It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 792 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 53  Next
Good films.. 
Minor Diety

Post Re: Good films..
The fuuuuuuuuck

That's like Kane and Lynch 2 with black guys!

- Coach

Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:53 am
Felix Rex

lol, wow... those are some awesome special fx and props. Some of those prop guns are... amazing.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:36 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I watch Religulous yesterday...it's basically a documentary about religion (in general), which goes 'dudes...wtf'. It's presented and spearheaded by Bill Maher who is an outspoken atheist, and focuses both on the hilarious ridiculousness of many religious aspects and the scary parts. A must-see for anyone, tbh.

- Coach

Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:36 am
Minor Diety

Yeah I saw it a while back (and even posted a review if I remember correctly).

A few films I saw recently:

The Book Of Eli: :jade: :jade: :jade: /5
Inception: 0/5
Public Enemies: 0/5

Book of Eli is actually a good film. What lets it down is the ending. It's a hugely subjective and simplistic finale which lets down the whole Fallout-style meat of the film. Nice scenes and a characters. Excellent action and a pretty novel theme.

Inception. Total gash. Granted, I watched only the first 10 minutes, but only because I couldn't bear watching Leo Di Caprio in any more overdone and senseless action scenes. The film requires you to know what the fuck it's on about from the start, since I was at a complete loss throughout the bombardment of dialog and killings in the first 10 minutes. Di Caprio is not an action actor.

Public Enemies: Another mis-cast, this time Johnny Depp. This is essentually an action film set in pre-war times during the depression. Johnny Depp is some kind of gangster that breaks out of jail in the first 5 minutes in the most retarded way (inmates smuggle in dozens of pistols, submachineguns and shotguns). Then the crew go and rob banks. The "goody" is Christian Bale, but he seems to pull off a rather "don't-give-a-shit" performance. Stopped watching after 20 minutes. It's one of those films that forgets to add the finishing touches on everything. For example, inmates and gangsters fleeing through a forest in pristine slick hair and clean clothes. You can smell the camera crew.

Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:24 am
Minor Diety

Haha, I haven't seen Public Enemies but Inception is defo worth more than 0/5...it wasn't the amazing and 'complicated' film that was praised by the critics, but it was definitely good. I'll try and watch Book of Eli soon.

- Coach

Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:29 am
Felix Rex

I think I'm going to ignore Derf's reviews from now on. :roll:

Inception imo was pretty good. If you don't watch the whole movie, I don't think you should really pass judgement. :roll: Hell, I think the first 10 minutes of that movie are all in a dream anyway. At any rate, it's not as great as it could have been, but it's pretty good. I'd probably give it 3.5 or 4 out of 5. If they'd pushed a few things more, and avoided some of the lame hollywoodness, it could've been a full 5.

I didn't much like Book of Eli. It was a decent movie, but the premise was pretty lame, and the zomg at the end was ridiculous. I like the post-apocalyptic world... I always like those... but the book? Seriously? I think history has shown that people have exactly the opposite reaction when tragedy strikes.

Public Enemies was ok, imo. I'm not that big into the whole genre, though. I'd probably give it 2.5 out of 5.

BTW, did you guys hear there's going to be another Matrix. :roll: Maybe I'll be surprised.

Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:52 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Will it be lamer than Matrix 3? :)

Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:22 pm
Felix Rex

Magic 8-ball says YES

But who knows, maybe they'll atone for their previous sins (Matrix 2 and 3)

Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:07 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Watched the entire 3 first seasons of True Blood while I was away, on recommendation from a friend.

Review: season 1 was great, season 2 was pretty meh, season 3 was good again but left too many questions unanswered. Also, the whole "Oh I'm a normal girl but suddenly all these hunky and DANGEROUS vampires who actuall get weak in the knees for me want me so bad" mixed with a sort of abusive relationship (main character always going back to the guys who cause her pain) makes it vaguely reminiscent of the Twilight series and oh so very much a housewife fantasy...you know, having dangerous bad boys vying for your love but in the end they're just harmless. :roll:

Also, I have been told many of the Southern accents suck ass, but I'll leave that to the discretion of Shiny and Satis. ;) (I know you don't live in Louisiana, but still)

(and as a redhead lover I can't get enough of Jessica :P )

- Coach

Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:29 pm
Felix Rex

Yes, Jessica is hot. Not to ruin anything, but there's a reason that vampires like the protagonist. Things do get a bit carried away with her, in the tv series and in the books, but not like Tom Clancy. :P

At any rate, if you really liked the tv series, check out the books. They're different... very different in some places. But still quite good.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Yeah I've seen all of series so I know what you mean. Haven't read the books tho, so I may do that.

Some remarks:

-Sookie's evil laugh when she poors the King's lover's remains down the garbage disposal...forebodes something?
-Sam probably didn't really shoot his brother or they would have shown him being shot
-Tara is an excruciatingly poor character
-Sam's progression from nice guy to ex-criminal and murderer seems a bit forced
-FLYING vampires, really?! I mean, not aging, feeding on blood and even increased speed and reflexes, that can be explained by physics to some extent. But flying, that's just straight up magic (and lame)
-overall, I feel the series has moved away from an interesting premise (vampire civil rights, racism, etc) to some over-the-top storylines. The whole Marianne thing was hilarious.
-Lafayette is pretty cool
-and because it warrants repeating, Jessica is smokkkinnnggg :D

- Coach

Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:45 pm
Count

I very much say read the books they are very good. I have read every one to date and have the next one pre-ordered. The series is nice and not bad for book going to series, with lots of hotties, but it can never touch imagination drawn from the books.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:51 pm
Minor Diety

Mmm ok. And the Southern accents, what's the verdict on that? ;)

One for the road:

- Coach

Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:54 pm
Count

well if you have ever played games with me when I am drunk - then you are getting southern accents. So yes, they are not correct. It is like when I try to speak french in my idea of french accent, just not the same.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:01 pm
Felix Rex

to answer some of your spoiler questions
-Sookie's evil laugh when she poors the King's lover's remains down the garbage disposal...forebodes something? - dunno... didn't happen in the books, I don't think
-Sam probably didn't really shoot his brother or they would have shown him being shot - in the books, he doesn't even have a brother. But yea, I doubt he shot him, it's out of character.
-Tara is an excruciatingly poor character - she's completely different in the books. Also has less of a role in the story. I agree, though, the tv series version is shallow.
-Sam's progression from nice guy to ex-criminal and murderer seems a bit forced - yea, it's a bit weird, but then again, when he was younger he did rob peoples' houses and shit. *shrug*
-FLYING vampires, really?! I mean, not aging, feeding on blood and even increased speed and reflexes, that can be explained by physics to some extent. But flying, that's just straight up magic (and lame) - haha.. that's in the books too. I don't think they ever explain it, but how do you explain shape shifting?
-overall, I feel the series has moved away from an interesting premise (vampire civil rights, racism, etc) to some over-the-top storylines. The whole Marianne thing was hilarious. - it actually follows the books, more or less. In generalities, they're very similar.
-Lafayette is pretty cool - yea... totally different in the books. I won't say any more.
-and because it warrants repeating, Jessica is smokkkinnnggg :D - Hell yea! I take her over Sookie any day. Or both at the same time, I could do that.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:15 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 792 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 53  Next