It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 792 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53  Next
Good films.. 
Minor Diety

Post Re: Good films..
Chronicle is fantastic, we saw it at the cinema. There was talk of a sequel for a while but I'm guessing that's long gone out the window. It probably felt better to me because when I saw it I hadn't seen 70,000 other super hero films, Marvel was still in their slower phases then ;) It's basically the film version of Misfits, if any of you have seen that TV Series

Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:47 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Definitely not in the right place (the title of the thread being 'good films') but I finally saw the Assassin's Creed movie and it was so bad. :lol: Despite a cast of Fassbender, Cotillard, Irons, Gleeson...how did they get all those actors to sign on for such a terrible movie?!

I also saw Morbius and Birds of Prey (the Harley Quinn DC movie). The former was just terrible, it felt like a 2 hour commercial for the extended Sony marvel universe. A bad one, at that. The latter was surprisingly decent. Nothing I'd recommend but at least you won't hate it. :)

- Coach

Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:41 am
Minor Diety

I actually enjoyed the AC movie. Possibly because I went in expecting it to be terrible. It probably also helped that I'd read the book that went with it first which explained why they'd made the animus so fucking weird. That genuinely annoyed me every time I saw it in the trailers until I'd read the book, then I was like "Oh ok that actually makes sense. You're forgiven" :P Certainly not like "omg amazing movie" but not completely awful

Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:30 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

I'm with Pev on this one. For me AC was average++. But then again I really like the Prince of Persia movie with Gyllenhaal. I recently re-watched 'The Raid - Redemption' on a ferry ride from Helsinki to Tallinn. If you haven't seen it, you need to watch it for the action scenes. The very definition of action movie.

I also watched DnD which was ok. In addition I watched 'Operation Mincemeat' about ww2 decoy op, way weaker than I expected.

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:07 am
Felix Rex

Have you guys watched Sisu? That movie is ridiculous. It's set toward the end of WWII in Finland with a gold prospector running into some Nazis. It starts off Seal Team, quickly moves to Rambo, then kicks things up to God Incarnate. I won't say it's a good movie, but it may be worth watching. :mrgreen:

Mostly we've been rewatching movies. Rewatched Lucy (I still like it even though it's psuedo-scientific bullshit), Upgrade (also pretty good) and the 3 Riddicks films, Pitch Black, Chronicles of Riddick and Riddick. They were... not so great. But that's ok.

Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:57 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Seems like I'm the only person who didn't kind of like the Assassin's Creed movie :lol: And yeah, that animus looked so fucking weird :P

I haven't seen Sisu yet but it does look like my kind of movie. Same for The Raid! Hail suomi! ;-)

Is anyone gonna watch Oppenheimer or Barbie? :P I've got my eye set on the new Mission Impossible movie!

Wtf are you talking about Satsi, the Riddick Trilogy was great! Ok, the first and second one...the third one I could take or leave :roll:

- Coach

Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:29 am
Felix Rex

I have very good memories of the Riddick movies, but when I rewatched them I was like ... huh. That's a lot worse than I remember. Ah well, they were still ok. Not like some of the other movies I used to love as a kid.

I have not watched Barbenheimer. However, I do plan on watching both at some point. I think I have tentative plans to watch Oppenheimer in the theater with my sis and brother in law. I do not particularly want to watch Mission Impossible, especially with it being broken into 2 parts. Maybe once the second movie is released I'll watch both back to back.

Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:25 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Peltz wrote:
I'm with Pev on this one. For me AC was average++. But then again I really like the Prince of Persia movie with Gyllenhaal. I recently re-watched 'The Raid - Redemption' on a ferry ride from Helsinki to Tallinn. If you haven't seen it, you need to watch it for the action scenes. The very definition of action movie.

I also watched DnD which was ok. In addition I watched 'Operation Mincemeat' about ww2 decoy op, way weaker than I expected.

I remember enjoying the Prince of Persia film too. Couldn't tell you anything about it now though haha.

The Raid - Redemption, is that the second one? If so I still need to watch that. The first one was amazing. I think the DnD movie is coming to Prime here soon so it's on the list to watch.

Sometimes it's best not to rewatch movies Satis. I discovered that last year; I always enjoyed the first Matrix film, second was ok, third was total blah to me. But I rewatched #1 recently... fucking hated it. I just kept noticing more and more terrible plot holes; I can ignore a few but not when you're trying to insist how clever your writing is. I couldn't even explain it afterwards, just something about the whole thing rubbed me up the wrong way. I don't think I even finished it!

I can 100% guarantee I won't watch Barbie. Not being a big film person I likely won't watch Oppenheimer either, unless Niall watches it first and tells me I absolutely need to see it. Haven't a clue what it is, just keep seeing it advertised. We were meant to watch Dune at the weekend but I wasn't in the mood so told him to just watch it on his own sometime.

Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:34 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

I've rewatched the original Matrix a few times over the years. I still enjoy it, though sure, there are plenty of problems with it. Not as many as with the second or third films, of course. :roll:

Oh, we watched Extraction 2 on Netflix fairly recently. The first extraction wasn't very good. The second one kicked the dumb up a couple notches. Sometimes you just want to drink and watch stupid action movies though, so whatever.

So, I loved the original Dune movie, I loved the Dune books, and I loved the recent Dune. I'm pretty excited about the second part later this year. The cinematography alone is really excellent for the recent one. If you can see it in 4k HDR (or a theater) I'd highly recommend it.

Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:31 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I still have to see the first Dune movie (the first new one, I mean) but I missed it when it was in theaters and currently only have a crappy TV/PC and don't want to ruin it by watching it on that. Let's hope there are theaters who will play the first part again when the second one comes out. Sort of what Satis said about the Mission Impossible movie.

I watched Extraction I and yeah it was mostly enjoyable for the brutal and over the top action, otherwise it was fairly meh. I think Hemsworth was happy to just have a good Netflix paycheck and not worry too much about his fairly limited acting skills. :lol: But the dude definitely can pull off action stuff!

Me shaking my head at Pev not knowing who or what Oppenheimer is :P

- Coach

Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:09 am
Minor Diety

I know who he is, just no idea what exactly the film is about. Not really being bothered by films I don't hear about them unless a) Niall tells me something has been announced as being in production that he's interested in or b) the world starts rabbiting on about it for some reason.

Speaking of the first part of the new Dune films, we finally watched it. Niall wanted to go to the cinema to see it but we didn't for some reason. I really enjoyed it (never read the book, only know bits that Niall's friend has told us about and of course about the worms). I really liked the designs on everything. Maybe we'll actually see part 2 at the cinema.

Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:44 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

So far I have liked all film/tv adaptations of dune. I liked the first dune game as well, dune2 too. I think there was one or two more but those I didn't play.

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:09 pm
Minor Diety

We watched "The Whale" yesterday on Amazon. I'd seen the adverts and was intrigued. It's not a bad watch. Something felt... odd about the end but also there was no other possible end. It definitely pulled at the heartstrings a few times.

Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:56 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Watched John Wick 4 a couple of weeks ago. Still good and worth the watch if you want to "finish" the story (in quotes because they left at least 3 ways to continue things if they wanted to but they say it's ended) but it definitely needed to end. If they'd kept the action the same as the first film I'd still think it was really cool, but they seem to have felt the need to go bigger each time and it's just unbelievable now. It gives video game vibes where he has a health bar. Multiple times we thought there's no way he could possibly get up from something, even with bulletproof clothing on. But yeah, worth a watch to finish if you've seen the other 3.

Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:11 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Yea, the bullet proof clothing in John Wick 4 kind of ruined it for me. It was marginally (very marginally) believable with the full body armor, but they just keep trying to go bigger and it just went dumb. The falling down the stairs thing toward the end was completely silly as well. I dunno... John Wick 3 had some pretty dumb moments as well. I really with they'd stuck with the original's formula which was at least somewhat plausible. err.. sorry... rant off.

I haven't really watched many movies lately. I'm not sure if that's due to the actor and writers strikes or if there just hasn't been anything worth watching. Probably the strikes, honestly.

Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:37 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 792 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53  Next