It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 609 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 41  Next
I hate my job 

Do you hate your job?
Yes, my job sucks 36%  36%  [ 4 ]
No, I enjoy my job 27%  27%  [ 3 ]
It's hell on earth 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
I don't work, I'm a social parasite 27%  27%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 11

I hate my job 
Felix Rex

Post Re: I hate my job
Grats Derf.

BTW, I totally failed to mention that Shiny got a new job as well. She's still doing commercial property management (I don't know if you guys even knew she was doing that at all), but she's with a new company making way more money, managing way more property, and doing way less work. Definitely a win for her. The only negative is it's a much further drive, but for the kind of raise she got switching jobs, it is well, well worth it.

Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:13 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Well well well, looks like we're all moving on up. :)

Congrats to everyone!! Satis, I hope you'll survive the stressful time you're in and come out a golden programming god. :) I feel both envious and sorry for you. ;)

Derf, looks like you've made the right decision man. Very happy to hear that you've taken the job and haven't looked back since. Your trips to Germany and Vienna, are they in nice hotels and with expenses? I imagine so. I can now say that staying in a hotel for work gets old very quickly, so it'd better be a good one.

I know Shiny doesn't usually post on the forum anymore but please relay my best wishes to her. :P Depending on how far the drive is it's probably really worth the change.

As for me, I'm still doing the same job from home and making good money doing so. Was in Bucharest twice in the last few months to visit the outsourcing company, was pretty fun. Needless to say it's very different when you are the client visiting the outsourcer than when you're the outsourcer being visited by the client. :roll:

I've also got an application running with the EU for a low-level position. Already made the cut for the final round out of 450 candidates so pretty chuffed about that, and going to Brussels for further testing next week. Even if I fail miserably it'll have been a financially succesful operation as I'm getting 250 euro for my expenses to travel back and forth. Not sure if I'll take the job if I succeed, will depend on the conditions. But with my current employer very much willing to keep me on I don't really have to do anything, which is a nice feeling.

Hope we can all keep riding this wave haha!

- Coach

Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:15 pm
Minor Diety

So i went to Brussels to do the EU exam and it was quite bizarre. I didn't perform particularly well I felt, so I'm guessing I'm out of the game, but it was a fun experience anyway. And since I was being paid 250 euro to visit my parents (flight cost me 27 euro back and forth) it wasn't a complete waste of time, even if I'd had completely fucked everything up haha.

First part was editing a Dutch text, which went ok, until I accidentally deleted a footnote or two. Whoops. :roll: I couldn't fix it since I only saw it at the end and had run out of time. If there's one part that's gonna fuck me it's that.

Second part was a "competency interview". Had never done one of these, so was struggling at the beginning. Basically they completely forego all the usual abstract general job interview questions and throw out specific scenarios that you then have to answer using experiences in your work/life. Like, sketch situation, present problem, tlak about the outcomen, and then what (if anything) was learned from it. They kept badgering me to be more specific, and part of the format is to push out as many situations in as little time as possible so you even get stressed a bit by the clock. Meh. Felt like I couldn't use my awesome bullshitting skills to improve their opinion of me, but I suppose that's the point of the format. :roll:

Third part was a case study...basically you're given a shitload of info to read, are then asked to draw up a briefing/proposal/plan. I smoked that one, but I got screwed by a keyboard that wasn't functioning properly. Lost the first 5 minutes of the allocated time because of that, and these tests are designed to give you just too little time to do everything perfectly. So yeah, probably will lose some points on the polish, but that's it.

And now it's likely another few months of waiting to see if I even make a reserve list, and then you need to get offered a job. Fucking hell, it's some real Kafka bureaucratic shit up in here. We'll see what happens. I don't necessarily want the job, I'm good as I am. And I like tests of skill and exams, so these things are pretty fun to me. Was amused by all the stressed out people at the exam centre. The only thing I hated about all of this is that I spent a few days 'off' on travelling and taking tests, the rest was just fun fun fun.

- Coach

Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:53 pm
Minor Diety

- gf 20 wks pregnant (girl)
- listed our house for sale today
- made an offer on a house twice the price today
- getting pay rise next month
- getting another pay rise in oct
- job going well
- v. busy at work (need to pull some overtime this weekend)
- waiting for skip to arrive today and load with rubble sacks and junk
- builder is here today doing electrical work
- 2 viewings to go to this afternoon
- need to pressure wash the garden patio today
- tomorrow parents coming over to help with deep clean
- dad will tile kitchen (patch only) tomorrow
- 2 more viewings tomorrow
- loading skip again tomorrow
- monday jess is signing contract with a second estate agent
- tuesday photographer is taking picture of house (for sale)
- report for work due thursday
- dogs seem happy but theyll survive

Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:00 am
Felix Rex

Grats on moving on up. To the east side? To a deluxe apartment in the sky....

No houses for me. I'm still programming. Haven't gotten fired or laid off yet, supposedly I have a raise coming with back pay to January 1st included, though I have no idea what I'm actually getting. We've been in overdrive for about a month, coming toward code-complete at the end of February. Hopefully things calm down a bit then. I'm personally in a good place... I get stuff done in a timely manner and I make it look decent, so I'm in everyone's good graces, at least for the time being. Still hoping that raise is phat.

Beyond that, my life is pretty blah. All I do is work. I really hope that changes in a few weeks. It gets old. But hey, that's what growing up means, right? :roll:

Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:52 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

Quote:
My childhood dream has been fulfilled - I'm now a grown up.
I don't have to wake up at 7:30 inorder to go to school.
I wake up 5:30 to get work on time.

-The Internets!

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:16 pm
Minor Diety

Good to hear you guys are doing fine in your respective lives...even if it can be all work and no play sometimes! Good to hear those promotions are coming up and that you're actually enjoying what you're doing (more or less). :P

I'm still technically freelancing (it's a full time gig for one company, but I'm not contractually employed). Agreed with the company on a higher daily fee and waiting for them to come back with confirmation from HR. Should be a formality though, they need me. So as long as I don't rock the boat too much I don't see why they would drop me other than pretty extreme restructuring or for legal reasons. So basically, still working from home, with the liberty to decide my own schedule, more or less. Being freelance of course also means no work = no income, so it's a double-edged sword. But I'm not huge on big vacations anyway. :) Still putting in (some) overtime every weekend, but I consider it ok as I'm still gaining tons of free time from not having to do a commute.

I'll probably be spending quite some time in Barcelona in the near future too as the company has decided to move their outsourced services there. Not complaining. :-)

Just came back from a 10-day trip to Finland (Helsinki). Pretty cool place! Was a balmy -15 Celcius when I was there haha, the sea froze over. I'll upload some stuff later. I considered hopping on a ferry to Tallin to meet Peltz and stock up on cheap booze, but in the end I didn't have the time. :(

- Coach

Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:20 pm
Felix Rex

Jesus, is this really what life is when you get older? You spend all your time working? Ugh.

I'm still working. We just finished code complete, so I get my weekends back, at least for now. Still expected to put in 50+ hours per week, but I guess it's better than the 60+ I've been doing for the last month. I did just get another raise, though. "only" 7%, which is low considering my recent history, but hey, it's not bad, especially considering I just got one 6 months ago. Still haven't hit 6 figures, though. :roll:

Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:46 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Was that a rhetorical question? :D Because unless you are rich as fuck or a hippie, the answer is OF COURSE. ;)

Just came back from 2 gruelling work weeks in Barcelona, but crushed it. Beautiful city too, from the little I've seen of it. Will have to go back in June for another two weeks, and going to Belgium for my brother's wedding next week. The May-June grind strides ever forward. Then after June I'll have a shitload more work because of the transition from the old outsourcer to the new one for at least 3 months, which will be shiiiit. But I have decided not to give so much of a shit about work in the summer, as I'll likely be the only one working anyway at the company. As usual. :roll:

- Coach

Sun May 21, 2017 5:00 am
Minor Diety

Update: I just came back from Belgium. Originally I was going for my brother's wedding as I said, but the wedding was postponed as my my brother's fiancee's mother suffered a serious accident right before it. She was riding her bicycle to the store and was run over by a truck, basically. Didn't see her due to the truck's blind spot, took a turn and...bam. Pretty horrible. She's in a bad state, with several broken bones and a long road ahead of her in terms of physiotherapy, but relatively speaking she's ok. No organ damage, no joint damage, no head trauma. So in a sense it was the best possible outcome of a horrible situation. But the wedding is of course cancelled for now as there's no way she could attend it at the moment. They'll probably do it in the next few months now, so she can be there in a wheelchair at least.

Now I'm looking at another 2 weeks in Barcelona, training another batch. Pffff. Starting to take its toll on me, and as much as it's fun to be at a hotel and eating in a restaurant every day, you get kinda sick of it after a while. Hope the high summer will be less eventful and that I get to spend more time at home.

- Coach

Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:40 am
Felix Rex

Barcelon would be pretty awesome if there weren't so many Spaniards. :roll: Glad you're doing well, though. My job is just a long, long slog. I took a Monday and Tuesday off, so I've got a 4 day weekend to try to regain some of my sanity. I'm not sure it'll be enough.

Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:45 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Sorry to hear it man. Hope you'll have fun in your long weekend!

I'm not really doing that well, but I'm making good money yeah. I guess that's something!

I'm a bit torn since I have to get up early to catch the plane tomorrow, but I also feel like getting wasted. Mmm. I guess I can combine both, as long as I make sure I wake up on time and don't get sick on the plane haha. Not doing anything but sit and wait tomorrow anyway. (have to fly Malta-Munich-Barcelona. At least it's Lufthansa)

- Coach

Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:49 pm
Minor Diety

Good to hear from you guys. Update from be below:

- gf 20 wks pregnant (girl). Due next Monday
- listed our house for sale today. Sold.
- made an offer on a house twice the price today. Should get the keys next week.
- getting pay rise next month. Need more now.
- getting another pay rise in oct. Need ocrober to be here now.
- job going well. Still going well, though i have some other priorities now :)
- v. busy at work (need to pull some overtime this weekend). less busy now.
- waiting for skip to arrive today and load with rubble sacks and junk. done. seems like a thousand years ago
- builder is here today doing electrical work. see above.
- 2 viewings to go to this afternoon. see above.
- need to pressure wash the garden patio today.see above.
- tomorrow parents coming over to help with deep clean. see above.
- dad will tile kitchen (patch only). see above.
- 2 more viewings tomorrow. see above.
- loading skip again tomorrow. see above.
- monday jess is signing contract with a second estate agent. see above.
- tuesday photographer is taking picture of house (for sale). see above.
- report for work due thursday. see above.
- dogs seem happy but theyll survive. they're still alive so i must be doing well.

Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:12 pm
Stranger

1. Working for telecom company. We provide broadband internet, IT management and LoraWan IoT.
2. Work is ok i guess, I'm managing some in-house projects. Mostly enhancing the cooperation between departments.
3. Slowly working my way towards navy lieutenant second grade, currently still ensign. Need to pass physical as well.
4. I hate mowing the lawn. Needs to be done weekly or its a massive jungle.
5. Thursdays are sushi days which is nice :D. We pay for what we ordered but its a good time with the colleagues.

Be well or Get Help!!

Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:35 am
Minor Diety

Good to hear you're doing well and enjoying your job Peltz! :-) And even better to hear about Derf moving up in life, with a kid and a new house!

Now we just need to make sure Satis gets a job that he actually finds interesting and we will all be more or less ok in that department ;-)

Came back from the second 2-week training period in Barcelona. Was way shittier than the first one, mostly due to the fact that they moved into a new office and that it was still a construction site. Worse, the temperature was around 32 degrees (Celsius :P ) the whole time I was there, and there was no AC in the office yet. So I (and everyone else) was literally sweating from morning until evening while trying to whip the new batch of people into shape. Was up to 35 degrees in some of the smaller rooms, really fucking disgusting. Ended up buying fans at my own expense, but I'm gonna charge them to the company. Not my fucking problem they're too cheap to buy them themselves, I was responsible for keeping the new people there and teaching them the ropes. Not gonna be able to do that in a sauna. :roll: Apart from the horrible office stuff I also spent most evenings working at the hotel to keep up with my 'regular' job, but I managed to get a few beers in and visit a few decent restaurants. Barcelona is a really cool place, even with the Spaniards. ;-) Definitely worth visiting, but I'd do it out of the peak tourist season. The city is positively clogged with tourists, and the locals' animosity towards them is clear. :D

Oh yeah, my company also managed to fuck up my booking for the return flight so I had to improvise at the airport, and I ended up seated in the middle of a group of 7 Spaniards on their way to a stag party weekend. Fucking horrible, throwing fries at each other, cursing and shouting and spilling voda over everything. Felt like going berserk and murdering at least one of them, but since I was seated in between them (they were in the rows in front and behind me) and there were 7 of them that wouldn't have ended well for me. :roll: If you're wondering why they weren't seated together: I was in the emergency aisle seat, and I think the people at the checkin realized that they didn't want to have a bunch of blind drunk idiots next to the emergency doors.

- Coach

Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 609 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 41  Next