Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Organized Crime. 
Stranger

Post Organized Crime.

Be well or Get Help!!

Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:09 am
Minor Diety

Post Re: Organized Crime.
heh :) why not in the funny stuff thread though?

Rock Band [35%]
http://www.cafepress.com/SmeepProducts

Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:11 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

It deserved a topic of its own.

Be well or Get Help!!

Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:13 am
Stranger

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:30 pm
Minor Diety

Lol at that blatant racism. I've got my own real life organised crime story - the post office me and my mum used to work in had a lot of different fraudulant post masters, the "best" ones being Phil and Di who had away with £21,000 plus enough to pay for a new convertible and a 3 week ballooning trip over Africa... they got 6 months community service and didn't even have to pay it back.

Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:51 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

I don't think it's racism, per se. Maybe classism. Plenty of white people get the shaft over here... it's about who you are and how much money you make. I hate the crap. I wish these people would get prison sentences commensurate with the pain and suffering they caused.

Financial execs - death sentence!
Ponzi schemers - death sentence!
Embezzlers - death sentence!
Congressmen - death sentence!

They should obviously all be tried in Texas, where we hand out death sentences like candy. In the words of Socrates... "I drank what!?"

Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:41 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

Considering that greed is the most important drive in capitalistic society, Texas would be a very very lonely place if Satis had his way :D

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:55 am
Minor Diety

hehe, true, but there is greed and there is excessive greed. I'd say screwing people over to become rich (which is essentially waht the people he described do) would fall under the latter. Besides I don't mind people working hard to get a lot of money - but it's when wages of employees (not business owners) like managers and politicians in office start getting out of hand that we need to say 'enough'. No one's work is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars a month - imho. Not to mention expense accounts, million-dollar bonuses and massive severance fees.

- Coach

Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:28 am
Stranger

I agree on the manager salaries and such but you have to consider that in a privately owned company, its the absolute freedom for an owner to pay as much as he wants to whoever he wants. If he believes that such amount paid in salary brings in the results he or she wants to see then its their right to do so. As an outside observer you can like it or not but it really is none of your concern, acknowledge it and move on. Or have a face to face chat with your inner envy :D.

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:51 pm
Minor Diety

I agree that would be the case if we're talking about a real person owning a firm here and thus has its future interests at heart and takes responsibility for it, but that is in the vast majority of multinational businesses no longer the case at all. They're (co-owned) by conglomerates and holdings who are all part of the 'system', not specific people who evaluate their own business and grant wages accordingly. It's really not very different from politics: the people in the board can raise the wages of the board just like government representatives can raise theirs, without too much to keep them from doing so. The shareholders don't care as long as they see an overall profit. Now, that (profit) may be a sign of good management, but we all know that is not necessarily the case - economic upturn, dumb luck, cutting on employee costs etc.

So, we've come to an economy where it's no longer important to deliver quality products (if you're a manufacturer) as long as the shareholders see a yearly profit. So yeah, no wonder everything's in the gutter. The overpaid managers in private companies are a symptom of this culture of money over performance. Besides, if we're gonna say that private companies can pay whatever want, what kind of manager will ever want to manage a government agency anymore? The pay will be ridiculously small in comparison. That can't be good.

- Coach

Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:09 pm
Stranger

Quote:
what kind of manager will ever want to manage a government agency anymore

There are more people than there are manager jobs so i wouldn't worry about that.

Quote:
So, we've come to an economy where it's no longer important to deliver quality products (if you're a manufacturer) as long as the shareholders see a yearly profit.

Yes but one has the right to choose differently, one has the opportunity to research before purchase. Also as the manager, its their duty to increase the value of the company for the owners. IF they can get away with low quality products within what is considered good practice or within the laws and customs of the country then can you really blame them. It is not their job to educate the consumer nor do their homework. After all capitalism also includes the right for the consumer to be a total uneducated fool.

I do not approve of taking advantage of people but I cant really blame the companies. The only thing I can do is to make sure I research my products, never buy vanity items (Alienware fail! :D) and buy stuff I need or makes annoying things less annoying.

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:00 pm
Felix Rex

Ok, so I kinda skipped over the arguments, but what's wrong with Alienware? I actually plan on buying an Alienware laptop in March. :)

Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:30 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

Vanity item :D. You can get the same performance for a whole lot less. Mine's sitting in the corner with a busted GPU.

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:03 am
Minor Diety

Peltz wrote:
There are more people than there are manager jobs so i wouldn't worry about that.

Yeah but it means the shitty ones will end up in the government jobs haha!

Peltz wrote:
Yes but one has the right to choose differently, one has the opportunity to research before purchase. Also as the manager, its their duty to increase the value of the company for the owners. IF they can get away with low quality products within what is considered good practice or within the laws and customs of the country then can you really blame them. It is not their job to educate the consumer nor do their homework. After all capitalism also includes the right for the consumer to be a total uneducated fool.

But 'company value' is these days determined more by its stock prices (that is, perception of the company and the market) than its actual long-term performance...so the manager's job is to make the company look good and to get short-term profits, potentially at the cost of long-term viability. And whle you're of course right that people have a right to buy whatever they want, I don't think it's as simple as that. I do believe in protecting people from themselves to some extent - and in limiting the room to play for companies when it comes to exploiting customer weaknesses. I guess we just have different visions on the role of the government. :)

- Coach

Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:03 am
Stranger

As long as there are no tangible codes of ethics or some such, the role of the government is to fail over and over. For a country the size of Estonia it is even more funnier because our government officials don't have the luxury of anonymity, I mean they are someone's siblings, brothers, sisters and they all fail to notice that their family member is on the take. Not possible, this shit is just not possible. Whenever i read about another corruption charge i always wonder how come their family didn't see it coming or how come they didn't do anything, did they really believe this shit is gonna disappear magically or go away when every second grade politician in this country gets busted for fraud and whatnot. Just unbelievable. Bad parenting, lack of moral values, set for life :D.

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next