It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 792 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 53  Next
Good films.. 
Stranger

Post Re: Good films..
Watched Need for Speed. The story was cliche, the jump outright ridiculous but the rest was actually likable. I think i was surprised by this movie. And Imogen Poots has a pretty face. :D

Be well or Get Help!!

Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:45 pm
Minor Diety

derf wrote:
Plus, I don't really like the main actor (he looks somewhat freakish) but KEIRA KNIGHTLY i fucking hate with a passion. She has one of those protruding skeletal jaws one only dreams of delivering a shattering right-hook to.

This is possibly the best description I've ever heard of Keira Knightly. :lol: Laughed my ass off.

- Coach

Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:16 am
Stranger

The Brave One - starring Jodie Foster. Quite liked it but it doesn't qualify as a new movie. Awesome Soundtrack. Satis, you go ahead and listen to this one.

Fury - Holy sh*t, I really liked this one. 5/5 from me.

A Million Ways to Die in the West - Definitely worth watching. Had some pretty good laugh out loud moments in it.

Divergent - I was actually surprised by this one. It was fairly predictable but held my attention till the end.

Be well or Get Help!!

Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:05 pm
Felix Rex

If you liked Divergent, Insurgent recently came out. shiny and I saw it in the theaters. More of the same, basically. It's not bad, it's just not good. It's just kinda there. Like the first movie. :roll:

Sorry, I don't like the song.

Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:36 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Divergent was pretty good, but it was funny how both me and the person I watched it with started having our memories of it blurred into one big mess together with The Hunger Games. "Remember that one guy with the tattoo who hated Katniss? Oh wait, that was the other movie." :roll: Can you blame us really? The movies are almost entirely similar in setup.

I've been slowly working my way through the entire James Bond collection, starting with Dr. No (obviously). Most of them are still surprisingly strong movies and extremely watchable and enoyable. The cinematography on some of them is incredible as well. I'm now about halfway (the spy who loved me, 1977). The most obvious conclusion I've made so far is that Sean Connery is a total pimp, and that the earliest Bond movies are extremely sexist. Like, not sexist in the sense that there are pretty girls who invariably fall in love with Bond, but "slap on the ass 'darling, the men are going to speak so leave us'" sexist. Unironically. It's like travelling back in time. :lol:

- Coach

Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:05 am
Stranger

Every other year they show entire Bond collection from start to finish on local tv.

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:24 am
Minor Diety

Well yes, that and all JC Van Damme and Seagal movies ever made. I swear they broadcast Bloodsport 5 times a year. :roll: Not that I'm complaining, it's a great movie!

- Coach

Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:19 pm
Minor Diety

I've been watching all 6 Star Wars movies in succession over the last 2 weeks.

Not being clouded by nostalgia anymore (as the 'new' movies are now 10+ years old too), I can safely say that Episodes 1-3 are really fairly shit. The Phantom Menace is a boring, dull movie. Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith are ok, but still had me almost doze off at times.

Compare that to episodes 4-6 which had me entertained almost non-stop...even if I was watching the touched up versions (with some extra content), which is sacrilege to the purists. :rolleyes:

Wonder what the new movie will be like. I'm not expecting too much. Lucas already raped Indiana Jones in the Crystal Skull, so y'know...

- Coach

Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:30 am
Felix Rex

Ahh, but George Lucas isn't in charge of this one. :) Early reviews are positive, though I'm very assiduously avoiding spoilers. I go see it tomorrow night, which is opening night for all of us that don't blow people in Hollywood. Shiny and I will be going in costume. :roll: I expect the movie to be good, at least to the same degree that I consider Avengers to be good. But Star Wars instead of crap I don't really care that much about.

Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:34 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

... and later in the news, a couple was brutally mauled by angry mob due to poor cosplay costume quality. :D

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:51 pm
Felix Rex

Pffft.... poor quality? You don't know me very well. :wink:

Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:45 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

So lets see, there's loads of movies i've watched:

The Gunman (starring Shawn Penn) - Liked it. Although the story is "I see where this is going" right from the start and its mixed with some half assed health condition, in the end it has a certain charm to it and the action is very well paced and executed. I recommend.

Horrible Bosses 2 - Good fun. Not wise to watch when children are around though.

Hangover 3 - Good one.

Exodus Gods and Kings - Watchable but lacks charm for me.

Jupiter Ascending - Average at best.

Interstellar - I recommend. I liked it.

Gone Girl (starring Ben Affleck) - This one you either hate or like. I liked it.

Lincoln (starring Daniel Day Lewis and Tommy Lee Jones) - Not much of a fan of politics but this movie i really liked.

Monuments Men - Nope.

The bourne legacy - I actually liked this more than Bourne Supremacy and Ultimatum. But not as much as Bourne Identity. Id much rather see a sequel to the legacy rather than ultimatum. but they already said that wont be happening.

EDIT: Forgot one

The murdering of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford - Now this movie is definitely a hate or love movie. It's not an action western, it's more like something else. The pace is slow, the movie is long (2,5hours) but the acting is above and beyond brilliant. It stars Casey Affleck and Brad Pitt and they truly shine in this movie. This is the second time a completely random movie has been a completely positive surprise for me.

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:07 pm
Felix Rex

Just watched Star Wars: The Force Awakens. :P I'll need a couple days (and watching it again on Saturday) to give a truly informed opinion, but right now, I liked it. :twisted:

Other movies... I may have mentioned some of these.

Cloud Atlas - I really liked it, though Shiny did not.
Avengers: Age of Ultron - meh. It's ok, but nothing spectacular imo.
Mad Max: Fury Road - Good movie. Should've been called Furiosa: Fury Road though. Or Furiosa: Max Road or something.
Interstellar - loved it. Watched it awhile ago in the theaters.
Get Hard - bleh. Marginally entertaining. Better with copious amounts of alcohol.
Ex Machina - Good movie

Anyway, that's probably enough for now. :)

Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:34 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Having watched Star Wars: The Force Awakens twice and had several days to process it and get off the "OMFG Star Wars!" high, I still like the movie. I highly recommend seeing it if you like Star Wars at all. Even if you're not a Star Wars fan, you should probably watch it. It helps to be familiar with the original trilogy, but isn't required.

It does leave a lot of questions unanswered, but it has two more movies to answer them. I'm personally looking very much forward to Rogue One (next year) and Star Wars episode 8 in 2017. I hate waiting. :roll:

Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:56 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I saw the movie (Star Wars) a few days ago as well, and I have to agree with Satis: it's good, even very good. It hits almost all the right spots: the pacing is generally pretty spot on, its references to the old movies are fun without getting too WINK WINK, the actors are well-cast, the cinematography is at times gorgeous (opening scene with the bloody hand for one) and it does that serious-but-with-some-fun vibe of the original trilogy so well.

It's almost like Episodes 1-2-3 never happened. :lol:

Like Satis said, it leaves a loooot to be explained though. But it works. It was quite similar in A New Hope. It's easy to forget that figures like Obi Wan, Vader, and definitely Emperor were still pretty mysterious and/or vague in that movie. It's only later that we got a wider frame of reference for them.

I have to say though, the narrative parallels to A New Hope are almost eerie. Allow me...

Rey = Luke, Finn = Han (kinda), BB8 = R2D2, First Order = Empire, Ren = Vader, Snoke = Emperor, Luke/Han = Obi Wan, Maz = Yoda, Maz' bar = Mos Eisley, Poe = Wedge, Leia = Leia, Sun gun = Death Star

Not that it needs to be a problem though. Like I sent to my friend after watching it: "It's more Hero's Journey and less COOL LAZOR SWORD BATTLEZ". :) Oh, and I laughed out loud at the thumbs up from BB8. :D

Comments on some of the movies you guys mentioned (that I saw):

Interstellar = I agree, very good. Amazing how McConaughey went from being, well, him, to such a great actor. :)
Monuments Men = bored me to tears
The Murder of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford = I agree with you completely Peltz. It's a masterpiece. It's a movie that takes its time though, without any superfluous dialogue, so yeah, I think you need to be in the right state of mind to enjoy it completely.
Avengers: Age of Ultron = decent, like almost all of the Marvel movies, but also equally forgettable.
Mad Max: Fury Road = watched it yesterday and loved it to bits. What a sheer piece of gasoline pumping brutality. It's like a beautiful punch in the gut. :) But yeah, not sure why Max was even in the movie. Theron kills it. What a performance.
Ex Machina = great movie. Creepy too. The manipulator/inventor guy is great in it.

- Coach

Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 792 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 53  Next