It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 603 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 41  Next
Cool Stuff 
Felix Rex

Post Re: Cool Stuff
That's nothing new to me, but it's nice hearing it from an author. I wish more people would get that.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:36 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Aside from the obvious Rinox-ness of this guy, this 2 min video is pretty cool.

Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:21 pm
Minor Diety

You bastard. But yeah, that is pretty sweet. I didn't get it until the end. :)

- Coach

Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:11 pm
Minor Diety

Not sure what made me laugh more, the fact that derf branded the guy with "rinox-ness" and watching the video then brought me to tears of joy, or the fact that Rinox didn't get it until the end! hahaha

Rock Band [35%]
http://www.cafepress.com/SmeepProducts

Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:35 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

lol, yea. Jeez Ox, how much you been drinking lately? :wink:

Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:33 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Pff. :P I still kinda wonder what makes up his 'Rinox-ness' though...is it the fact that he's an asshole, a retard, wearing a bowler hat, or really everything together? :roll:

- Coach

Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:24 am
Minor Diety

It's the whole package :) A brute, Frankish asshole.

Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:33 am
Minor Diety

Haha, jeez. :lol:

On another note: and you thought you were Alpha

http://warmingglow.uproxx.com/2011/02/b ... rom-nature

- Coach

Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:16 am
Felix Rex

lolz... that dude and survivorman are pretty awesome. Though survivorman is probably more realistic... and whines more.

Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:28 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:02 pm
Felix Rex

haha, that's pretty awesome. I like watching enormous amount of energy cause havoc and destruction.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:11 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

wowzers, the power!

Tell me about it. Back in the machining factory my family owns in italy, in a drawer they keep a 5 inch half-circle chunk of swarf, 1 cm thick (steel). They found it in a used desk they bought and had delivered (random i know) and were totally flabbergasted as to how that thing could have been made. To date, they don't really know. I mean you can hold the thing in your hand and stare at it all day, it's so fascinating the amount of energy that must have been used to make it. I think the only conclusion they came to is that it must have happened as a result of a major machine failure.

Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:16 am
Minor Diety

Anyone care to explain swarfs to me? The quick version, so I don't have to wiki it. I'm not familiar with them (or I have never heard of the English term, perhaps). :)

Sometimes it's fun to just stand somewhere and look at something that is in many ways not very impressive (like the thing Derf mentioned) but if you consider what's behind it all just blows you away. Malta is home to the oldest known man-made (free-standing) structures in the world, some of them 5000-6000 years old. Nowadays they are to some extent just a patterned series of rocks, but just to stand there and think that as long as 6000 years ago people were building those things and living/worshipping in them makes you feel really really small. They actually are presumed to have been covered with a wooden roof and painted with red ochre on the inside, and archeologists still aren't sure how people from that era managed to transport and arrange some of the massive rocks used in them. Interestingly, they also seem to have been built to align with the sun's position on the solstices - suggesting a level of architecture tought out before construction that is almost unbelievable (given that the temples took decades to fully build).

The (most important) temples as they look today:

Hagar Qim

Mnajdra

Ggantija

They all were built in similar ways, with one main room with apses and a smaller inner sactum with apses. There's actually one site that shows a similar temple design but carved out entirely out of (soft rock). I went there this year. Pretty impressive.

Hypogeum

- Coach

Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:56 am
Minor Diety

nice stuff on Malta.

FYI - Swarf is the material you remove from the a machining process:

Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:30 pm
Felix Rex

ah, I didn't know that either. Learn a little more every day. At least some days. Hopefully learning more than I forget due to alcohol.

Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:52 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 603 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 41  Next