It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 607 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
Cool Stuff 
Felix Rex

Post Re: Cool Stuff
You know what people say to me? "Who the hell are you?"

Thu May 25, 2023 7:48 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:42 am
Minor Diety

That's some level of autistic perseverance right there :lol: Pretty cool stuff but clearly also a bit ridiculous. It's reminiscent of building an insanely convoluted trap or magma pump system in Dwarf Fortress...the end result is definitely not worth the hours and frustration, but at least you can tell everyone you did it.

- Coach

Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:37 am
Felix Rex

Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:07 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Really cool. I doubt we're still gonna see/do it in our lifetime, but who knows? I'm sure my grandparents couldn't have imagined a man landing on the moon or even cheap commercial flight when they were born, let alone the internet. And people are still living longer. That is assuming most or all of us don't get wiped out before that time of course. :roll:

I particularly liked the 'curved' pool. Must be so trippy to swim in that and to see the water bend but act normally.

- Coach

Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:31 am
Felix Rex

Oh yea... the curved pool, low/micro gravity. Oh man, that stuff is so awesome. I would kill to experience it.

Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:43 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Ridley Scott + Joaquin Phoenix + Napoleon = Hopefully really cool movie? :)

- Coach

Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:51 pm
Felix Rex

Hmmm.. interesting. I'd give it a watch.

Have you all seen the trailer(s) for Rebel Moon? Very strong Star Wars vibes. I'm not sure if it's going to be awesome or suck. More likely the latter, but I hope I'm wrong.

A slight aside, but whoever decided it was a good idea to put a short trailer of the trailer in front of the trailer should be drug into the woods and fed to the bears.

Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:29 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

For anyone that wasn't aware, SpaceX on Saturday had their second Starship launch, and it was spectacular. Shiny and I watched the livestream because I'm a dork and Shiny humors me (or is also a dork). A lot of the press called it a failure, but those people are freaking idiots... the launch accomplished everything it set out to do and more.

Here's a really cool high-res supercut of various parts, including slow-mo.

If you'd prefer to watch the actual stream

Basically the launch was successful. The launchpad wasn't destroyed this time (win), all 33 engines on the first stage lit and stayed that way through separation (win), hot staging seemed to work (win) and the second stage made it all the way to 150km, which is past the 100km Karman line and quite a bit further. The Karman line being the internationally recognized distance to space.

The booster did blow up shortly after separation, after it had rotated and started boost-back to simulate landing (in the gulf of Mexico because we're not that far yet). I've seen conjecture that the explosion was due to damage sustained during stage separation, or possible issues with the engines due to sloshing of the fuel. I'm sure we'll learn more with time.

The upper stage also blew up, though not until it had reach 150km altitude and was around 24,000km/hr, within about 30 seconds of reaching its intended engine cutoff. From what I've read it automatically self-destructed due to veering off course. I've seen conjectures this was due to damage sustained during the hot-staging, but again, we should know more with time.

So anyway, overall totally awesome and yea, I'm a total space nerd. And for the record Elon Musk is an idiot, but I still love space.

Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:25 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

Be well or Get Help!!

Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:48 pm
Stranger

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:34 am
Minor Diety

Loved that typing video :D

- Coach

Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:43 pm
Stranger

The update comment under the video as well:

Quote:
UPDATE: This week a federal judge ruled that state officials violated the First Amendment when they ordered retired engineer Wayne Nutt to stop talking about math in public.

The First Amendment protects everyone’s right to speak their minds, whether they’re talking about politics or talking about math. If regulators forget that basic fact, IJ always stands ready to remind them.

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:05 am
Stranger

Be well or Get Help!!

Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:43 pm
Stranger

Be well or Get Help!!

Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 607 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next