recruitment manager is made redundant 2 weeks after the meeting.

Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:10 pm
Stranger

Post Re: Shitting Bricks
Well, I'd take that as a sign that new challenges await. Who knows, might be for the best :D.

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:54 pm
Minor Diety

So basically everyone you talk to and/or work with directly is being fired? Yeah, I can see how that makes you shit brick-like objects.

What is your 'importance' to the company compared to these people though? Are you a knowledge holder? Recruitment managers are relatively replaceable, but if you have vital insight in the processes and procedures then you might be in a good position to weather this storm.

(Not that that will stop a crazy person from firing anyone if they get it in their head...my boss has fired a few semi-irreplaceable people in the last few months because of personal vendettas with them. But then again she seems to be pretty batshit insane that way, something your boss hopefully isn't)

Like Peltz said though, might be worth looking at other jobs 'just in case'. If something does happen you don't want to it to take ages before you find a half decent job again.

- Coach

Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:49 am
Minor Diety

The 4 people were relatively senior compared to me:

Person 1 = £35k was around for a few months, replaced by 1 more senior person and 1 more junior.
Person 2 = £35k was around for a few months, replaced by 1 more senior person (Person 4).
Person 3 = £50k was around for 10 years, replaced by 1 more senior person.
Person 4 = £50k was around for a few months, replaced by 1 more senior person.

I am a knowledge-holder to some degree, but I think not to any significance in my opinion. I've only been around a year and a half.

It's not so much the redundancy that's bugging me now... it's the meeting with the recruitment manager. The way that meeting went, it sounded like they wanted to start grooming me for a top slot in the organisation. So for 2 weeks i've been as high as a kite, and now I don't know where I am.

I had a word with my boss today and told her of the meeting and said I now need some no BS clarity on my future, and this meeting I had with the recruitment manager. She will have a word with the director and let me know.

Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]