Do you hate your job?
Yes, my job sucks 36%  36%  [ 4 ]
No, I enjoy my job 27%  27%  [ 3 ]
It's hell on earth 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
I don't work, I'm a social parasite 27%  27%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 11

I hate my job 
Felix Rex

Having never had a job I actually liked, I can't really identify. :P I do know it's pretty easy to fall into that 'safe and familiar' trap and end up working a dead-end job for a lot longer than you should. I've done it. :evil: But finding a new job is a pain in the ass.

Anyway, best of luck with that. Working for peanuts sucks.

Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:12 pm
Profile WWW
Duke

Although I have had one job that I enjoyed. Borders was great fun! Just before I had to quit to come overseas, the management changed and it got a little tiresome, having to show the new boss that I was awesome at my job, just when I had the old one in the bag, hehehe.
But still, books, cds and dvds, loads of fun, but quite detrimental to my savings.

Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:56 am
Minor Diety

Having never had a job I actually liked, I can't really identify. :P I do know it's pretty easy to fall into that 'safe and familiar' trap and end up working a dead-end job for a lot longer than you should. I've done it. :evil: But finding a new job is a pain in the ass.

What I hate the most about it (apart from the "whoring yourself out" part) is that, for some bizarre reason, almost all recruiting procedures on a non-management level take place during the work week/day. I.e., that you need to take time off to MAYBE get a new job. Wtf?

Fact 1: you want a new job, usually because you've seen it all where you are
Fact 2: holidays are a beacon of hope in a crappy job
Fact 3: you have to spend those holidays in order to -maybe- find a new job

:?

Yeah, I know HR people have lives too and would rather not work after office hours and/or in the weekends. But seriously, almost everyone applying for a job is employed already (above mcdonalds type people jobs I mean). Surely this could be taken into account?

Meh...sorry. Just frustrated tales of someone looking for a new job. :P Sometimes I consider just finding a job that might not pay a lot or isn't really ambitious, but fills some of my interests. I know a few people who went to college with me and now work in book stores and the likes. Hardly work you need an education for, but they seem to enjoy themselves well enough.

- Coach

Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:27 am
Felix Rex

I've become used to making decent money... no way could I downgrade. :P

I agree on the during the day thing... I put my resume out on Monster not too long ago and started getting a serious deluge of recruiter calls. I wasn't really even 'actively' looking, just putting it out there.

anyway, the first week I was very aggressive in pursuing the return calls. Then I started caring less and less as none of them panned out. Now they're lucky if I call them back in a week. :roll: I just don't have the time to spend an hour or two after work every freakin' day calling recruiters back, doing phone interviews, answering questionnaires, and in one case even driving downtown for an interview. Blah! I treasure my time away from work.. it's like extra work so I can do more work. Screw it.

Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:07 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

I hear ya, but you shouldnt really stop looking for work once you find work. Remember you are not there to marry the workplace, rather its a means to an end, which should be a more profitable and suitable workplace.

Be well or Get Help!!

Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:32 pm
Felix Rex

Oh, absolutely. I'm just a bit disillusioned with recruiters. These are basically people whose job it is to find people for other jobs... ie, third party guys, not the actual people that would hire me. I was all excited at first but now I'm not so sure.

I'm still looking, though. My current job is almost at a dead end and I really want to make more money. :roll:

Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:39 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

I think they are called head hunters or something.

Be well or Get Help!!

Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:04 pm
Minor Diety

Oh, absolutely. I'm just a bit disillusioned with recruiters. These are basically people whose job it is to find people for other jobs... ie, third party guys, not the actual people that would hire me. I was all excited at first but now I'm not so sure.

I'm still looking, though. My current job is almost at a dead end and I really want to make more money. :roll:

That's bang-on with how I feel.

Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:29 pm
Minor Diety

Heh...I'm so tired of dealing with them that I end up doing mostly civil service exams, lately. :roll: Not exactly what I WANT but meh...they just want you to show a copy of your degree, your passport ID and you're in. The exams are just as arbitrary as any private recruiting, of course. But at least they can't refuse me access to them on a completely arbitrary note ("oh we didn't think you sucked up enough in your application letter"). :P

Man...I hate work. I should just write a bestseller or summit. But then I'd have to do lectures and tours and booksignings. Arf. The horror.

- Coach

Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:55 am
Minor Diety

So, I'm sitting here at work posting on forums and waiting for my boss to get in so I can hand him my resignation letter. Because I'm still (barely) in my trial period that'll mean I'll be officially out of work by the end of this month. :?

I know, it isn't the smartest thing to do in these times. But it was this or have the 'fixed' term of my contract begin, which means another 6 months of so-so pay, no work pleasure whatsoever and lame-ass colleagues. 6 months without any means to give notice, apart from me paying 3k euro (yeah...not gonna happen) or my boss agreeing to a mutual disbanding of my contract (a chance I'm not going to take).

Normally speaking, I'd try to get another deal out of it, having some leverage because this place is already understaffed as it is, but this isn't the private sector. :/ Everything has to run by X amount of people and shit, and in the meantime my contract runs on. So it was a 'take it or leave it' decision pretty much. And I left it.

Let's just hope I didn't make a huge mistake in the current economic climate. But when you hate your job and when you see people with similar degrees as you working jobs that make 300-400 euro nett more than you every month...I didn't want to risk being offered a good job in those 6 months and not being able to go because of my boss not agreeing/me not paying 3 freaking thousand euros.

There's a chance of my boss going completely crazy over this, btw, judging by earlier departures. I can't wait. :roll:

- Coach

Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:16 am
Felix Rex

heh...congratulations I guess. Good luck. I think you just don't like being employed. :roll:

Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:02 am
Profile WWW
Count

Heh - poor Ox - although I must say I am SERIOUSLY underpaid for what I do and my degree etc. So.... I dunno - I figure some money is better than none. I agree the whole contract thing sucks though and is not something I have to deal with - I can quit anytime. Good luck to ya hun!

Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:53 am
Felix Rex

Well, I hate my job too. I really hate my job. And right now I'm hating my coworker something fierce. And I'm hating our UK office for being bricks. And I'm hating my management for piling more and more problems on me like I'm sort of mule.

But I'm paid ok and it's a job. In this economy, many people would love to have what I have. :roll:

Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:24 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Wish I could just quit, hate my frigging job too (though now Christmas is over it won't suck quite so much). Put it this way though, with how retarded the UK system is.

My job basically is in-between management and just a sales assistant. I run the store one day a week and act as a manager that day, and of course get all the ballache that a normal manager would if things are wrong with the store any day. But I get paid as a sales assistant (£5.78 an hour) plus 'keyholder allowance' which for me, works out at ~£90 a month. I'm on a 24 hour a week contract.

So basically, I earn approximately £650 a month, less ~£100 as income tax, less £75 council tax. So overall I gain (before other bills) around £475 a month.

My friend who is unemployed and has been for ages, gets ~£600 a month from her benefits and jobseekers allowance, plus has no council tax to pay. So she effectively earns £125 more than me by doing a big fat sod all.

I have to be fired to get that though, can't quit, and my evil manager won't fire me! I even threatened to spend 3 weeks poking him constantly and he won't fire me! *sulks*

Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:50 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

hehe. Getting fired won't let you collect any unemployment compensation here. You have to be 'laid off'. I was laid off one, and you make a whole lot of nothing. It really sucks. I make more in a week at my current job than I would in a month being unemployed.

But I do get away with being an asshole. People get my 'go the hell away' stare on a regular basis. And I never answer my phone. :roll:

Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:45 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 609 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 41  Next