It is currently Sat Oct 12, 2024 8:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
woman that killed and ate her husband denied parole 
Felix Rex

Post woman that killed and ate her husband denied parole
Quote:
A woman who killed, dismembered and cooked her husband, then ate his body parts, told a parole board: "I am not a monster."

Omaima Nelson, 43, sought parole after 20 years behind bars, but the board rejected her request and she will remain in state prison on a term of 27 years to life for second-degree murder.

The hearing did give Nelson an opportunity to discuss the gruesome crime at a Costa Mesa apartment in 1991.

She insisted that her husband, William, was trying to strangle her when she hit him with a lamp, stabbed him with scissors and killed him.
"If I didn't defend my life, I would have been dead. I'm sorry it happened, but I'm glad I lived," said the one-time model from Egypt. "I'm sorry I dismembered him."

She denied eating her husband, despite testimony by her psychiatrist at her trial. "I swear to God I did not eat any part of him. I am not a monster," she said.

Orange County prosecutors opposed her release, saying she was still a danger to society.

source: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2 ... nster.html

Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:39 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Post Re: woman that killed and ate her husband denied parole
Lol what. We have a few notorious murderers here too (tho I'm sure not of the US calibre, given the population size difference) who try to get out on good behavior every few years too. The maximum sentence in Belgium is life (28 years or so?) and sentences do not stack, so they theoretically can get out before they die of old age and make appeals for shortened sentences*...so they all try to get off on good behavior. :roll: Knowing full well no one is going to release them back into society.

* of course in practice the true serial killers and psychopaths are never released back into society, and are held in custody indefinitely on psychiatric advice etc

- Coach

Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:03 am
Felix Rex

As I'm sure you know, the US prison system is out of control. As is our murder rate and whatnot. A shame, really. I wish they'd just legalize all drugs and let all the poor users out. It'd save so much money and space.

Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:25 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

From wikipedia

Quote:
The United States of America has an incarceration rate of 743 per 100,000 of national population (as of 2009), the highest in the world. In comparison, Russia has the second highest 577 per 100,000, Canada is 123rd in the world with 117 per 100,000, and China has 120 per 100,000. While Americans only represent about 5 percent of the world's population, one-quarter of the entire world's inmates are incarcerated in the United States.

Sheesh! So close(ish) to 1 in every 100 people in the US is in jail? That does seem like a massive burden on society. I would imagine that also means that almost everyone knows at least someone who's been in jail, but then the jailbirds are probably predominantly parts of certain groups. Young black males for example.

Well I knew it was bad, but not this bad. To think we have big problems with lack of prison space (and funding) for our prison system here, to the point that almost all minor offenders just do their time at home with an electronic ankle thingie. :roll: Seems a little silly compared to those numbers.

- Coach

Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:25 am
Felix Rex

Rinox wrote:
I would imagine that also means that almost everyone knows at least someone who's been in jail, but then the jailbirds are probably predominantly parts of certain groups. Young black males for example.

lol, jeez man.

http://www.bop.gov/news/quick.jsp

Inmates By Race
White: 127,568 (58.6 %)
Black: 82,371 (37.9 %)
Native American: 3,992 (1.8 %)
Asian: 3,651 (1.7 %)

*edit* interesting stats for type of offenses:

Types of Offenses back to top

Drug Offenses: 102,580 (50.6 %)
Weapons, Explosives, Arson: 30,756 (15.2 %)
Immigration: 24,311 (12.0 %)
Robbery: 8,403 (4.1 %)
Burglary, Larceny, Property Offenses: 7,161 (3.5 %)
Extortion, Fraud, Bribery: 10,480 (5.2 %)
Homicide, Aggravated Assault, and Kidnapping Offenses: 5,563 (2.7 %)
Miscellaneous: 1,800 (0.9 %)
Sex Offenses: 9,697 (4.8 %)
Banking and Insurance, Counterfeit, Embezzlement: 892 (0.4 %)
Courts or Corrections: 630 (0.3 %)
Continuing Criminal Enterprise: 517 (0.3 %)
National Security: 95 (0.0 %)

Yea... I bet you that 102,580 would drop by a massive margin if drugs were decriminalized.

Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:34 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Haha, hey I'm not being racist...iirc they are massively overrepresented in the prison system. A mix of socio-economic and cultural issues and racism, I'm sure.

Quote:
About 10.4% of the entire African-American male population in the United States aged 25 to 29 was incarcerated, by far the largest racial or ethnic group—by comparison, 2.4% of Hispanic men and 1.2% of white men in that same age group were incarcerated. According to a report by the Justice Policy Institute in 2002, the number of black men in prison has grown to five times the rate it was twenty years ago. Today, more African-American men are in jail than in college. In 2000 there were 791,600 black men in prison and 603,032 enrolled in college. In 1980, there were 143,000 black men in prison and 463,700 enrolled in college.

So basically, if you are a black young man chances are extremely high you know someone who's in jail or was in it. About 10 times as high as for the rest of the population.

And lol @ 50% of all prisoners being in jail for drug related offences...is possessing (small amounts of) marihuana something that can lead to jailtime? Or is it just large amounts and/or dealing?

- Coach

Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:42 am
Felix Rex

I think it depends. the difference between being a dealer and being a user many times comes down to the quantity...and I can tell you from personal experience that many users buy in large quantities for various reasons... it's cheaper, if you buy less often you're less likely to get caught, etc.

However, typically speaking, you wouldn't go to jail for smoking weed. Unless maybe you got busted over and over again. Or you happened to have some crack on you too.

Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:12 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

So basically, the biggest danger is in buying a month-long supply and then getting pulled over for a routine check. I bet people drive really carefully after buying their supplies. :roll:

- Coach

Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:09 am
Felix Rex

People are idiots. I bet most of those drug offenses that are in jail are morons that did something really stupid and got caught... like buying a quarter pound of pot, then getting high while driving down the road with their pot in the passenger's seat.

Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:42 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]