It is currently Thu Oct 10, 2024 2:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Universal constants may not be so constant 
Felix Rex

Post Universal constants may not be so constant
Really cool. Basically, there are various universal constants we kinda take for granted... like the speed of light in a vacuum and the charge of an electron. However, there's belief that as the universe changed, these constants changed as well, so they're not nearly as constant as we think they are.

http://arstechnica.com/science/news/201 ... really.ars
Quote:
One of the most dissatisfying aspects of modern physics is the fundamental constants. It's not that they are constant that bothers anyone, it is their very existence that is offensive to right-thinking people. Fundamental constants are needed to get working versions of the mathematical models we use to explain our observations. But their values are entirely derived from experimental measurements. There is no theory that predicts the value of fundamental constants like the speed of light or Planck's constant.

To make matters worse, we cannot even be sure that the fundamental constants are constant. A recent paper in Physical Review Letters presents an analysis of astronomical data indicating that either the fundamental constants do change—but not in some simple, easily measured fashion—or there is something very wrong with their analysis.

much more at the link, obviously.

Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:06 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Post Re: Universal constants may not be so constant
That's pretty cool. I think I read a year or two ago that there has been speculation among (astro)physicists about the constants not exactly being 'constant' for years - since it would explain a lot of stuff they couldn't really solve - but that the problem was that they couldn't really prove it. This may be it then.

- Coach

Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]