It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 609 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 41  Next
I hate my job 

Do you hate your job?
Yes, my job sucks 36%  36%  [ 4 ]
No, I enjoy my job 27%  27%  [ 3 ]
It's hell on earth 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
I don't work, I'm a social parasite 27%  27%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 11

I hate my job 
Minor Diety

Hehehe, gotta love that. :) I don't hold quite the position of 'knowledge holder' that you do at your job, but I do enjoy slagging off my colleagues so. I can't help it, it's sometimes the only thing that keeps me going during their excruciating conversations and petty lives. I also manipulate them into doing crazy-ass stuff. And they run with that, for some reason...they seem to have blind faith in what I say or do just because I have a college degree. Yeah, I know I'm a bad person. :(

Re: resignation...I had a good talk with my boss. He was surprisingly cool about it. We even brought up the possibility of a middle road: if I get him to sign a paper saying he will do so, we could perhaps continue the contract and disband the contract on mutual agreement - in that case there would be no financial penalty. I could give a month's notice or something in that case.

I'll have to call HR if that's a practical possibility. If not I'm still outta here. But as much as I hate my job, I'd rather make a little cash in the meantime than risking being unemployed for months. And now the cat is out of the bag anyway, no need to sneak around near my boss.

meh. i wish i was at home playing NWN 2. :P

- Coach

Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:35 am
Felix Rex

well, congrats again, that's a big step. Hope it works out for you. And you better land a decent job this time around. :roll:

Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:16 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

lol. Hey, this place LOOKED decent when I first applied. And it's got some awesome benefits like ridonculous amount of holidays, cheap insurance and flexible work hours and shit. But it's kinda hard to know what the actual work will look like or who my colleagues will be. :)

Let's just say that getting paid more than I'm getting here is a good minimum benchmark for my next job.

- Coach

Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:33 am
Minor Diety

Just to keep you all posted: I managed to cut out a deal. I got my boss to sign a paper which said that he'd agree to a mutual disbanding of my contract with a minor notice period (a month or so) should I hand in my resignation during the remainder of my contract. :)

I don't have a new job lined up yet and he can't replace an employee in a week's time (obviously), so it's the best solution for now. This place may suck monkey balls, but I can stomach some more time here if necessary. Much as I'd like to stay home and play games and apply for jobs, money is nice too. :P Especially given the whole lending-my-brother-a small fortune debacle. :roll:

So, for now, I'm still broadcasting from Civil Service Central every day. :twisted:

- Coach

Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:07 am
Felix Rex

well, good for you. Keep us posted. And remember, you owe Shiny and I a visit. :D

Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:36 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

In that vein: I've got a job 'test' at the US embassy around noon. No idea what to expect, but I suppose it'll be English and general aptitude stuff. Ie, stuff I'll smoke. Read up a little on American history and stuff just to be on the safe side - I know you guys are pretty big on those things. :P

We'll see.

- Coach

Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:59 am
Felix Rex

The US is REALLY big about that kind of stuff for naturalization purposes. Not sure how foreigners working for the embassy, but hey, it'll pay well. Good luck.

Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:21 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

On a brighter note for me, I have 16 days off work now, hooray for holidays! In fact I barely work in March, have 1st - 14th booked off 'just because', have to be off on the 17th for a pre-op assessment and then have my op on 23rd and get 3 days off after that! Hooray!

Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:29 pm
Profile WWW
Count

Damn I'm jealous Pev - I am having to go in early and stay late lately. Very stressed out and would LOVE a day or two off. So stressed! :shock:

Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:07 pm
Minor Diety

But yeah, good going on the 16 days off! I've got about 2 weeks of vacation saved up for this year already, and i'm thinking about taking a holiday or not. I kinda need the days to go apply for new jobs so I can't really blow them all...then again. :roll:

thanks for the job test support in any case! It was pretty ok - research, translation, editing. Should have done well. it's a strange atmosphere though, the embassy is in the centre of Brussels and there's cops EVERYWHERE. Blockade, a ton of regular Belgian cops, then a ton of security firm employees, and then, inside the actual building, marines. I thought "hey, a Satis" when i saw a dude in army fatigues. :P

We'll see how it works out, if it does at all.

- Coach

Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:00 am
Minor Diety

Nah, nothing bad Ox, *hopefully* making it so I can move my elbow a bit better. Turns out it aint the arthritis (completely) that causes all the pain and lack of movement. I have a deformed joint from the injury. So they're gonna try keyhole and if that doesn't work I'll have a full op.

Shiny, that sucks :( I hope it doesn't last too long for you! Do you get paid the extra hours you're doing?

lol at the 'a Satis' comment.

Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:58 am
Profile WWW
Count

Same for you Pev. Satis always makes fun of me for having such a broke body, so I can relate somewhat. But I will hope the lesser of the options works to give you better movement.

As for the military men, LMAO there was a time Satis looked really military. But when his hair is almost to his ass now, it makes me not see that as much. Although he still looks hot in camo.

Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:05 am
Minor Diety

Remind me again ox, where do you work now?

My sister-in-law started to work for the Flemish governement in Brussels somewhere, and from what i'm hearing from it, half of the employes are handicapped, underqualified or burned out. Or a combination of those.

~King of Thieves~

Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:21 am
Minor Diety

Hahaha, well, that's a pretty accurate description of my direct colleagues. :roll: I work for the federal government, but in a branch in Antwerp, not the head office(s) in Brussels.

Man, you wouldn't believe half the shit that's going on here. For one, like your sister-in-law said, it's virtually a collection of people who are pretty much unemployable in other walks of life for various reasons...mentally unstable, obese, competely burnt out. You name it. There are a few young people now but I think they'll be out before the end of their contract too.

Last Friday I took a (good) desk chair home with me because we got new ones and the old ones were going to be destroyed (wtf?). I just walked out the front door with the chair, nobody stopped me. In fact, somebody held the door for me!

I barely ever work. I typically work for 1 hour a day. Without internet and friends I e-mail with I'd go insane. One -imho- mentally retarded colleague makes a point of complaining about everything and everyone to everyone...even when you give her every signal in the book that it doesn't interest you in the least. I don't even answer or look up when she starts to whine anymore, and it still takes her 10 minutes to get the picture.

ON THE BRIGHT SIDE, I got plenty of time to educate myself on a veritable smorgasbord of issues and topics *pets the interwebz*, to organize my social life, apply for jobs and whatnot. It's just too bad I can't read at my desk (too ostensible).

Re: health...hope everything goes well Pev!! It's like every woman in my life is suffering from some sort of physical injury these days...so get better soon dammit! ;) Strangely, I haven't been sick in ages. I'm actually pretty p'od about it...I want a mild flu so I can spend a week at home dammit. :?

- Coach

Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:44 am
Minor Diety

Yeah Ox, what do you do with all those women?

Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 609 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 41  Next